Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trapped in Eircom Support Call HELL !!

• 16-06-2006 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I had the most horrific time this afternoon trying to get a small problem fixed for a client. They had broadband installed but didn't get the fixed IP Address that they had ordered.

Having phoned the number that I used to place the initial order, I was put onto the support magic-roundabout whereby each person I spoke to told me that they couldn't help me and that it was a sales issue or a support issue or a business broadband issue, yada, yada, yada.....

When I wasn't being told to ring yet another number, I was being transferred to another department who told me to ring another number. What was making this even worse (and making my blood boil) was the delays in getting my calls answered - 10 minutes waiting at one point, only to be told to ring the number that had referred me to this number. AAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

On two occasions when I got through to support - which appeared to be a foreign-based call-centre (based on the accents of the operators) I was immediately cut off when I began my call by saying that I would need my call escalated. WTF was that about?

At this point I was screaming things at the phone that I wouldn't like to write down here for posterity, but be assured that there was a lot of very blue air around me!!!

I just counted the phone numbers that I called - there are 7 of them. I thought there were more - maybe it just seemed like it! But I called most of them 3 or more times.

After 90 minutes of phone calls I was practically pleading with each person not to transfer me, not to put me on hold, not to give me another number - "I've already called that number 3 times - they told me to ring you", I would weep.

Just as I was tipping irretrievably over the edge into insanity, I finally got through to someone who was able to help me. Although the issue isn't resolved yet, I at least got to speak to someone who said he would sort it out and who gave me his email address to which I should send the client's details.

I have never, ever been put through the mill like that by any company before and find it very difficult to understand how a situation like that can be permitted.

In fairness, I have to say that in my many dealings with (the various incarnations of) Eircom over many years, I've found them to be reasonably helpful and efficient and I would hope that this disgraceful episode is because my problem seemed to fall between the cracks of who is responsible for what.

If this can happen to a business customer - who are usually treated better than residential customers - I shudder to think that some people may have had an even worse time.

OK, rant over. Blood pressure lowering, forehead vein not throbbing quite so madly now. Time to go home for some medicinal Gin and Tonic!!

Liam

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

why not copy and paste the above post and emal to phil.nolan@eircom.ie?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm highly surprised that eircom business support gave you the runaround.

Maybe you got unlucky and got stuck talking to one of their "summer student" temp staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i presume you know the correct number for eircom BB support? 1890 260 260
    is this the one you dialled?
    its very simple to use, did you know which type of account you have?
    here are the options

home starter>1
    home plus>2
    home professional>3
    business starter>4
    business plus>5
    business enhanced>6

its very clear, ring the broadband number, 1, 2 and 3 are for home support, 4, 5 and 6 are for business, im presuming you rang the wrong number and you got sales or home support? the phone system u should have dialled is very simple to use. the sales staff have not got a clue to be honest but support should have nothing to do with them. there is also another number for the 20 hours bb time package which you maqy have? they handle 1000's of calls a day in there, so if everybody had the same experience as you, it would be mayhem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I didn't get stuck talking to one of their summer temps. I spoke to in excess of 20 entirely different people.

Yes, I rang that support number. I was given that number by an Eircom operator. However, the person in support said that they couldn't help and gave me a number for sales. Sales said it was an issue for Eircom.net and then the next person said it was a support issue. Full circle! I did that a couple of times!

Here are the numbers that I phoned :
    1800 601 701
    1800 503 303
    1800 203 204
    1890 260 260
    1850 220 023

Most of those numbers were given to me by multiple operators as I went round and round.

As well as dialling those numbers multiple times. I was also transferred multiple times.

I do think that my experience was the exception rather than the rule. I don't believe that I'd have to go through that again. At least I hope not.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well the only number you should have rang is the bb support number, and pick your business support option. one of the sales numbers in there is not even for bb, so obvioulsy this is what happens when you ring the wrong number originally. it looks like the mistake was made on the first call and went from there!likewise, the people should check first what the issue is before cutting you off!

• Advertisement

The tone of your reply seems to suggest that my dreadful experience was my fault. And your earlier post, by the way, was a little condescending. I know that if I need support on a broadband issue that I should ring the broadband support number. Duh!

I did phone the Broadband Support number (a number of times). They said they couldn't help me because it was a sales issue. They did listen to my problem. I'm a reasonably articulate person and am well able to present my problem in a clear and understandable manner. There was no problem with communication. The problem was that everybody thought it was someone else's job to deal with my issue.

The problem wasn't that I rang a wrong number initially. The problem was ongoing over an hour and a half. I can deal with being re-directed to another number or transferred to a different person or department. What is disgraceful is an hour and a half of speaking to circa 20 different people before finally getting to speak to someone who could help.

As I've already said, I've dealt with Eircom over many years. I know that sometimes you have to ring around a bit, and most of the time my calls were dealt with efficiently. This was most definitely an exception, but that knowledge was no comfort at all when I was at the end of my tether trying to get my issue resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Getting fixed IP addresses out of eircom requires a lot of patience. The problem seems to be that it's Eircom Net that deals with the IP addresses, not the broadband guys. There's usually no problem applying for the IP address(es), but getting them requires many phone calls. The last time I asked for a supervisor to get it sorted.

Usually what I do when eircom gets into their call transfer loop is to ask everyone what dept he/she is with, where he/she transferring me and why. Eventually you can close the loop by saying I have already been there and I want you to solve the problem for me and if you can't solve it, put me onto your supervisor.

Blaster99 wrote:
    The problem seems to be that it's Eircom Net that deals with the IP addresses, not the broadband guys.
    Yes, that was explained to me by the tech guys in support who were very friendly and sympathetic but ultimately were unable to help.

There's usually no problem applying for the IP address(es), but getting them requires many phone calls. The last time I asked for a supervisor to get it sorted.
    I've had no problem with getting fixed IP addresses from Eircom in the past. I suspect the problem this time was because the order was marked as complete (even though they didn't fill the order) - some people thought it was support because the fixed IP Address wasn't activated, others thought it was a sales issue because sales hadn't specified the order properly. Sheesh!

Usually what I do when eircom gets into their call transfer loop is to ask everyone what dept he/she is with, where he/she transferring me and why. Eventually you can close the loop by saying I have already been there and I want you to solve the problem for me and if you can't solve it, put me onto your supervisor.
    Excellent suggestion. I'll be sure to follow that advice.

Regards,

Liam

Advertisement