Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote viewing of Web Cam

• 16-06-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a webcam connected via a laptop in my kids room, I have my main pc downstairs in another room connected via ethernet to a Netopia wireless router/modem. The laptop can connect to the internet via the netopia modem/router.

I want to be able to view the webcam on the laptop from the main pc downstairs. What would be the easiest way of setting this up ?

Will i need to connect the main pc via a wireless access point to see the laptop or can i connect to the laptop thru the netopia modem/router ?

The netopia is model nbr 3347wg if its any help ..

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Robxxx7 wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a webcam connected via a laptop in my kids room, I have my main pc downstairs in another room connected via ethernet to a Netopia wireless router/modem. The laptop can connect to the internet via the netopia modem/router.

I want to be able to view the webcam on the laptop from the main pc downstairs. What would be the easiest way of setting this up ?

Will i need to connect the main pc via a wireless access point to see the laptop or can i connect to the laptop thru the netopia modem/router ?
    You should be able to talk between any devices connected to the Netopia, whether they are wired or connected wirelessly.

Probably the simplest solution would be to log in to MSN Messenger on both machines, and start a video converstion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I've tried pinging between the main pc and the laptop but they don't see each other :(

If i used MSN Messenger, would i need to use that thru the internet ?
    I could i guess use the remote desktop function on WindowsXP to bring the desktop to my view locally and have the webcam on that way ..but unless i can connect to the laptop then it won't work

I haven't tried it, but LogiSphere appears to set up a webserver on your computer that you can connect to from another computer, and see video from a webcam connected to "server" computer (your laptop). It's freeware.

I just tried it, and LogiSphere works as described. Just run it, select your camera, enable the web server, and access the webserver from the other machine at http://192.168.0.whatever:8080. By default, you get a still image, but there's a link on the page to get a live stream. It took about 3 minutes to setup and install.

thanks, i was just looking through the forum on their website ..looks like it will do just the thing ..thanks very much for your spot on help :)

• Advertisement

Robxxx7 wrote:
    I've tried pinging between the main pc and the laptop but they don't see each other :(
    That's probably a firewall issue, rather than a networking issue. Disable the Windows Firewall on one of the machines, and see if you can ping it from the other one. (Control Panel, Network Connections. There should be a Firewall icon, either at the bottom, or on the left, depending on what way your Control Panel is configured).

I don't think the Netopia itself is likely to be blocking traffic between different LAN cients. (Silly question, but is there any chance that the wireless machine is actually connected to your neighbours wireless router :D)
    If i used MSN Messenger, would i need to use that thru the internet ?
    yes. It won't be a particluarly efficient way to do it, but it is probably the simplest way to get a "video chat" set up. You would need two different Passport IDs, though.
    I could i guess use the remote desktop function on WindowsXP to bring the desktop to my view locally and have the webcam on that way ..but unless i can connect to the laptop then it won't work
    Your webcam might not work over a remote desktop session - Remote desktop works so well in part because it disables a lot of "high bandwidth" stuff.

thanks for all your help :)

Can ping between pc's now, looks like it was the firewall stopping it ..so thats grand ..also i have set up the Logisphere program and that works great too :)

its amazing spend all day trying to figure things out ..and then within 5 minutes of leaving a message on the board ..all sorted ... thanks once again

Advertisement