Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recomend me a wireless card

• 16-06-2006 8:23pm

I'm looking for a good wireless card based on the Prism 2 chipset.

Cheap and chearful is the name of the game with this one!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

for Linux? assuming so since it is in the Unix forum...
    I'd recommend a Sweex card since they use the ra2500 chipset and run ubuntu with it works from the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Dunno about Prism 2 stuff, but the Netgear WG311T (Atheros chipset) also works straight out the box in Ubuntu (MadWiFi drivers). Dunno if you'd class €80 as cheap though ^_^

I'm sure all NetGear cards use the same chipset so you could buy a reasonably cheap card from Netgear. Or else get a Sweex wireless card they are very cheap and they use the Ralink 2500 chipset so it will run out of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Personal choice is Atheros or Prism

As there supported under the madwifi drivers

I picked mine up on ebay

so are the Ralink 2500 cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Dunno about Prism 2 stuff, but the Netgear WG311T (Atheros chipset) also works straight out the box in Ubuntu (MadWiFi drivers). Dunno if you'd class €80 as cheap though ^_^

yeah seconded MadWiFi is the way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Jakkass wrote:
    I'm sure all NetGear cards use the same chipset so you could buy a reasonably cheap card from Netgear. Or else get a Sweex wireless card they are very cheap and they use the Ralink 2500 chipset so it will run out of the box.

No, they don't -- have to be very careful of this.
    Sometimes same models have different chipsets (diffferent revision numbers)

I'd also recommend madwifi/atheros, good support in Linux(RH anyway (although must use external repo), and going from what others said Ubuntu, I also recall SuSE having the needed drivers)/BSD.

For supported cards :
    http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility#HardwareSupportedbyMadWifi

Advertisement