Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please help

Options
  • 16-06-2006 9:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39

I'm wondering whether or not to get a new processor or if its even nessecary.
    My specs are:

1GB DDR RAM
    256MB Radeon 9800xt
    Audigy2 zs
    Pentium 4 2.00GHZ processor

Would upgrading to a newer proccesor give much of a performance boost with games and such?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What motherboard have you got and what does it support?

What games do you play or intend to play?

Have you overclocked your parts already? < this is the OCing forum Computers tech may get you a better response.

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 BlueSteel69

All i know is its this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-DIMENSION-4550-MOTHERBOARD-J0592-6U214-M0321_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ1244QQitemZ6879634452QQrdZ1

Not too sure bout the excact specs but i'm guessing another pentium 4 is all i can go for without buying a new motherboard

Nothings been overclocked and dont think it can be

Btw, games i can play fine are Doom 3, Half Life 2, FEAR but ones that are causing hassle are Call of Duty 2, Hitman Blood Money and Battlefield 2. Would a faster processor make much differance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

You could a buy a new Socket 478 CPU but if you intend to play something other than ....umm what you play or want to play?

Of course a new CPU is great but could be useless if you play Counter Strike a Gameboy can run that .

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have a similar dell, came with a P4 2Ghz, 400Mhz FSB. The board itself is rated for 533Mhz FSB so I picked up a 2.8Ghz, 533Mhz from boards. Decent upgrade. Be carefull though you need a socket 478 P4 and the 800Mhz FSB ones won't work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 BlueSteel69

Cheers for the advice lads. Will shop around and see what i can find, dont think that pentium 4's would be too pricy these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054946434
    That chip would probably do you but it's a celeron so hard to tell if it'd be any better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

KdjaC wrote:
    What motherboard have you got and what does it support?

What games do you play or intend to play?

Have you overclocked your parts already? < this is the OCing forum Computers tech may get you a better response.

kdjac

well its obviously a agpx8 board, as afaik 9800xt was about 18months before pci-e

Advertisement