Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone water damage

• 16-06-2006 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

OK I left the sunroof open and it rained and my blackberry got destroyed , I dried it out and took the battery out etc, but now it doesn't work.

I know I most likely wont be able to take it back to life , but can phones be fixed after water damage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I dont think any place will take back a phone that has water damage. Have you tried leaving wrapped up in a towel over a radiator for a couple of days or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

don't put it on a radiator. take it apart and just leave it on a desk or something for a week or two. it probably won't work but putting it on a radiator will warp the electronics. it has to dry as slowly as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

my dads 3410 got water damaged and he kept it in the wardrobe for months and i was going to take the screen for parts but low and behold it turned on fine put it somehwhere dark and cool for 2-3 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I saw a programme about this on the Gadget show on Bravo (A channel on Sky) Anyway the best advice it gave was open it up the best you can without physically breaking it, Remove express on covers and keypads etc. Never ever attempt to turn a phone on after it gets wet as it will short out the circuits. Instead open it up as much as you can, use a torx screwdriver to open it more at your own risk.

Then when you have it all opened up swap off any moisture with a tissue Q-tip etc. Don't use a hairdryer, as the heat would not be good for it.

Anyway then put the phone under two office lamps (you know with the bendy neck) use them with a 60watt bulb (if they are rated for a 60watt bulb) just leave the light on over the phone for about three days and voila it should dry it out, providing you opened it up.

This method worked on a Nokia 3410 Phone, A MP3 Player and even a ordinary radio. An iPod shuffle was tested too but failed as it was sealed unit and could not be opened to let the moisture dry out slowly.

It may save you a few hundred yo yo's on a new blackberry. Try it all you can do is fail :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

My NEC E616V fell down the toilet last night. Absorbed as much water as possible. I took out the batter and left it for a few hours over night while I was asleep. Put the battery back in in the morning and behold it turned on. But not much functioning. Put it behind my 360 to heat up and evaporate all the water off with the battery out obviously for the guts of a day. ITs working fine now. Basically what I'd of advised is power it off and take battery out as soon as you could of and place where there may be a warm and dry flow of air ( like behind my 360 ) but nothing too hot. As mentioned above too much heat isn't good for you're phone either. That dried off my phone. But then again I'm sure it depends on each phone how it will cope with the water. I certainly didn't think mine would survive because it fell right down and i struggled to get it out, went behind the U pipe bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement