Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema speakers

• 16-06-2006 11:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get new 5.1 speakers. I was thinking of one with the sub and Amp combined, but not one with the DVd player built into the amp. I have a set at the moment I got from e bay at €200, but they not great. I hooked up a Bose Lifestyle 18 system in a friends house and the sound was great, but I dont really want that DVD/MP3 box as I have a media centre pc with a 5.1 output that will connect into an amp.
    I was also looking for one with a optical input (maybe even 2) as my media pc can output over an optical cable (reducing all those leads) and my NTL box has one too, this is handy for bypassing the PC and just watching TV normally.

At the moment I can do all this, but the speakers are a bit light weight. My room is wired for floor stand speakers so that would have to be a condition.

I'd pay from €1000 to €1500. If anyone has any info it would be great. Saw a nice KEF set on Ebay for €1020 but I dont really want to go down that road just yet.

Thanks

Stoner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Have you had a look at some B&W speakers and Monitor speakers.
    You could have a look at richersounds.ie, they may have a few online.

I have a set of bose 301's, they are however bookshelf speakers, but are excellent in terms of bass and sound quality. Some people say bose is overpriced, I would have to agree in terms, but the quality is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Thanks sparky,

I liked the look of the Tannoy Arena set. I have a Sony Dedicated amp at home that I dont use. Its about 4 years old and I hope it can deliver decent sound otherwiose I'll replace it, originally got it in richer sounds.

I checked out Harvey Normans yesterday. They have some nice stuff ranging from 900 to 1500 euro range, amp and speakers sets never heard of some of the names though. I kind of got out of the loop with some of the brands, and I dont really want to listen to some sales reps because regarding stuff I do know about many of em tell a few tall stories .

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&SUB=100&ProductID=383

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Would you believe I have never been to Harvey Normans. I must visit them some time.

Advertisement