Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Count of Monte Cristo

Options
  • 17-06-2006 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

i bought this book last year and have never got round to reading it. now i have a big pile of books to read, i was wondering if anyone had read it and what they thought about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I read it last year and absolutely loved it! It puts all the films to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Literally one of my favourite books. THE revenge novel. At times meandering, but the end is fantastic IMO.

The films are bare bones summations of the plot and I think you lose a lot of the intensity Dumas injects into Dantes's quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

cheers lads, ill give it a read then

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

I read The Count. last year and it was to be one of my favourite books of all time, its range from Dante's prison life to his taste for revenge is well written. Enjoyable read...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

read it when I moved to london first, 5 or 6 years ago..

Fantastic, one of the best books ever imho :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pixielady

in the process of reading it now ... i'm savouring it and taking my time its definitely worth reading

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

One of my favourite books ever! Bought it in Paris years ago when I had a few hours to kill waiting for my sister to finish work. That may have been a good thing as I did find the first hundred pages or so difficult to get into (partly because of the older style language which I always need a while to get used to before I can read as quickly as a modern book) but as I had nothing better to do I just got stuck in and ended up becoming completely engrossed. Usually read it about once a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Just finished reading it. Really enjoyed it. It is a huge read but its well worth it. Sometimes chapters seem like their going nowhere (
    The Luigi Vampa chapter especially!
    ) and are just needless side stories to the counts quest for revenge but they all figure eventually.

I found that it was quite easy to get into as the first 20 chapters or so are really good but it drags for 10 chapters or so before it takes off again. Once you get over this, youll finish it no problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just finished reading this for the first time, and absolutely loved it. It has shot straight up to one of my favourites of all time.

Agree that the films give nothing but the bare bones of the story and they don't hold a candle to the book.

Great characters, great story, made me sad when I was finished it because I knew I'd never, ever get to read it for a first time again. Some parts were so intense that they actually hurt. Just loved it.
    Misty Moon wrote:
    One of my favourite books ever! Bought it in Paris years ago ...

Does this mean that you read it in French? If so then I'm rather impressed. I only read it in English (latest Penguin version).

Advertisement