Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Many People Have Used My Thread To Buy From The Uk????

Options
  • 17-06-2006 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering how may people have actually gone and bought a car from the UK using the information provided above.

Loads of people I told said I was mad for providing all the info when I could have made money doing it but I'd prefer to see people beating the system over here.

Just wondering.

Have you used the above to actual buy a car in the UK? 25 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Am Considering
    44% 11 votes
    No
    56% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Ive read it, very good. im located in the uk presently and so dont have to pay vrt, but i would far rather buy used in the uk, with a glove box full of invoices and vin checks with hpi than some pile of irish scrap thats never had its oil changed. saving a few quid along with better choice and higher spec is a big bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Robertr wrote:
    Loads of people I told said I was mad for providing all the info when I could have made money doing it

What happened to your business, doing just that: buying cars in the UK and selling them on here for a profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

unkel wrote:
    What happened to your business, doing just that: buying cars in the UK and selling them on here for a profit?

Was never a business, just a hobbie. Have been working in Financail services for the last 10 years which is where the real money is for me. Nice to sell the odd car though.:D

Anyway, would prefer to let others do it for themselves then screw them like all the other garages in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Padwick

Well as you may have gathered, I am considering at the moment and probably will go for a UK car. The thread is a great help to anyone not really in the know about what it takes to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I have used it as a basis for the ground work to get a car in to the UK. With the greatest respect this post gave me the process to follow I still checked with the relevant authorities to ensure you were correct! And you were.

So thanks.

A small thing though I found different between the Post and experience was the V5 form. I didn't submit it to the UK I handed into the VRT office and they handled it!

Also, legally you need to register the car that next working day with the VRT and you have 3 days (not 30) to get Irish plates on it! I noticed this on the form I was given by the VRT upon registration (it said get the Irish plates within 3 days).

Thanks for sharing the info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I used your thread and it has some very good tips, (although I am not sure if I followed them all as I should have but anyway) I brought a car over last week and everything went okay. To people thinking about doing this it is worth bearing in mind that the Bank of Ireland UK no longer issues cash or drafts for either its Irish or UK customers. I got a bad land on this, read my post on the 2nd last page of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Yup it really brought my attention to the value to be had so i went over last year. Easy as pie.

Will be heading over again in the next few months. Cheers Robert!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

It made me decide to get a UK import, an as a result I got a very decent full spec 206 in excellent nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I have used it. I would like to thank you Robert, it really helped me. I'm now the proud owner of a CupraR which I dont think I would have got if I didnt have the above tread to guide me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks - got myself a 2003 2L exec accord with 25,000 miles in Scotland using info on the thread - very pleased with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

your thread alerted me to the criminal prices over here-and as such am going over to yorkshire on thurs and boating back on fri. Should see a nice 106gti for under half what they are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Great to hear all!!! Tell everyone you know. If we can't get rid of the VRT at least we can save a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

your thread alerted me to the criminal prices over here-and as such am going over to yorkshire on thurs and boating back on fri. Should see a nice 106gti for under half what they are here.

Make sure you get the complete Certificate of Registration (V5) or you will have the same problems here as I am currently having when you go to pay the VRT in your local VRO. See my thread about it here

Advertisement