Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillip K. Dick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'd like to add to that list Eye in the Sky, one of his earlier books, written in 1957 and now probably hard to find.

I read it years ago, and what had a lasting impression on me was its description of a literal Christian world, where things worked as the bible says they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Personally, I thought the movie of Scanner Darkly was very good. As Tree said it was very close to the book without slavishly following it (
    Donna wasn't Bob's supervisor in the book, was she? Its been a while since I read it
    ) Robert Downey Jr was excellent as Barris - he really added to the role. Keanu - well what can you say - he's a very good-looking fella and that was probably necessary to get the film made but he wasn't ideal for the role of Bob who I thought of as being a bit more introspective. The house they lived in was perfect - just as described in the book. And they kept in all the best scenes like the bicycle gear bit as mentioned by Ciderman. I missed Bob's 'cephscope though and the scene where Donna says "Look, there's one of those new Porches with two engines" - Cant have everything I suppose.
    Also - Rotoscope? Did that actually add anything to the movie? I'm not sure.
    The scramble suit was cool though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i think the scramble suits look better for the rotoscope, it'd be damned hard to make them look that well usin live action and cgi
    it's not mentioned or implied int eh book, as to who his boss is, but it could be her easily, there's nothing to stop it. There was a few other things liek seeing freck in the home which could be shown on the film but you wouldn't be able get from the book, i did love them there implications though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks for that!;)

Maybe they could have done just teh scramble suit in roroscope?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

but it needs to look like real people at the same time

• Advertisement
Advertisement