Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garmin i3

Options
  • 17-06-2006 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where i can purchase GPS systems in Dublin city? Particularly interested in this unit.

Anyone have one? Know if its cheap/easy to update the maps?

Cheers,

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Maplin sell a couple of handheld Garmin systems, not sure if they have that model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have one of these and its great. I bought it for €330 in Maplins a good while ago and I believe they have come down in price since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Ireland is now fully mapped but the software won't be included with sat nav units until September so maybe better to wait until then. As far as I know there's a charge for upgrading.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I thoughy Ireland was already fully mapped? There was a thread on this but I can't find it at the moment

I've started a new job where I am on the raod, and really want satnav but can't really justfiy spending so much money. However I didn't realise you can get somehting decent for €229 - is it really up to par? How good is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

the new maps wont be out till around halloween

there is a camera shop near the grafton st /trinners aera i think its becide that stupid shop that sells all the soap they sell a lot of different types of gps units last time i was there worth a try .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I was in Halfords last night and the guy really put me off - came over and just started giving out about it. "thats not touch screen", "its only version 7". I said touchscreen isn't important to me. What does it mean that its only version 7? He told me that it means the data is 3 years old, i asked if i could update it, he said "It costs 100 euro to update it" . I left, having done a quick check this morning i find that Garmin will update my software if i buy it after an update has been released.

I just didn't want to go back and buy it off Halfords. Guess i will because it is the best price i cant find it for - argos has it for 289.99.

* It looks like Garmin released anupdate for this product a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Navman are selling re-furbed i510's on their website for 250. They're very good by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

zuutroy wrote:
    Navman are selling re-furbed i510's on their website for 250. They're very good by all accounts
    but they do not use navteq maps ie not 100% coverage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So can anyone recommend a good one to get? I am deffo buying one of these, don't want to spend a fortune but want something decent

Garmin i3
    - Cheap, but Very basic.
    Garmin C310 - Better, touch screen etc, but I've still heard mixed reviews.

Anyone got any pointers?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Halfords were all out of the i3's when i went up yesterday - but i managed to get one on eBay for 230 delivered. Not bad at all.

Can wait to get it now.

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

How do I update the maps on this thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got a garmin street pilot on ebay for 155 sterling + post, not as good a price as the one mentioned but I'm happy with it. It came with version 6 maps but I was told not to register and to phone garmin for their version 8 maps, I did and got them free with the unlock codes. If I had registered first the maps would have cost 125 sterling.
    How do I update the maps on this thing?
    it should have come with a program and a map cd, the map will load auto into the program, pick your country and follow instructions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The i3 doesn't come with any map cd!!! I discovered this the other day, it only comes with UK and Ireland preinstalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I got Version 8 on mine. Is there a newer one out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Skyuser wrote:
    I got Version 8 on mine. Is there a newer one out?

No, version 8 is the most up to date and not that up to date I might add, I drove into several estates the last couple of days that are apartently still fields but thats to be expected I suppose, Ireland is changing so fast.
    testicle The i3 doesn't come with any map cd!!! I discovered this the other day, it only comes with UK and Ireland preinstalled.
    It should have a usb port yes, it may be possible to download from the interweb or from a cd directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yeah, but you'll pay top dollar for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Why not just buy a decent PDA and GPS Bluetooth system for the car would be much better and easly upgradeable.

Advertisement