Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruby on Rails

Options
  • 17-06-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've just come across Ruby on Rails for the first time. Is it worth looking into, ive been doing a bit of php but will something like this make my life alot easier? Just wondering because ive never heard anyone on hear mention it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Its a tasty little framework ... I started playing with it .. and it would save me loads of time with development ... I've just not had time to get into it ...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Writes like perl, works like php, structured like a Java program suite.

Or at least, that was my first impression (which is a good impression). My only concerns are speed and support. It's fairly new, hasn't really been pushed yet (which is good in the way that firefox and mac have/had a small userbase), not targetted by hackers too often afaik.
    Which means they haven't found the exploits yet. (this is speculative though).

Also, it seems to run particularily slowly on my shared hosting, haven't tried on my colo box yet, (or another shared hosting service), so I don't know if that's unique to my host or if it's just part and parcel of running ror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

We're doing a lot of ruby development - it's extremely fast to get working and the developers seem to really like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

a friend used Ruby on a college project and besides from him saying that it's pretty decent language wise, he said that hosting it was troublesome. He was using Dreamhost and the response time from querys and general performance on the code server side was terrible. That could have just been Dreamhost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

a friend used Ruby on a college project and besides from him saying that it's pretty decent language wise, he said that hosting it was troublesome. He was using Dreamhost and the response time from querys and general performance on the code server side was terrible. That could have just been Dreamhost though.

To be honest I love dreamhost ... but found that they are more like a crowd of lads setting up a company and making mistakes ... which is something you don't really want from your hosting company ... if you're serious about your uptime ...

I think the dreamhost servers are a bit overloaded as well as I've found them pretty slow at times ... so I wouldn't use them as a gauge for how good ruby is :)

• Advertisement

Ruby performs really well on good machines. We're actually building most of our internal tools and systems with it, we're very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Ruby performs really well on good machines. We're actually building most of our internal tools and systems with it, we're very impressed.
    Hi Steve. Do you support it in any of your hosting packages?

At the moment, we can only provide it on dedicated servers (from 59.95 amonth) but will be supporting it on shared hosting as soon as we can.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

At the moment, we can only provide it on dedicated servers (from 59.95 amonth) but will be supporting it on shared hosting as soon as we can.,
    Any idea how soon? :) Anything in particular holding you back? I've a few small projects in the pipeline I'd like to develop in Ruby on Rails (that I'd prefer to have hosted in Ireland). Would be great if I could just pop them on one of my 365 accounts.

:) At the moment the delay is the Hsphere management system we use for shared hosting - ie: they don't support Ruby at the moment. We can deploy on dedicated or virtual server, but are dependant, unfortunately, on the software vendor to give us the capability in shared for now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭AngryAnderson

I like Ruby on Rails as a rapid application development tool and it's fantastic for prototyping. In terms of commercial site development, I've yet to be convinced but then I've only scratched the surface. Looking forward to digging deeper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

We're currently testing it out, so if anyone wants to give it a go please feel free to email me: sales@blacknight.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Was reading about Ruby on Rails last week, and researching it over the weekend. Looks great for the mythical web 2.0 generation (hate that term!)There seems to be a lot of documentation on the web.

My question is:

I have no web experience, apart from Dreamweaver and basic html, and no coding knowledge.

What would i have to read to be able to learn this? i.e. a Ruby on Rails for Dummies style book? A lot of the web advice seems to assume a four-year computer programming course worth of knowledge.

Would greatly appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Have a look on the official ruby on rails site. There are tutorials and info on some of the books currently available. As it's quite "new" there aren't that many books available as yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

mythical web 2.0 generation (hate that term!)

Web 2.0 is so late 2005. Internet 3.0 is where it's at!

Suck it O'Reilly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

one of ruby application - shopify.com has launched.

looks cool, offering free hosted e-commerce site.

mart

Advertisement