Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I set broadband up on windows 2000

• 17-06-2006 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭

Trying to set up broadband on windows 2000. I have a usb modem which requires a username and password. The wizard doesn't seem to support broadband.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

What broadband provider? Did they supply you the modem/router hardware?

If its eircom - its username: eircom
    Password: broadband1

Although i've seen instances of other passwords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

litirspam wrote:
    Trying to set up broadband on windows 2000. I have a usb modem which requires a username and password. The wizard doesn't seem to support broadband.
    Cheers.
    You're asking the wrong question. The question should be "How do I install a USB DSL modem in Win2K?" (though a better question is "why was I given a p-o-s USB modem?").

The USB modem should have come with a CD that includes drivers. If you don't have the CD, post the make/model and someone may be able to point you to a source. (If it's a netopia from eircom, you can download the drivers from the eircom support site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

I have the drivers but cannot find the dialogue box to input the username and password. Windows Xp has a internet wizard which gives the choice of setting up a broadband connection but win2k doesnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

litirspam wrote:
    I have the drivers but cannot find the dialogue box to input the username and password. Windows Xp has a internet wizard which gives the choice of setting up a broadband connection but win2k doesnt.
    What is the make and model of the modem?
    Have you successfully installed the modem?
    Who is your ISP?

litirspam wrote:
    WinXP has a built in PPPoE client, which is what uses the username/password. Your USB modem should have come with a PPPoE client. if you'd answer the questions that have been asked, someone can give you a pointer to find the PPPoE client.

• Advertisement

Zyxel 600 series.
    Modem installed.
    UTV

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

litirspam wrote:
    Zyxel 600 series.
    Modem installed.
    UTV
    Oh god, what a horrible modem.

Here, drivers and manual.

There's a "utility.exe" or something that does the PPPoE stuff for you in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lads he's installed it but doesnt know where the PPPoE connection username and password boxes are

Jakkass wrote:
    lads he's installed it but doesnt know where the PPPoE connection username and password boxes are

Exactly!

Jakkass wrote:
    The P623 does PPPoE itself - you connect it by pointing your browser to 192.168.1.1 and logging in (admin/1234) and then setting up the PPPoE stuff.

This manual might be more useful for a Windows user.

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    The P623 does PPPoE itself - you connect it by pointing your browser to 192.168.1.1 and logging in (admin/1234) and then setting up the PPPoE stuff.

This manual might be more useful for a Windows user.
    Thats not the modem. It's the one Cult linked to, the 630. It's USB only and has no web interface. A PPPoE connection needs to be setup in Windows.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Thats not the modem. It's the one Cult linked to, the 630. It's USB only and has no web interface. A PPPoE connection needs to be setup in Windows.
    USB only modems can have web interfaces.

The Windows Manual for the 630 says that if you select PPPoE mode when you install the drivers, the setup program will install a shortcut to the "ZyXEL DIAL UP" client on the desktop. That's the PPPoE client.

If you selected Bridged or CLIP mode, you'll probably have to uninstall and reinstall.

Foxwood wrote:
    Never said they couldn't, just saying this particular one doesn't.:)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Foxwood wrote:

The Windows Manual for the 630 says that if you select PPPoE mode when you install the drivers, the setup program will install a shortcut to the "ZyXEL DIAL UP" client on the desktop. That's the PPPoE client.

If you selected Bridged or CLIP mode, you'll probably have to uninstall and reinstall.
    And what I was saying was because it doesn't appear to be installing, to just extract the tool itself :)

Advertisement