Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pimping in this forum

• 17-06-2006 1:40pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone else getting really P1ssed off with this? You woudn't get away with anywhere near the amount of self promotion that goes on here on any any other boards forum. I'm sick of half the posts on this forum promoting some DJ, website, radio show or club night... Can we not get some rules laid down? There are a lot of people with very low post counts, almost matching the amount of threads they have pimping thier own projects.

Yes ok lots of people want to know whats going on in the scene but there are plenty other sites and places to do it. AFAIK Boards has a very strict policy on "No Advertising" - but many people are clearly getting free advertising here. At least can we moderate it so that they must include something in the subect title, or if you are pimping an ongoing club or website, keep it to the same thread. I'm not going to name names but we have all seen a certin few members with usually less than 100 posts, but probably a dozen threads advertising various things they are involved in.

There is very little visibility of Moderation here, can we perhaps raise the activity levels and get some more firm rules and/or charter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

we need an active mod to move any event pimping threads to the gigs/events forum
    it's already been suggested, so i guess now we just have to play the waiting game:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I recon you and Giles should be the new mods Tman!
    I'm happy to assist if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Did you mention it in Feedback? There was a thread started there regarding mods in the Gigs/Events forum and it was sorted very quickly indeed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes I put a link to this thread at the bottom of the post in the feedback forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

Good man hopefully something will come out of it and this forum will be a cleaner place to post in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

think there was a similar arguement on this before, the forum was getting
    filled with posts about nights sometimes 3 or 4 posts about the same night
    then competitions in different posts & set times in different posts.

At the time for Backlash we said we'd try to limit ourselves to 3 threads a month with all follow-ups in the same thread, if this is made a rule for
    all promoters maybe that would help reduce the problem?

open to suggestions anyway.

well they should just go into the gig/events section if they are promoting nights shouldn't they?

Zascar wrote:
    Is anyone else getting really P1ssed off with this? You woudn't get away with anywhere near the amount of self promotion that goes on here on any any other boards forum. I'm sick of half the posts on this forum promoting some DJ, website, radio show or club night... Can we not get some rules laid down? There are a lot of people with very low post counts, almost matching the amount of threads they have pimping thier own projects.

Yes ok lots of people want to know whats going on in the scene but there are plenty other sites and places to do it. AFAIK Boards has a very strict policy on "No Advertising" - but many people are clearly getting free advertising here. At least can we moderate it so that they must include something in the subect title, or if you are pimping an ongoing club or website, keep it to the same thread. I'm not going to name names but we have all seen a certin few members with usually less than 100 posts, but probably a dozen threads advertising various things they are involved in.

There is very little visibility of Moderation here, can we perhaps raise the activity levels and get some more firm rules and/or charter?

Yeah, I noticed that myself, 'tis quite annoying.

As long as the promoters are being honest and open about it and stay within the rules I have no problem. Start one thread with an appropriate title and stick to it, you might even get a decent bit of discussion going form people that were there / might like to go etc.

I just think this forum is lacking real proper discussion of Dance Music & DJ'ing on the whole. I've tried to start a few threads like this one but they never really go that far...

I know what you mean more of these topic should be up, Ill post on a few of them later to get them going again.;)

• Advertisement

Yeah I think we should all make an effort to try to get this forum a lit more interactive and get some proper discussion going on topics such as music tastes, equipment, technique, share our mixes etc etc. I posted this thread a while ago expecing lots of replies and advice but I didn't get a single reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I’ve noticed alright that the quality of the threads has nose dived. Every 6 weeks we get 'what's the best tune/album/dj' thread. Not enough discussion about new tracks and albums imo. It's all gone Pete Tong

Personally I don't mind the posting of events in this forum, I’d hate to miss out on a great event just because I didn't go down to the specific events forum. If a dj is coming to play in Ireland or a night is been organized then it should get mentioned in this forum imo.

I would be weary alright of people posting up links to their sites. I have done it myself but only direct links to mp3' mixes that people have posted on my site for the sole purpose of getting the mixes heard.

yeah sure np I will look into a few technique, and sharing mixes and the likes as soon as I get out of work.
    linking to music isnt a problem i wouldnt think but the whole events thing is why boards has an event section and with it all coming into this forum is causing all the topics that we are talking about to go futher down the board and losing focus with other members. imo

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

It has been a little bit messy alright, kevIRL has been made a mod of the forum the last week aswell,
    I never really had a problem with people posting info on gig nights but it is getting to a stage now where everyone is just posting about there gig nights and nothing else, I didn't think it bothered people that muchat the start, but obisously it is now

Well I know I am a user here that is -100 poster but I have been on this forum over a year coming and going just watching never really posted because of all the down time boards had in the past. Now I see it is running smoothly I decided to come back and join in, the first thing I did notice was all the gig and events that were in this section and fell in to the trap into doing the same myself.
    I have since cleaned up my act and I do feel that most of the topics in this section are getting lost due to the promotion of nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I agree as a regular on here there does seem to be too much of it going on alright,plus we really do need an active moderator on here as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Lenny wrote:
    It has been a little bit messy alright, kevIRL has been made a mod of the forum the last week aswell
    does he even know he's a mod yet?:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

afaik he does know he's a mod here, DeVore pm'd him to tell him

Well it looks like our crys were answered pimping in forum has quiten down and topics are being moved to there rightful home in the gig/event section. Good work mods and thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lenny wrote:
    It has been a little bit messy alright, kevIRL has been made a mod of the forum the last week aswell,
    I never really had a problem with people posting info on gig nights but it is getting to a stage now where everyone is just posting about there gig nights and nothing else, I didn't think it bothered people that muchat the start, but obisously it is now

Agreed Lenny, its started to turn into ie-dance in here :eek:

I was away at Sonar so didnt know I had been made mod but the presence of 2 active mods will help to chang things, a posible change in the charter and bannings if needed. Right now though, I need about 24 hours sleep after the last week and a half of madness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭smokes

whats the big deal with people promoting their club nights in this forum,some people live very sad lives that they even bother complaining about this:o

Its called Advertising or Pimping and it is strictly against the boards.ie rules, didn't you read the first post? As already mentioned there is a place for such announcements and its called the Gig/sEvens forum. Try going into the Computer forum, After Hours or Business/Economy/Finance and advertise your new business, your thread will be locked straight away and you'd be lucky not to get banned. If you want to promote youe business I suggest you PM DeVore or Cloud and enquire about some banner advertising. Most of all its just plain annoying and it stops people having decent discussion.

Its not living a sad life it is just a good rule that should be enforced.
    Basically some puts up a topic that is good and get a few replies to it and then 20 promoters come over a few days and that topic gets lost as it gets futher and futher down the board. Now that doesnt seem to fair does it, most of the gig nights get 1 or 2 replies if any at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

i still think giving each promoter a monthly post is a better idea
    the gigs events page is more rock based.
    if the promoter starts more than one thread ban them.

Sounds fine to me. How many promoters do we have though? If it's 3 or 4 then no problem. 10 - we're back to where we started.

BACKLASH wrote:
    the gigs events page is more rock based.

I agree that the gigs/events page is more rock based, but also as Zascar points out
    Zascar wrote:
    How many promoters do we have though? If it's 3 or 4 then no problem. 10 - we're back to where we started.

So what I'm gonna suggest is a sub forum of Dance/Electronic for dance related gigs/events, that should help clear things up and allow for promoters gigs to be seen.

What do ye think?

yeah that sounds pretty fair but so does the idea of the promoters having only one topic here and just updating it.

The gigs/events is only rock based because the promoters that come here dont use it.

matu wrote:
    yeah that sounds pretty fair but so does the idea of the promoters having only one topic here and just updating it.

Problem being there's a tonne of promoters out there often promoting different nights, would be hard to stop this forum continuing to be overrun with pimpage for nights.

yeah very true maybe the new forum idea is a good idea then, but I still thing that the gig/event section is enough.

• Advertisement

Thats a great idea. A Sub forum would be perfect, one collective place for all announcements and event related chat.
    Who can arrrange this to be set up?

Zascar wrote:
    Thats a great idea. A Sub forum would be perfect, one collective place for all announcements and event related chat.
    Who can arrrange this to be set up?

I've asked for it over on the forums board
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054950798

Give the admins a day or 2 to sort it.

matu wrote:

The gigs/events is only rock based because the promoters that come here dont use it.
    There was only one person who kept to this, it was the john biggons from spin, and it was nicely kept, a sub forum sounds like a really good idea. I was gonna suggest having just 1 topic and letting all the promoters reply to it.
    I for one never look at the gigs forum cause it does be mainly rock based.
    Good idea kev, suggest it to the admins an see if they'll let us

Lenny wrote:
    There was only one person who kept to this, it was the john gibbons from spin, and it was nicely kept, a sub forum sounds like a really good idea. I was gonna suggest having just 1 topic and letting all the promoters reply to it.
    I for one never look at the gigs forum cause it does be mainly rock based.
    Good idea kev, suggest it to the admins an see if they'll let us

request already made in forum requests :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Personally I think Gigs/Events would be better than a subforum. Gigs/Events is where pretty much everyone goes for gigs and events apart from the dance promoters, you'll get more people looking at the threads and you'll stop it being so "rock based". There's a lot of things that are only mentioned in Dance that would be of interest to a lot more people (iirc Autechre was only mentioned in here, can't think of other examples but I know there were more).

John2 wrote:
    Personally I think Gigs/Events would be better than a subforum. Gigs/Events is where pretty much everyone goes for gigs and events apart from the dance promoters, you'll get more people looking at the threads and you'll stop it being so "rock based". There's a lot of things that are only mentioned in Dance that would be of interest to a lot more people (iirc Autechre was only mentioned in here, can't think of other examples but I know there were more).

Yeah that is what I was getting at in the long run it would work out better, I like my dance and Indie so if they were in one place it would be a lot easier.

The idea of a sub forum is good tho but then wont it just be the same, wont people just say I never go to that forum, just like the gigs/events?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭smokes

that is a good solution:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

when you create a sub forum from another forum does the latest thread always get shown on the top of the parent forum ala the soccer forum with it's soccer request forum?

If the sub forum is made, which is a great idea btw (all that time off served you well Kev), then there is nothing stopping the dance promoters going to the gig/events forum to post there anyway. It's not like they will be prevented from doing so.

Tis' the best resolution indeed

Yeah I know what you are saying Rollo and I thing a sub section is a great idea but I dont think they will post the topic twice, now I go to the gigs/event section and I would like to see the 2 together so we can see all kinds of events going on, maybe it would interest a few more people that would'nt have bothered in the first place even glancing in to this forum never mind a sub forum.

If there is a sub forum I think it is going to end up in a flat on it face and people will just come back here to post after all want the sub forum just be a replacement for the gigs/events aimed at dj's/promoters.
    I dont think there is a means to stop this and maybe it is something that we are just going to have to live with.
    thats just my opinion anyway.

Well at least we have some more active mods who can simply move the threads to the correct place.

matu wrote:
    I dont think there is a means to stop this and maybe it is something that we are just going to have to live with.
    thats just my opinion anyway.

There is a means to stop it. My plan is to get a sub forum set up for the events posts, then get a charter set up. Posts will be moved for a while with the offenders getting a gentle reminder of where dance gigs events should be posted, repeat offenders will no longer be able to post here. Simple as. Moving threads is a solution but only in the short term.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote:
    Well at least we have some more active mods who can simply move the threads to the correct place.

Indeed, but I'd rather they were posted in the correct place in the first place.

Absolutely but there will always be a few who will ignore the rules or chance their arm. Hopefully we can get this et up asap, move all the suspect thrteads in there, let the pimps go wild promoting thier gigs in the one place, and have the Dance Music & DJ'ing forum back to what is it supposed to be.

Advertisement