Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog keeps doing this noisy thing?

Options
  • 17-06-2006 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

My 8 year old dog (is a mongral- terrier sort) keeps doing this noise through his nose, like he cant breath properly. Hes been doing it the last couple of days but its gotton worse today. Its like he has a blocked noise or something?

Going to bring him to the vets on Monday, anyone know what could be wrong with him? Hop its not to serious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Has he been running in long grass, could be a grass seed lodged up there or could be kennel cough (the vaccination doesn't cover all the strains of KC as far as I know so even a vaxd dog can pick it up) or could be something else altogether. Let us know how he gets on at the vets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I brought him to the vet today cos i didnt want to leave it to late. As soon as I brought him to the vet he stopped doing it! The little fecker!!

The vet examined him and couldnt find anything wrong, but said if he keeps it up he will have to go for an xray because it could be his trachea beginning to collopse.
    He gave some antibiotics in case its kennel cough so ill see how he gets on....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My dogs have been doing this from time to time for the past few years (jack russell + toy poodle), we brought them to the vet and he found nothing wrong with them, he actually said it was like a sneeze but backwards, I think it's something like hay fever that they have but it doesn't really bother them that much. i normally just rub them when it happenes and it realexes them and they stop. I'm sure your dog will get better :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Its probably an allergy similiar to our "Hayfever".
    If its bad the vet can prescribe some pills, check is it worse on days when there is a high pollen count.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

It's called backwards sneezing. My Panda Bear does it all the time. Usually, dogs with short snouts (Shih tzus, Lhasa Apsos, Pugs, etc.) are the types of dogs most susceptible to it, but not always.

It could be from a collapsed trachea, but more than likely with spring putting everything in full bloom, it's simply a case of allergies. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

It's called backwards sneezing. My Panda Bear does it all the time. Usually, dogs with short snouts (Shih tzus, Lhasa Apsos, Pugs, etc.) are the types of dogs most susceptible to it, but not always.

It could be from a collapsed trachea, but more than likely with spring putting everything in full bloom, it's simply a case of allergies. :)

You have a Panda? Thats so cool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

fabcat wrote:
    You have a Panda? Thats so cool!!
    Oh goodness! No, I'm sorry, my dog's name is Panda Bear; he's a Lhasa Apso. I should have explained that better. :o

Advertisement