Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

f=ma guaranteed in physics

Options
  • 17-06-2006 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd let you know. It has not been up since at least 1995

Comments

...that doesn't exactly mean that it is guaranteed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Neither has the calculation of g and, according to my Physics teacher, that used to be a popular experiment to ask about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Calculation of g came up in 2004. I know this, because I did the 2004 paper about an hour ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

I reckon the speed of sound experiment (the one in the large graduated cylinder) will come up.The F=ma might come up too, and also calibration of a thermometer. They'd be nice questions if they did, they're all quite easy! Although, they might repeat an experiment because they did last year.
    Hopefully we'll get a long question on Archimedes because I don't think that chapter has come up as a long question yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

Sorry, I meant the investigation of length between period and length for a simple pendulum and hence calculate g. I forget there was another experiment to calculate g.

• Advertisement

Ah, right. Was wondering what you meant alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

well if theres one thin the LC has been this year is unpredictable. they omitted thing people thought would come up. eg no world cup on german yesterday. so its not guaranteed but i also expect it to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

whassupp2 wrote:
    well if theres one thin the LC has been this year is unpredictable. they omitted thing people thought would come up. eg no world cup on german yesterday. so its not guaranteed but i also expect it to appear.
    I know it was only an example but i wasn't surprised by it not coming up, well it kinda popped up in the tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

whassupp2 wrote:
    i heard it was there in the pass paper(the world cup)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

The experiments that haven't been asked on the new course so far (afaik):
    • Measurement of Velocity and Acceleration (ticker tape timer stuff)
    • Experiment to verify Newton's Second Law (f=ma)
    • Measurement of the refractive index of a liquid or solid
    • Measurement of speed of sound in air
    • Calibration curve of a thermometer
    • Mesurement of specific heat capacity by mechanical or electrical means
    • Investigate variation of resistance of thermistor or metallic conductor with temperature

Newton's Second Law and Speed of Sound in Air are tipped this year I think. I heard Verification of Joule's Law could also come up (last up in 2003).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

whassupp2 wrote:
    i think people knew that nothin about the world cup was coming up because in french in 98 there was absolutley nothin about the worldcup either
    O yea and I think that at least 2 of the mandatory's that came up in the mocks will come up,either ohms law,f=ma or the speed of sound in air.I dont think the thermometre one will come up...since it came up last year and they cant make it a wholelot different

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    I heard Verification of Joule's Law could also come up (last up in 2003).

incase it comes up you guys really should expect them to ask why the esb supplies electricity in high voltages and low current as opposed to high current and low voltage...
    the answer being that the heat lost depends on the current squared so it makes sense to make the current very small so that less heat is lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unreg1987

whassupp2 wrote:

That's not true! It came up in the tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Kovik

unreg1987 wrote:
    That's not true! It came up in the tape.
    It was one quarter of one question in the tape. Hardly the prominence we were expecting.

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    The experiments that haven't been asked on the new course so far (afaik):

<Insert various experiments>
    Or you could just, y'know, know how to do all of them and now try predicting. It's risky, and it's not a risk worth taking. After all, you have all of tomorrow still.

Raphael wrote:
    It's risky, and it's not a risk worth taking.

i second that......physics experiments are piss anyway so you could easily get them covered in a day

Exactly, you only really need the barest details, and all the units and forumlas you should know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Oh I will be looking all over them. Those are ones I'm just highlighting to give special attention to, seeing as there's a good chance of them coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 carlrac

don't forget that other experiments apart from the mandatory ones can come up on the rest of the paper so we need to know those as well. although there's just far too much to learn at this stage! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

sorry for being childish and digging up this thread but...

hehe, brings guaranteed to a whole new level.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

I was had. I'm sorry. I still was well able to do the g experiment anyway though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

:eek: I failed because of you :( :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

NADA wrote:
    I was had. I'm sorry. I still was well able to do the g experiment anyway though.

hehe im just havin a laugh, dont worry about it ;)

Rockerette wrote:

hehe, brings guaranteed to a whole new level.. ;)

lol...............well im glad i did all experiments equally as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

fatal wrote:
    lol...............well im glad i did all experiments equally as well

So did I!

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

i did none :( i have some sort of a mental block about experiments....bluffed my way through them..

Advertisement