Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a bike from scratch

Options
  • 17-06-2006 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,
    I'm thinking of building a bike from scratch.
    Just wondering if anybody has any books/websites that would be of use. or if anyone's done it before what to steer clear of when trying it..
    I'd be doing it over a few months and would like to do most of the work myself.
    It would be a hardtail. Any tips would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I dont think you would need a website or a book on how to put together a oush bike, but maybe thats me:confused: When i was 19/20 i was always building bikes from scratch when i bought and i never had any hassle either when building them. I take it you know a bit about bikes, like how to fix brakes and gears etc? I have'nt actually done this myself in about 4 years, but i use like and often got neighbours knocking on my door at x-mas asking me to put together a bike for there kids. I use to then look out the window in the morning to check if they were safe or had falling arpart;)

I'd but a chea enough bike to start off with, that the only advice i would have, good luck though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Tackleberry

I'm building my 1st bike at the moment, and reckon you can save a hell of a lot of money this way, I've bought all my stuff from ebay and saved around €2k on a bike that would've cost over €6k from the shops. I've a decent knowledge of bikes but when its comes to the headset and crankset I reckon its better to be safe than sorry so I've left it in with cyclesuperstore to build it up, costs €100 but good to know its been done right, if you have worked in a bike shop or have put bikes together before then fire away yourself but I reckon if you haven't then you'd be better off letting a bike shop do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

you will need some things done by a bike shop such as facing the bottom brackets shell, putting in the headset even, facing off disc brake mounts(if you have disc brakes)
    otherwise its ok.

basic tools needed.
    1.screwdriver
    2.allen keys.
    3.a full set of spanners
    4.a bottom bracket tool
    5.a chain whip (or a car oil filter remover in a chain)
    6.a cassette tool.
    7.a shifting spanner.

There is a dvd called fundamentals that have about a hour long tech section which will break everything down and show how everything is done.
    park tools have a good website too.

when you get the fork make sure 100% that it fits your stem or is slightly too big, too small=bad:D

and bottom brackets should screw in by hand DONT force them or you might need a new frame:eek:

also make sure you get a bottom bracket that fits there are loads of different sizes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Thanks very much Godfather, and Tackleberry. le-dub a bit harsh, no?
    Thanks anyways.

At the moment I have a Giant atx-870. I'm hoping to build something like
    that myself, in and about €1,500/2,200. Tbh I'd know a bit about bikes
    but really not too much. At the moment I'm trying to find a kit to bleed
    my own brakes atm.

Also I've read around a bit on the net and their seems to be a good bit of
    advice and that is to take apart your current bit first a few times before
    you even buy anything for your new bike. Thanks for listing off most of
    the tools I'll be needed, very helpful!
    I've also heard around about the headset and to not even try to do it
    yourself....Is it really that hard?

Really appreciate the feedback so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

kjt wrote:
    Thanks very much Godfather, and Tackleberry. le-dub a bit harsh, no?
    Thanks anyways.

At the moment I have a Giant atx-870. I'm hoping to build something like
    that myself, in and about €1,500/2,200. Tbh I'd know a bit about bikes
    but really not too much. At the moment I'm trying to find a kit to bleed
    my own brakes atm.

Also I've read around a bit on the net and their seems to be a good bit of
    advice and that is to take apart your current bit first a few times before
    you even buy anything for your new bike. Thanks for listing off most of
    the tools I'll be needed, very helpful!
    I've also heard around about the headset and to not even try to do it
    yourself....Is it really that hard?

Really appreciate the feedback so far :)

as for aheadsets anybike shop will do it cheap i mean less than e5 maybe even free!!!
    you can do it with a piece of wood and a hammer but it aint worth it cosiderin how ****ed the bike will be if you get it wrong..
    as fo bleed kts there are different tpes for different models cycological in town is good as is halfords in coolock(dont do bleedin but can order the kits). what frame do you have in mind??kona in my opinion are the best you can get
    what are you using the bike for btw?? commute, mtb , jumps???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

I agree with both Godfather69er and le-dub. I've put a few bikes together myself, so it’s not that difficult to do. I have never heard the phrase (bleeding the brakes) but building bikes and fixing them is not my profession only hobbies as I enjoy cycling and it’s a great way to beat the traffic. I would suggest that if it’s his first time building a bike and it sounds like, then I would go to a library and get a book, just to have and you never know. I think it depends on what bike you actually going to build, if it’s a bike were your thinking of spending over a €1000 I would actually leave into a bike shop as it’s too much money and anything can go wrong. I would put together a bike that would cost around €400 and no more, even at that you still may have to bring it to a bike shop. I agree with le-dub that building a bike is all about trial and error and gofather69er I do hate bull****cause they think they know all, but you kind of blew your trumpet as well, which i can understand as you know what your talking about by the sounds of it.

I think its just best to stick to the topic and subject instead of throwing insults at each other and trying to help with constructive advice etc.

Thanks again for the replies lads :)

I'd probably be using it for mtb'ing and then just use my atx for my commutes.
    To be honest I haven't even started looking at what sort of frames I'm going
    to be going with but I have heard plenty of good stuff about Kona.

Roy I can see where your comming from. Making a bike worth over €1,000 could
    be a bit of a risk if I screw it up but I think if I read up enough about it and take
    my time (I plan to buy parts over 3/4months) I won't waste my money.
    I do want to get some sort of book as you were saying.

Godfather, earlier you mentioned a dvd? You wouldn't happen to have a link
    or a shop where I could buy it?

Also where would people suggest I buy parts?
    Would they be that much cheaper online?
    I've heard chainreactioncycles.com are good, + free delivery..

Thanks again lads :)

Godfather, Is this the dvd you were talking about?
    http://www.dukevideo.com/Extreme/DVD/MTB/Mountain%20Bike%20Fundamentals%20DVD.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Kjt, Chainreactioncycles are a good shop but to be honest, I'd just buy the frame and maybe the forks there. Then go find a local bike shop who will order everything else for you at a decent price. That means you'll be in a good position to ask them to fit he B/B and headset cups etc.

Alternatively you could just order everything from CRC and get stuck in. It really isn't as difficult as people will make it sound - You can always pop in here and ask if you're unsure about something. The easiest way to learn anything is to just get stuck in and get on with it. If there's anything you're not certain about, you can drop it into a bike shop and get them to double check it for you before you go commit on the hills.

BTW, I'm in Dundrum and you'd be welcome to swing by here to use my tools and have a little 'supervision' if you'd like when everything arrives. You buy the beer :D

I've just finished building a Kona bike. Never had one before but I've ridden plenty and was always pleased with their handling and decided that's what would replace my old Trek. I'd second GF69er's recommendation.

Thanks Gil, I'm just over in Rathfarnham so I might just take you up on
    that offer. I won't be starting for another month anyways as I want to
    read up a bit on parts and all that before I start. + I'm heading away on
    holiday Friday so I won't be around.

I was thinking along your lines with buying the main parts online and then
    get everything else from a good bike shop locally. And I agree with you
    about getting stuck in, it's the best way to learn. I'll probably 'try' take
    my bike apart a few times before I start though ha.

+ I think I'd drop it in for a service before I went on any type of a run
    with it, but that's a good few months away anyways.

Thanks again Gil!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

The only part of the bike that is "hard" to install in the headset. Buy everything from CRC but the headset, just wander into a shop with your frame and get them to fit the headset there and then. FSA dh piggy is a great headset. It may not be the lightest but it is cheap and amazingly durable. I use it on both my XC and DH bikes and its lasted years - and is very straight forward to install.

As for the bottom bracket, buy a Shimno Hollowtech 2 version. This does away with much of the weight of the traditional bb and is much easier to install. You need a shimano bb wrench, but one size fits all. If you have a thing against Shimano, then Race Face also do similar bb cups, in a tasty range of colours!!!

Fitting the lower race onto the fork can be done delicately or with brute force, depending on how patient you are. Just make sure it is sitting snuggly all the way round the fork.
    When assembling the headset make sure you arrange it correctly according to the instructions. It's amazing how many people can't follow simple illustrated instructions.
    The fundemntals video: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7005
    will show how to install the star fangled nut into the steerer of the fork, and then how not to overtighten the headset.

Thats it really for any challenging parts, the rest just involves lots of tinkering (gear tuning, disc brake caliper aligning, handle bar angle, etc) But it's a great feeling when you've built your first bike and taken it for a spin.

Other than that my only advice is to buy a Marzocchi fork.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that mockerydawg.
    I think I'll be buying that dvd this week :)

Sorry.. misinterperted that. Yea I wasn't talking about freeriding
    redbull.jpg
    WOW..
    I'd be doing moreso general mountain biking, trails, a few jumps but nothing
    too big.

I dunno... Maybe I would be interested in freeriding..
    Is their many good tracks/routes for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

My brother bought a Kona Scab frame from Cyclogical there just after Christmas. Ridiculously discounted and in tip top condition - Last seasons, been hanging around on a peg in the shop. They still have a pair of AMP B3's in there as far as I know - Show's how much oldschool kit is still to be found new if you're looking for it.

Anyway, you're welcome to give me a shout when it comes times to start building. I think my latest tool buying splurge cost around 150 notes for the bike specific stuff. I'm happy enough to have someone else benefit rather than leave it sitting in a toolbox.

BTW, unless you're looking for brand new kit - MTBireland.com sometimes have some nifty adverts in their buy & sell section. I've bought 2 x forks and a frame there - all in good nick for little money. Incidentally, I'd also second GF69er on the Marzocchi recommendation, BUT, it's a personal thing. My brother swears by higher end Rock Shox too.

Gil

Gil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭turbine?

I thought you meant building a bike from scratch: http://www.framebuilding.com
    anyone tried it?

As for assembling the components I'd say go for it. Ive installed a few headsets with the threaded bar and wood method and it was always fine. Dont know how happy i'd be doing it on a frame as expensive as yours though. Everything else is ok. Disk brakes can be a little fiddly if you dont have a correct torque wrench / driver for them. apart from that its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I think its only Shimano but it could be more that use star shaped bolts on their discs. Hope use standard allen bolts don't but I'm not too sure about Hayes, Formula or Avid. But check anyway and you can buy a Park Tools set for the same price as the allen key set

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Cleaning up now.

[done - what a mess!]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks Trojan - Neat work!

I have been doing a little research, and am very attracted to the idea. I found a website www.excelsports.com in the states that sell 'BYO' packages of components - everything but the frame.

So I took their list for 'Shimano' Ultegra 10-speed build kit which they list at a cost of $1,358.00 (€1,102.62 at today's credit card rate).

The list comprises:
    • Shimano Ultegra 6600 STI 10 Spd Levers
    • Shimano Ultegra 6600 Front/Rear Derailleurs
    • Shimano Ultegra 6600 Crankset/Bottom Bracket
    • Shimano Ultegra 6600 Brake Calipers
    • Shimano Ultegra 6600 Chain
    • Shimano Ultegra 6600 10 spd Cassette
    • Shimano Ultegra 6600 hubs
    • Mavic Open Pro silver rims
    • DT 14/15 Butted spokes
    • Ritchey Pro Bar/Stem
    • Ritchey Scuzzy Logic Headset
    • Ritchey Pro Seatpost
    • Selle Italia Flite saddle
    • Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires
    • Continental tubes
    • Cinelli cork bar tape
    • Velox Rim Strips

Now, for me, one of the best things about this idea is the fact that you can save money. So I did an E-bay 'completed items' search to get an idea of cost of each item new via e-bay. Some of the stuff was in dollars, most in UK £s, and including postage and conversion the cost came to €910.

I then priced a Quintana Roo 2004 frame (clearance) on Wiggle, and it came to €703. Total cost for the bike is therefore €1613.

Finally, I priced the same bike, but the 06 Frame on primera-bournemouth.co.uk and pacific bikes (US). The price came to £2,499 or $3,299 (€3,600 / €2,600).

OK, so the frame is a year out, and some of the components on the assembled bike are Dura-ace (though others are of lesser quality), but the potential saving is €2,000!

Would you recommend any changes to the set-up, or where I could get componenets even cheaper?

Advertisement