Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

choosing a ppc-phone

• 17-06-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

hi.
    i am currently using an ipaq h4150 and for gprs connectivity purposes i connect thru my nokia 6230 mobile phone.
    what i would dearly love is to find a ppc-phone that would have everything that the 4150 has plus phone and internet connectivity integrated into it.
    i have so far not been that keen on the converged ipaqs because of their bulk/weight and have worries about their apparently relatively weak processors. i also have concerns that the 6515 doesn't have wifi and has a square screen.
    looking at other ppc-phones i have been considering the eten m600, the imate jam +wifi card, the imate jamin, the imate kjam and the mitac mio a701 +wifi card.
    which one is closest to a "connected" 4150?
    i like the form factor/weight/processor/full connectivity of the mio a701 but if i want to add sdio wifi i have no sd slot left for storage. i'm also wary that mio have little experience in the phone side of things.
    i like the weight/processor/connectivity/ integrated wifi of the eten m600 (no integrated gps but i think i can live without it) but is its 22mm thickness a problem?
    i love the imate jam's form factor/weight but again if i add sdio wi-fi i lose the sd storage option.
    i love almost everything about the imate jamin with its great form factor/ weight/ integrated wifi but i'm wary about its processor.
    so i have yet to find the "perfect" device but maybe one of these may suit my needs
    as for wm5 on these devices are there a lot of application compatability issues/ bugs to be sorted out yet with it.
    any help choosing between the above devices (or others) would be much appreciated.
    thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was looking at this one myself, but I don't like the full qwerty keyboard. Has everything you need, plus the SDIO slot is free for expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

tom dunne wrote:
    I was looking at this one myself, but I don't like the full qwerty keyboard. Has everything you need, plus the SDIO slot is free for expansion.

thanks for that.
    for some reason this device has escaped my radar. (i thought i knew of all the new pocketpc phone edition devices worth speaking of but obviously not).

as you say it has a lot of the specs i am looking for but for some reason i am not crazy about it. maybe it has something to do with its form factor. its not the prettiest device i've ever seen and it looks a bit unwieldy because of its length.
    and i'm not too sure about the benq/siemens brand when it comes to ppc-phones.

also, the reviews on the net i read were mixed (as opposed to reviews for e.g the eten m600 which are invariably good).

still, its strange how a device that ticked pretty much every other box left me a bit underwhelmed. i certainly didn't think to myself "i have to have one of those". i'll keep it in mind though.

thanks anyway.

Advertisement