Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys WRT54G and Eircom Help Please?

• 17-06-2006 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Ok this is doing my head in. Bought a WRT54G router for a mate specifically so he can gain wireless broadband access from his Netopia broadband modem. Tried the setup cd with no luck. Tried manual settings and other numerous things to get it talking to the modem to no avail.

PPPOE settings used:

username: eircom
    password:broadband1

Error I'm getting is cannot connect to internet!

No options for inputing the other settings on the eircom page:
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Disabled dhcp on Linksys as it is enabled on the Netopia.
    No joy. Link lights are fine for ethernet and internet ports on Linksys so ethernet cables ok. Cannot ping the Netopia modem. I just need to bridge it to the Netopia but can't see an option for this that sticks out? Do I need to create a route to the Netopia modem from the Linksys or am I missing a default gateway setting etc? There is probably something simple that I'm forgetting to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wireless part is fine just the bridge between the two devices.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Dingatron wrote:
    Ok this is doing my head in. Bought a WRT54G router for a mate specifically so he can gain wireless broadband access from his Netopia broadband modem. Tried the setup cd with no luck. Tried manual settings and other numerous things to get it talking to the modem to no avail.

PPPOE settings used:

username: eircom
    password:broadband1

Error I'm getting is cannot connect to internet!

No options for inputing the other settings on the eircom page:
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Disabled dhcp on Linksys as it is enabled on the Netopia.
    No joy. Link lights are fine for ethernet and internet ports on Linksys so ethernet cables ok. Cannot ping the Netopia modem. I just need to bridge it to the Netopia but can't see an option for this that sticks out? Do I need to create a route to the Netopia modem from the Linksys or am I missing a default gateway setting etc? There is probably something simple that I'm forgetting to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Wireless part is fine just the bridge between the two devices.

Sigh. There are two ways to use 2 routers at the same time. One is to disable the routing in one of them (set it to bridged mode), the other is to put the second router in the first routers DMZ. Both methods involve changing the settings on the frst router (the Netopia), which you can't do when you're plugged into the Linksys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So disconnect the LinkSys - you can't use it until after you've set the Netopia up properly. Set the Netopia in Bridged mode. Then plug in the Linksys, and give it the PPPoE username/password it needs to log in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

That's a good explaination and link as well Foxwood thanks. Was trying to bridge from the wrong router so! Nice one.:o

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Alternatively, a quick fix solution is to just plug the netopia straight in to the Linksys, and fill in the DNS servers in the Linksys.

This means port forwarding will be somewhat tricky and complicated, but if you don't torrent it's not really an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

CuLT wrote:
    Alternatively, a quick fix solution is to just plug the netopia straight in to the Linksys, and fill in the DNS servers in the Linksys.

This means port forwarding will be somewhat tricky and complicated, but if you don't torrent it's not really an issue.
    The Netopia and the Linksys both use the 192.168.1.x subnet. Plugging the netopia into the WAN port on the Linksys isn't going to work (as the OP found), because the Linksys isn't going to route any traffic to the Netopia, because it will keep all 192.168.1.x traffic on it's LAN ports.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Yes well, I have the same netopia router and a linksys WRT54GS and it works just dandy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

CuLT wrote:
    Yes well, I have the same netopia router and a linksys WRT54GS and it works just dandy.

I have the same linksys and it works fine serving out ip addresses etc. modem is a zyxel from digiweb which had to be set to bridge mode (need to connect directly to a pc's ethernet port first to set configuration from router mode to bridge mode then connect to wireless router. after this step it cannot be pinged or accessed in any way.. see here for setup

Advertisement