Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyonce questioned over fur

Options
  • 17-06-2006 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Found this video of a representative from PETA who purchased a ticket to a private dinner with Beyonce and then proceeded to question her on why she chose to promote fur http://www.tmz.com/2006/06/15/beyonce-ambushed-by-peta-at-nobu/

Was interested to see what everyone had to say.

I thought the PETA rep was quite polite, firm but polite, in her questions, but I thought Beyonce's reaction was quite amusing. As soon as she had to actually defend herself she clammed up and let her mother do the talking.

I guess I really don't understand the reason why real fur is necessary. Yeah if you killed a deer and the proceeded to use the hide or purchased some leather shoes, where the hide is likely from a meat plant, then the whole animal is being used and it makes sense. But these chinchillas, rabbits, cats, dogs etc. are being skinned alive purely for the fur. I am not a vegetarian but will not buy fur purely for the reason that something does not need to die for my vanity!

Do you think fur is fashionable? 33 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    18% 6 votes
    Depending on what type of fur
    81% 27 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

The programme on The McCartnys there one night on TV made me feel really ill.Dogs and Cats being skinned ALIVE for their fur,its sick.If your living off the land and its your way of clothing yourself then its perfectly fine to me but if your wearing it for fashion its completly unnessecary.Then again im sure vegetarians will claim the same about people eating meat.I just find anytype of cruelty very had to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Rats, cats and dogs can be eaten. Not all leather is from meat animals, the quality of the hide counts for a lot.

I really don`t like PETA, I`m not surprised Beyonce clammed up. Bunch of wackjobs.

Personally I couldn`t be tossed if some one wore fur as long as it was killed properly and not endangered. Real fur is much more sustainable to the enviroment that synthetic fur, feels better too. If you object to this you may want to beware of coat trimmings, lot of them can be cat or dog hair from China.

I find the Mc Cartneys to be too up their own arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

It pisses me off when people go completely over the top about wearing fur. I have two vintage rabbit coats and that is my choice, I'm not saying that any Vegans don't have the right to disagree with my choice, but what really annoys me are people who are meat eaters, who wear leather and suede and don't have a problem with this, but have a problem with me wearing a coat that's over 50 years old. The dead cow thats on their plate, was only killed the week before, I don't see the difference, with vitamins nowadays it's completely acceptable to be a vegetarian without it endangering your health, the reason they're not is because they like the taste of meat! Its nothing to do with survival!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think theres nothing wrong with wearing fur as long as the animal wasnt treated badly. No different to wearing leather shoes.

PETA are total wackos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭trillianv

Wow how sad, I was hoping for some actual responses about the actual way that this was handled not a an attack on a group that is out there doing something about a situation that is disgusting.

I love it when people say "well they are only humans and we are the superior race". The whole point of this thread was 1) why should animals suffer for someone's vanity and 2) I thought the way the PETA representative asked the questions was not attacking nor rude, she just asked a question and poor little rich girl, Beyonce, couldn't even speak for herself.

As for the vegetarian comments....that has nothing to do with this. Fur is wrong if the animal is being soley killed for it. At least with leather the cow is being eaten too. When was the last time you had mink, cat or dog for dinner??? Just wondering. BTW I am not a vegetarian, I am a carnivore.

• Advertisement

trillianv wrote:
    . Fur is wrong if the animal is being soley killed for it. At least with leather the cow is being eaten too. When was the last time you had mink, cat or dog for dinner??? Just wondering. BTW I am not a vegetarian, I am a carnivore.

That is your opinion, you're entitled to it! Some of us dont see a difference between killing an animal for meat or for fur. Some of us do.

PETA is overly militant and extreme in my opinion, they do more harm than good to their cause as they have very poor pr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm not a big fan of killing anything to be honest, yet I do eat meat. I don't approve of killing animals in a cruel way under any circumstances. I can appreciate people killing animals for food and clothing but in this day and age there should be palatable alternatives. I was a vegetarian for a couple of years many years ago but the choice of food was very limited back then for vegetarians. As regards humans being a superior race? I'm not so sure tbh, I think we're all equal at judgment day and will be held accountable for our actions.

Personally I would support any organisation who supports animal welfare, animals get such a raw deal by human hands from many angles.

junkyard wrote:

Personally I would support any organisation who supports animal welfare, animals get such a raw deal by human hands from many angles.

No matter what their methods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

PETA are for the birds thats for sure.I think South Parks sketch on them summed them up perfectly.

McCarthneys are up their own arses yes ,but thats the programme i saw the skinning alive of dogs and cats for fur.

I dont agree with extreme measures of protest what so ever be it anti-fur ,anti war or anti nuclear.But i would hardly compare walking into Jennifer Lopez offices and handing out an anti fur document,posters etc as extreme.
    Its not as if she wears the fur coats for the blizzards in New York.

fits wrote:
    Yes no matter what their methods, just try and get justice in the courts for animals and see how far you won't get.:(

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I strongly disagree with you junkyard on that. I dont think these sort of extreme methods can be justified in a democracy (and I know animals cant vote)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

junkyard wrote:

I think you need to do some more reading on PETA before you label them the saviours of 4 legged beasties:(

If there was no one to stand up for animals it would be like China here too. If you've ever watched the animal rescue programmes on t.v. especially the Irish one it will give you some insight into how some animals are treated here too. There are fur farms here too and our government don't give a damn how the animals are treated. Some farmers too leave a lot to be desired when it comes to animal welfare. And what about animal experiments? It happens here too you know. Humankind has a lot to answer for including cruelty to its own kind. But my argument is the treatment some people subject animals to, I personally don't think we have any right to be cruel to any creature. I've rescued many dogs in my time and after the initial fear a dog has when rescued and a distrust they have towards people they turn into the most trusting and loyal friend anyone could have with a bit of kindness ( I'm using dogs as its the area I have most experience in) It just makes me sick that people can discard such a loyal creature. So as I've said before I would support any animal welfare organisation I would say they don't attack with out reason and I have no sympathies for anyone on the receiving end.

My apoligies as regards PETA, why would anyone who claims to fight for animal rights kill them? Truthfully I never followed PETA's activities closely my only concern is animal welfare.

Fair enough Junkyard, they're a strange organisation. I own a rescued dog too, and also do my best for all the animals in my care at quite a personal sacrifice.

Attitudes do need to change in this country, particularly with regard to pets imo. I dont think farmers are the worst even though they have a bad name. I grew up on a farm, and we did our best for all the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

al i have to say is oh my god!!!! how in the name of anything can ppl justify skinning an animal and wearing it... i think its sick... as been said already, if the whole animal is used ie cow pig etc fair enough, but to think it ok to skin 100 chinchillas so a person can think that look good, makes me want to throw up. i dont think i have ever read anything that has made me so angry b4, ppl need to wise we and use their heads, we live in a modern world where we dont need to do such disgusting things to animals, all life should be respected no matter how little, dear lord wake up ppl we dont live in caves anymore...

as for PETA i cant say enough good things about them, and the mccartneys, what an amazing thing they are doing, and have done in the past, granted heather mills can be a bit strong handed needs to take a page from lindas book i think.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

juless80 you should do more research on PETA, that may change you tune.

We may live in a modern world, so why should we fix what is not broken?. Fur will keep you much warmer and is more sustainable to the enviroment than anything synthetic.

Its interesting that you state we don`t live in caves anymore as if a more primitive way of living (use of fur) is shameful and bad, since we live in a modern world we are abusing this planet more and more, fossil fuels any one?.

To me, I couldn`t give a tiff what you eat or wear, as long as it is not endagered and was killed properly. Its a case of where you were brought, in India cows are sacred and in some parts so are rats I believe.

point taken dr evil, about fossil fuels that is, obvious im not gonna sit here and say that the modern world is so much better blah blah but dont you think we may have evolved enough where we dont have to slaughter animals for fashion, yeah they keep you warm but there are plenty of better looking, nicer and less expensive ways to keep warm... there is no need for fur... if someone can give me a use for fur that can not be fulfilled by anything else im all ears, and yes i do take the point ppl living off the land and nomads etc etc, but i dont think j-lo or any of those ppl who can afford such things are actually in need of another way to keep warm..... and as for peta, educated me if that is the point, cuz obviously there are ppl in here who know more than me, and im not saying that in a bitchie way, but in a genuine way... i know they are not WWF

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My issue with fur is that the animals it came from where not only killed to get it, they had to be bred and raised first ...and that is where the real cruelty lies.

Animals spending all their lives in little wire cages, only wire mesh to walk and sleep on, as a solid floor would collect faecies which in turn would soil the fur.
    Animals often times with claws and teeth ripped out and broken off, so that they can't damage their own fur and skin. Animals who are not allowed the tiniest degree of social interaction with each other or people, but nonetheless are kept in such close proximity to each other that they are constantly under immense stress.

That is where the cruelty lies ...the killing is the "humane" bit.

peasant wrote:
    My issue with fur is that the animals it came from where not only killed to get it, they had to be bred and raised first ...and that is where the real cruelty lies.

Animals spending all their lives in little wire cages, only wire mesh to walk and sleep on, as a solid floor would collect faecies which in turn would soil the fur.
    Animals often times with claws and teeth ripped out and broken off, so that they can't damage their own fur and skin. Animals who are not allowed the tiniest degree of social interaction with each other or people, but nonetheless are kept in such close proximity to each other that they are constantly under immense stress.

That is where the cruelty lies ...the killing is the "humane" bit.

Ditto this peasant! I detest any intensive farming practice such as this. Battery hens are in the same category.

• Advertisement

I agree about the breeding them solely for fur. This was my original point. If an animal is being used for multiple purposes, fair enough, but they should be treated with an amount of decency. I purchase free range eggs for this reason. The animal should have a life while providing a service. Is is it fair to expect a chicken to be locked in a little cage it's whole life to provide food for you? Which is why I don't eat veal or fois gras, the practices to obtain these products is sick and vile.

I think if everyone just made a few conscious decisions when making purchases the world could become a better place one purchase at a time.

totally agree guys as i said if the whole animal is used grand and kept in a humane and cruel free way fine and also euthanised in a humane way too, but unfortunalty this cost money so we will still get people.... if you can call these sickos that... beating animals to death, just saw a clip on seal cubs being clubbed and i dont think anything has made me more upset in a while.

what do you think about the subject of whaling????

Can't understand why whaling is necessary as there are plenty of synthetics out there now. It's the same with using animal parts in Asia for aphrodisiacs it's just not necessary. I just can't stand cruelty to animals or people and that is what makes me sick!

unfortunatly trillianv it is the nature of the beast, and it is a sick nature.... whaling, seal clubbing, fur farms, badger bating, fox hunting... the list goes on and on and we will never learn untill the day we have no animals left and we have to go to a museum to see a tiger or an elephant, it is a very sad state of affairs and it makes me sick to.....

went on a trip last year to australia, and went to australia zoo, yeah steve irwins place, and ok i dont very much agree with zoos either, but this place my lord and what he is doing for animal conservation is amazing and just wish there were more ppl like him, even though he is a but mad, on the planet....

at least on egood thing ralph lauren has stopped using fur in all of his lines, if only more ppl could do this.....

im feeling a bit sad now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

Originally Posted by fits

Yes no matter what their methods, just try and get justice in the courts for animals and see how far you won't get.

And this is where you lose people.

Walk out into the streets and ask random people if they support cruelty to animals and no one will say they will. Start playing PETA's little games, like suggesting underage students drink beer instead of milk because it's 'better for them' or throwing paint on people wearing fur coats is just the tip of the iceberg. It's slippery slope from there to burning down developments to preserve the wilderness and shooting abortion doctors to prevent women from getting abortions.

See, PETA could be doing so much more by trying to improve conditions of hens in factory farms or dairy cows instead of trying to get people to stop eating eggs or drinking milk altogether. Instead, they pull outre ridiculous stunts to get attention and the public rolls its eyes and shakes its head and says: Oh, that PETA; what a bunch of clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Walk out into the streets and ask random people if they support cruelty to animals and no one will say they will. Start playing PETA's little games, like suggesting underage students drink beer instead of milk because it's 'better for them' or throwing paint on people wearing fur coats is just the tip of the iceberg. It's slippery slope from there to burning down developments to preserve the wilderness and shooting abortion doctors to prevent women from getting abortions.

I'm with you there, Li'l Irish.

Fighting extremes with extremism never works

you have to fight fire with fire and where did the beer thing come from?????

and hold on a dont even bring the whole shootin abortion doctors into this into this... a woman has a right to choose what she wants and im sure if you could ask an animal if they would want to be skinned alive for a god dam fur coat they would say no.... and yeah you can say the unborn child cant be asked but it is completely different on so many levels!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

jules80 wrote:
    unfortunatly trillianv it is the nature of the beast, and it is a sick nature.... whaling, seal clubbing, fur farms, badger bating, fox hunting... the list goes on and on

modern agriculture really, cows, pigs, chickens.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

A couple of years ago, PETA started a campaign at a Midwestern college -- I believe it was the University of Illinois -- handing out pamphlets and giving public demonstrations about how much healthier it was to drink beer than milk.

Needless to say, MADD, AA, and pretty much any group that *wasn't* keen on alcohol poisoning and drunk driving came down on them like a ton of bricks. And across the country, people rolled thier eyes, shook thier heads and said: 'Does anybody pay attention to PETA anymore?'

The real irony is the dairy industry probably the least offensive in terms of animal cruelty; whenever cows are under stress, milk production is the first thing that stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I seriously hope any fur farmer gets whats coming to them and by that I mean a ****ing knife to the throat. I can't believe they get away with it.

Advertisement