Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

music

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

Pez wrote:
    Could sum1 tell me what the continuo is? Its in most of the bach piece lol
    yup its the organ and the cello and they play chords just to keep the singers in tune and create a backdrop.they read the figured bass line that tells them which chords to play.i think thats all you need to know *pats self on back*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ballerina wrote:
    yup its the organ and the cello and they play chords just to keep the singers in tune and create a backdrop.they read the figured bass line that tells them which chords to play.i think thats all you need to know *pats self on back*
    Ehm, the continuo is Double Bass and Organ, I think.
    Havent got the score at hand but I think the Cello is notated seperately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

hahahaha!!!!! ok well its defo the organ then lol! so if they say what instruments play here can u say the continuo? or organ and ........ ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 emertheleemer

Slurms wrote:
    Ehm, the continuo is Double Bass and Organ, I think.
    Havent got the score at hand but I think the Cello is notated seperately.

double bass is only in duetto aria. continuo is cello and organ je pense correct me if im wrong

double bass is only in duetto aria. continuo is cello and organ je pense correct me if im wrong
    You are correct in Aria Duetto the Continuo does consist of Organ and Cello.

But from watching the work being performed I know the Double Bass is involved in the majority of the movements. It is part of the Chaconne and the ostinato theme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

just to be annoying, its not actually a double bass... its a violone.. which came before double bass as we know it..
    but thats just nit picking :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

so wud it b wrong if u sed double bass? do u have to say violine?

no i think its ok to say double bass, i just wanted to be annoying... ;)

Rockerette wrote:
    no i think its ok to say double bass, i just wanted to be annoying... ;)
    You succeeded :p

Ah I really hope Bach comes up. Love the piece! Can you imagine of Tocatta & Fugue was on the course *dreams*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Slurms wrote:

Ah I really hope Bach comes up. Love the piece! Can you imagine of Tocatta & Fugue was on the course *dreams*

Oh..! I've said this a masquillion times before and I would just cry with happiness if the Aria Duetto came up in the Bach Question!! It's just so.. simple! And uplifting!!! ^_^
    Regardless, the Bach is definately my favourite work.
    I'm a little anxious about the composition paper. It's so hard to prepare for and I generally suck at it...

By the way - is anyone doing Music in College next year??? I am - can't wait!!!

• Advertisement

Slurms wrote:

:eek: i LOVE that piece!!
    its frickin amazing

and yeah, i just wanted to be annoying.. hehe...

Rockerette wrote:
    :eek: i LOVE that piece!!
    its frickin amazing

and yeah, i just wanted to be annoying.. hehe...
    Yeah it is ridiculously good. Bach is a genious. So is Grieg though, Grieg should be on the course aswell :p (Basically just make the course entirely Baroque!)

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

god you people are really into your classical music there..anyway is it the cello and organ or the double bass and organ??because in all my notes its the first and my heads starting to hurt...:confused:

Slurms wrote:
    Yeah it is ridiculously good. Bach is a genious. So is Grieg though, Grieg should be on the course aswell :p (Basically just make the course entirely Baroque!)

Grieg would be wonderful too..

however, 4 Chopin pieces would do me perfect either... rather monotnous for most.. but..
    damn i love that man :o

Eh continuo, i always thought it was organ, cello, and 'double bass' (hehe) the whole way through, but well... detail go over my head so im probably wrong :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 fraulein

I don't know what to learn for Irish music essay! How many will cover me? Will I be safe if I do Sean-nós, Changes, Ornamentation, Fusion? Is there a pattern from other years?
    How likely is it that the harmony question is in minor key? They give you the chords anyway don't they? You just need to remember to put accidentals in the bass line?
    Also what do you do when there's an upbeat in the Q1 composing? Can you start the next three phrases without an upbeat (I find it easier :D ) and just make sure to have the correct number of beats in the final bar?

fraulein wrote:
    I don't know what to learn for Irish music essay! How many will cover me? Will I be safe if I do Sean-nós, Changes, Ornamentation, Fusion? Is there a pattern from other years?
    How likely is it that the harmony question is in minor key? They give you the chords anyway don't they? You just need to remember to put accidentals in the bass line?
    Also what do you do when there's an upbeat in the Q1 composing? Can you start the next three phrases without an upbeat (I find it easier :D ) and just make sure to have the correct number of beats in the final bar?

- Irish music essays; i say if youre learning sean nós, learn ballads aswell, cos if "the song tradition" comes up, you're expected to mention both i think.. Im doing that, fusions, and something about Sean ORiada, and if im feeling adventurous, Michael OSuillebhain too.. and trad dance music too maybe.

-the harmony in minor? its possible.. not sure of the odds.. when the melody was in a minor last year, it was the 1st time in ages/ever? and people were uber surprised, so they might pop it into the harmony this year. eeh.. make sure you know the chords.. i.e that some are augmented or whatever.. and dont always raise the 6th and 7th.. depends on the context.. well thats more for melody.. or.. depending on whetrher you do Q4 or Q5 for the harmony

Eehh... and upbeats... put them in right.. dont just forget about them for the other phases... Well, im not fully sure, but im assuming they'd take marks off??

All I'm doin for the Irish essay is Sean Nós and Dances. If anything else comes up I'm fooked, but its only 10 marks so it aint that bad.

As for the upbeat. You can balance it at the very end or else maintain the upbeat throughout the entire piece. Both ways are acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

Rockerette wrote:
    -

-the harmony in minor? its possible.. not sure of the odds.. when the melody was in a minor last year, it was the 1st time in ages/ever? and people were uber surprised, so they might pop it into the harmony this year. eeh.. make sure you know the chords.. i.e that some are augmented or whatever.. and dont always raise the 6th and 7th.. depends on the context.. well thats more for melody.. or.. depending on whetrher you do Q4 or Q5 for the harmony

Eehh... and upbeats... put them in right.. dont just forget about them for the other phases... Well, im not fully sure, but im assuming they'd take marks off??

Holy crap.
    I never thought about a minor harmony question! Does it really make any difference??
    Like - what's the difference between a Minor or Major Harmony when it comes to the chord progressions and stuff?? Ah... I'm starting to panic now.. I just want the exam to be over with...
    *runs off to learn the works... again...*

Advertisement