Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Komplett have any Conroe compatible boards?

Options
  • 17-06-2006 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Do any boards currently for sale on komplett offer compatibility with conroe chips? I need a stop gap solution before conroe becomes 'readily available' and dont want to wait 3 months. I think my chances of getting a release conroe are slim to nil, plus im bored and really want to build a PC now.

I was thinking AM2, but are AM2 boards guaranteed to be compatible with K8L? Would they have bothered with AM2 if it werent?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

AM2 boards should be compatable with K8L, because AMD said that AM2 will be like their new socket A, and its designed to last years.........

The 975X chipset supports Conroe, but they need a newer VRM (voltage regulator module or something) to work with the conroe chips........

So, im not sure what revisions of which boards have the newer tech.......

Anyway, Now is really the worst time to upgrade.....

You will be kicking yourself in a few weeks when the prices drop..........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

what about buying an Epox board, AM2 (about 80 euro on komplett) and a 3200 or a 3500 single core processor? Can prices for these drop much lower than the levels they are already at?

As much as I like the look of conroe, there are two small issues holding me back:

1)July 23rd release date - but we wont be seeing retail chips at the suggested prices for a while, OEM are getting priority so the already high demand in the custom builders market will be met with a small initial supply, more than likely we will see high retail prices and chancers buying in bulk and flogging them on ebay for a healthy profit.

2)I like conspiracy theories and i just have a niggling feeling about these 'benchmarks' where intel doesnt let ppl setup their own test environments.Im probably paranoid, dont point that out, and conroe will be fantastic.

That said, i dont want to be running around looking for the last conroe in some buzz lightyear or xbox360 type launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=320345

Should be conroe compatible, but google to make sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Good spot, i checked like u said and it does indeed support conroe. Wont be in stock for a while though :(. Thx for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

OcUK just added a bunch of mobos that support Conroe...they're not in stock, but should be in in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Intel BadAxe is the Conroe mobo for the moment.

Advertisement