Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C Ronaldo

• 17-06-2006 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro

I thought you had to wear your last name on your shirt. I recall Hasselbaink joining Leeds and being refused to have Jimmy on his shirt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Of course you don't,ie Pele is really Edson Arantes do Nascimento.

Could have just been an FA policy with JFH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

nipplenuts wrote:

I thought you had to wear your last name on your shirt.

Dont think there's much hold on that..... ask any Man Utd fan about a certain "Yordi" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

There's plenty of examples. Fabregas has Cesc on his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Sure look at the Brazilian Ronaldo, and even Ronaldinho. The other day Fabregas had 'Cesc' on the back of his Spanish jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

How come Kanu never had Nwankwo on his back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Wasn't there a guy, who had Old John on his back, heard it mentioned on Commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Zerouali used to wear the number 0 on his jersey for Aberdeen in the SPL, Ghanas 1st scorer had his 1st name on his jersey. Dont see any problem with it tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Raul Gonzales Blanco. Simply known as Raul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

c.ronaldo will be dire no matter what he puts on the back of his shirt. i'd imagine it doesnt matter what name is on the shirt anyway, they go by their squad numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

whiskeyman wrote:
    Dont think there's much hold on that..... ask any Man Utd fan about a certain "Yordi" :D

I think he knew his surname was never going to live up to someone else with the same surname!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think he knew his surname was never going to live up to someone else with the same surname!
    And he was right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PL rules and FIFA rulesare different, fifa pretty much let you put what you want on them as usually thats the name that sells boots n stuff.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

el rabitos wrote:
    c.ronaldo will be dire no matter what he puts on the back of his shirt.

Technically, Ronaldo is one of the best players in the Premiership. Lightning fast, excellent in the air, two good feet, decent touch, impressive skill (when it comes off) and he can really strike a ball (remember that free kick he took a while ago? it started curling to the left and then curled back right, keeper was well confused). Despite what many think, he is also quite a passionate player (remember him crying after losing the FA Cup final?). If he learns how to use his skills properly, and he has plenty of time, he could be great. In another thread, I said he really just needs to work on crossing and general decision-making, and perhaps grow some harder skin and not get frustrated when the crowd or other players target him. In reality, for such a young player who gets fouled so often, he's maturing quite well.

I get quite annoyed by the overcriticism of Ronaldo. Yeah, it's frustrating to watch a talented player who isn't using his full potential, especially when people like Rooney and Messi seem to be on top of their games at even younger ages. Judging by his improvement under both Ferguson and Scolari, he seems to take constructive criticism well, so in two years or so he could be one of the best wingers around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Technically, Ronaldo is one of the best players in the Premiership. Lightning fast, excellent in the air, two good feet, decent touch, impressive skill (when it comes off) and he can really strike a ball (remember that free kick he took a while ago? it started curling to the left and then curled back right, keeper was well confused). Despite what many think, he is also quite a passionate player (remember him crying after losing the FA Cup final?). If he learns how to use his skills properly, and he has plenty of time, he could be great. In another thread, I said he really just needs to work on crossing and general decision-making, and perhaps grow some harder skin and not get frustrated when the crowd or other players target him. In reality, for such a young player who gets fouled so often, he's maturing quite well.
    I agree with your positive assessment, but I think you're overlooking one very important trait in a footballer - intelligence (that is, footballing intelligence).

As Gilsey likes to say about Danny Mills, "he is a stupid player who makes stupid mistakes". Ronaldo, has the potential to be close to the full package but I think he has suspect temprament and he simply doesn't know when to use what skills. 0-0 against Iran today and he was goving away posession left right and centre, not because he was being closed down particularly well (the guy plays against Premiership teams far more adept at closing players than Iran are) but because he tried to do showboating flicks instead of looking up and keeping possession. This pretty much invalidates his skills at the time.

The talk at the moment suggests that Van Nist is on his way out of Utd because he had a go at Ronaldo and Fegie took Ronaldos side. Perhaps what Ronaldo needs is a manager who will be critical of him (in a positive way) and actual develop his weaker side rather than rely on his strengths.

I almost hate to say it, but he'd probably be a much better player for Chelsea.

I get quite annoyed by the overcriticism of Ronaldo. Yeah, it's frustrating to watch a talented player who isn't using his full potential, especially when people like Rooney and Messi seem to be on top of their games at even younger ages. Judging by his improvement under both Ferguson and Scolari, he seems to take constructive criticism well, so in two years or so he could be one of the best wingers around.

technically nothing, he's dire, awfull and him being at utd is a plus to chelsea liverpool and arsenal.

no doubt he could run rings around the opposition players but its at the point now where its like, who really cares what he does, he's just going to kick it into the stand anyway.

he's muck, dire, awfull, a nothing, a nobody, a blemish on chelsea's ass. makelle makes easy money on players like him. valencia wanted him a while back, sell him for his overhyped premiership value says i.

Perhaps. Apparently Scolari did exactly that, and - while I haven't seen that much for Portugal - Ronaldo generally cut out the tricks and played exceptionally well throughout the qualifiers. He got Portuguese player of the year, first time Figo didn't win it in yonks. So it seems the potential is there at least. Whether Alex Ferguson is the right man to unlock it, I don't know.

I don't know how much of the necessary footballing intelligence is inherent, though. But if he does sort it out, I maintain that he could be one of the Premiership's (or wherever he plays) best.

EDIT: that was a response to psi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

whiskeyman wrote:

Or "Jordi" even.:D

Van Bronkhurst had "Gio" on his Barca shirt.

Henry also wears a first name on his Arsenal shirt!

el rabitos wrote:
    technically nothing, he's dire, awfull and him being at utd is a plus to chelsea liverpool and arsenal.

no doubt he could run rings around the opposition players but its at the point now where its like, who really cares what he does, he's just going to kick it into the stand anyway.

he's muck, dire, awfull, a nothing, a nobody, a blemish on chelsea's ass. makelle makes easy money on players like him. valencia wanted him a while back, sell him for his overhyped premiership value says i.

I disagree, I'd say give him at least two years to develop his game. He's a player that with just a few small improvements could become a lot better than he is. Even now, I'd rather have him in my side than not. He's a player that makes things happen, excellent on the counter and gets his fair share of goals. Yes, he may not be great for possession football and slowly building up patient attacks, but that can change.

I disagree, I'd say give him at least two years to develop his game. He's a player that with just a few small improvements could become a lot better than he is. Even now, I'd rather have him in my side than not. He's a player that makes things happen, excellent on the counter and gets his fair share of goals. Yes, he may not be great for possession football and slowly building up patient attacks, but that can change.

thats fine, just dont expect man utd to be winning any significant trophy with him in their side.

to win matches u need the ball, and if u lose it in a big european game, ur lucky to get it back for long periods of time

el rabitos wrote:
    thats fine, just dont expect man utd to be winning any significant trophy with him in their side.

to win matches u need the ball, and if u lose it in a big european game, ur lucky to get it back for long periods of time

You're exagerrate his possession-losing I think. Usually when he runs with the ball he shoots, crosses (admittedly inconsistently) or wins a free kick. Even if you saw the Portugal game today, there were plenty of times he was given the ball on the wing, realised there was nothing on and simply passed back. Besides, I do think the problem is unfairly exagerrated in both United and Portugal when, with both Giggs and Figo getting old, he is often the only player really capable of running forward with the ball. It's all well and good to keep the ball, but you have to take risks as well. Ronaldo is often the player that makes things happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I mentioned this point in a post in another WC thread. I forget which one.

Yeah, I agree with the general point of the OP. I think teams should be forced to put on real surnames on their shirts, otherwise, whats to stop someone putting advertising in their "nickname", eg: Toyota Nakano, Louis Vluton Garcia, Nike Sheehy, etc. Not good examples but you get the point.

Pele didnt have his name on his shirts as there were no names used on shirts back then. I think FIFA should enforce a rule or else just state that anything goes, and if so, then it could become farcical. Maybe get rid of the names altogether, numbers are sufficient.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think a player should be allowed put whatever the hell he wants on his shirt. They're already walking adverts so a few more square inches won't make much of a difference. They've a got a way to catch up with F1 drivers as it is.
    redspider wrote:
    Pele didnt have his name on his shirts as there were no names used on shirts back then.

http://www.bermansports.com/images/500-pele.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ronaldo strikes me as a guy who practiced tricks alot when he was a kid.
    He is lightning fast (Genes),very good at tricks but brainless.
    He doesnt have a football brain,he isnt a natural footballer,he is artificial.
    I dont think this can be coached ,you either have a football brain or you dont and he certainly doesnt have one.
    He rarely chooses the correct option to pass,feign a pass,cross,or shoot.
    He is an infuriating player to watch and he will never get any better.
    Coming after Kanchelskis and Beckham the boy isnt fit to lace their boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'd say give him at least two years to develop his game.
    Utd fans have been saying that for the past 3-4 years.

Ronaldo strikes me as a guy who practiced tricks alot when he was a kid.
    He is lightning fast (Genes),very good at tricks but brainless.
    He doesnt have a football brain,he isnt a natural footballer,he is artificial.
    I dont think this can be coached ,you either have a football brain or you dont and he certainly doesnt have one.
    He rarely chooses the correct option to pass,feign a pass,cross,or shoot.
    He is an infuriating player to watch and he will never get any better.
    Coming after Kanchelskis and Beckham the boy isnt fit to lace their boots.
    I think you missed the point of the thread....
    Edit: Actually my apologies, the thread descended into a big Ronaldo debate before your post...

Perhaps, but how do you explain his apparent improvement in performance for Portugal? Like I said, maybe he doesn't have the perfect football brain, but I'm sure his ability coupled with some experience will make him at the very least a good player.
    PiE wrote:

The last 2-3 years, maybe. And he has improved significantly since then, and he does occasionally have great games. I'm not suggesting that he's in the same category as all of these, but many many players have not reached their potential until later in their careers. Zidane, Toni, Joe Cole to name three off the top of my head. Joe Cole seems the perfect comparison, a skilful player who constantly wasted possession with seemingly pointless flicks, sidelined at Chelsea who now has developed into a very valuable player.

I think you missed the point of the thread....
    Edit: Actually my apologies, the thread descended into a big Ronaldo debate before your post...

My fault, apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

el rabitos wrote:

Yep, but at least i'll have a smile on my face. I'll have no hair left after me pulling it all out but at least it's fun watching him play from time to time. More fun than watching makalele anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Originally Posted by PiE

Really, they were saying that when he was at Sporting Lisbon?
    Nuts

I'd pay to see Ronaldo play, and I'm fairly sure a lot of other people here would, that's the ultimate compliment to him. He will be the best player in the world at some point, personally I think ahead of Rooney.

As for the name on the shirt thing, in South America and Iberia first names are often used as names on the shirt.

One must remember what Ronaldinho means!!
    Ronaldo was too prominant for their to be another Ronaldo, as Ronaldinho could have been called, so he is called,

Ronaldinho

Also known as 'Little Ronaldo'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PHB wrote:
    I'd pay to see Ronaldo play, and I'm fairly sure a lot of other people here would, that's the ultimate compliment to him. He will be the best player in the world at some point, personally I think ahead of Rooney.

You'd pay to see him if he's having a good game. That's the thing with Ronaldo, you're never sure.

As for the other point, Rooney is a far better prospect. Ronaldo is failing to prove his potential so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well I think Ronaldo was better a few years back then he has been this season, he has been rubbish this year. In fairness to him his father died and he had a rape charge hanging over him for a while which would affect anyone.

He does have great potential but I doubt he ever be 1 of the greats because to be blunt, he just strikes me as stupid, does the wrong thing on so many occasions and cares more about showing off then doing the right thing for the team and until he sorts that out then he will never be a great.

Yep, but at least i'll have a smile on my face. I'll have no hair left after me pulling it all out but at least it's fun watching him play from time to time. More fun than watching makalele anyway:rolleyes:

you know what puts a smile on my face? its not when luis garcia gets the ball then swifly loses it...its when liverpool win trophys

i'm sure ronaldo is a joy to watch, but to get things back on topic, he should get "perenial runner up" put on the back of his jersey :D

you know what puts a smile on my face? its not when luis garcia gets the ball then swifly loses it...its when liverpool win trophys

That's the difference you see.
    I'd rather Ronaldo kept trying these tricks and kept staying the same until he becomes a world class player in his mould, cause even if we didn't win a trophy for three years, when we did win it, we'd win it with the style that deserves to win trophies

PHB wrote:
    That's the difference you see.
    I'd rather Ronaldo kept trying these tricks and kept staying the same until he becomes a world class player in his mould, cause even if we didn't win a trophy for three years, when we did win it, we'd win it with the style that deserves to win trophies

haha, right.

PHB wrote:
    Really, they were saying that when he was at Sporting Lisbon?
    Nuts

Like every signing, rumours abound for months before and a lot of people were saying (yes... even 3-4 years ago), that he's "a great prospect". He can only cling onto that for so long and personally, I think he's milked it long enough. Next season is the big one for him, whatever happens in the World Cup, I reckon it'll be his last chance at Utd.
    He will be the best player in the world at some point, personally I think ahead of Rooney.
    You're deluded.

• Advertisement

He can only cling onto that for so long

He's 21

Maybe... but Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto'o, Owen etc are/were all well established by that age. These are the players you're saying he's going to be better than. To put it nicely; I don't agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PiE wrote:
    Maybe... but Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Messi, Eto'o, Owen etc are/were all well established by that age. These are the players you're saying he's going to be better than. To put it nicely; I don't agree.

I agree. Ronaldo has been in the PL for long enough now to be able to try and offer some form of consistency. Its all well and good for him to pop up and score two goals against the likes of Bolton but then he goes missing for a month after. He's vastly overrated at the minute.

As I said before, I'd take MGP over him any day.

Rooney - Granted
    Kaka - didn't make his international debut until he was 20, and was still playing in Brazil at Ronaldo's age
    Ronaldinho - played with PSG until he was 23/24 I think, and he was often criticised while he was there by many.
    Messi - He's a freak, potential to become the best player ever, so he doesn't count
    Eto'o - What was he, 24, when he transferred to Barca? I'm not sure how he did before that
    Owen - Yeah, good at 18-24, now he seems to have lost it.

For a 21-year old who gets fouled half the time he touches the ball, gets taunted by the crowd at every opportunity, was accused of rape and whose Dad died recently, Ronaldo is doing alright. And, maybe for most players 18/19 is too early to be playing for the big clubs, but 21 is still too early to judge a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

In Rooney and Ronaldo United have 2 of the best young players around. Anyone who thinks Ronaldo is a poor player is just letting anti-manu Bias get in the way of their judgement.

However, I do think he has to get his attitude right before United can get the best from him. As far as natural ability goes he's one of the best in the EPL and next season will be important for him. he needs to be hitting the 15-20 goal mark and he needs to improve as a provider also. Once that happens he'll be worthy of wearing the no.7 shirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think hes an over-rated joke of a player. Lots of raw talent but very little finished product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Tusky wrote:
    I think hes an over-rated joke of a player. Lots of raw talent but very little finished product.

couldn't agree more. Potential to be a very good player, way to selfish and at times self destructive attitude

Whats nuts about Ronaldo is he has 12 goals this season, 9 of them in the league. Most of those came in the 2nd half of the season.

When Ronaldo is good, he will win you the game. If Ronaldo plays well, Portugal can win the World Cup. When he playd amazing for them in the Euro's they did great, if he preforms, they can win it.

Isn't it incredible that Portugal and United are that dependent on a 21 year old?

PHB wrote:
    Isn't it incredible that Portugal and United are that dependent on a 21 year old?

and what have united won recently? a fat load of nothing

then theres portugal, beaten by greece in their own back yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

el rabitos wrote:

I think you may be under rating the Carling Cup. It has become a very prestigous competition. ;)

The Muppet wrote:
    I think you may be under rating the Carling Cup. It has become a very prestigous competition. ;)
    Nah, it was only valuable when Liverpool won it :)

Nah, it was only valuable when Liverpool won it :)

its good to be the record holders of the worthless cup :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

In Rooney and Ronaldo United have 2 of the best young players around. Anyone who thinks Ronaldo is a poor player is just letting anti-manu Bias get in the way of their judgement.
    I'm a Man Utd fan,have been for 25 years and I dont rate Ronaldo.
    The guy is a chump.
    He reminds me of that Brazilian player Denilson ,all tricks and no end product.
    phb wrote:
    I'd rather Ronaldo kept trying these tricks and kept staying the same until he becomes a world class player in his mould
    If you want to see tricks go see a magician.
    Fact is the guy is completely unreliable and is a headless chicken.
    Sure he can be very good but most of the time he is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

el rabitos wrote:

[Edit]It's never too late..

Please keep it on topic Ruskie[/Edit]

Too late...

• Advertisement
Advertisement