Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy vs USA

• 17-06-2006 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

All USA so far, italians shockingly fouling anything that moves.

Not a bad game so far.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1-1 italy score against run of play Gilardino from a Totti free and Mc Bride "the birdman" forces and OG

And De Rossi off for a nasty vicious elbow thats just ****ing nasty should get double red ffs

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Italy down to 10 now if the score stays as it is it will make the final games in the group very interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Well this could be interesting. USA were already playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

should be interesting now. 10 man Latinos, let's see what they've got.

another bet doomed

• Advertisement

ooooh. I think I'll support the Yanks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Feckin' hell it's all happening now. Both teams down to ten, the Italians deservedly so, the US....not so sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Think it was a definite red. Two footed tackle through his ankle nowhere near the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The elbow was an absolute disgrace and De Rossi should be severely punished with a ban for that.

The US sending off was justified... just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The refs a joke, I really hope the Yanks get something out of this game. Italians are reverting to type when under pressure.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ref has been blowing too often but made the right decision for both the red cards - the offside where Gattuso's shot looped in off the post was a bad decision though, Keller wouldn't have saved it.

Should make for an open game in the 2nd half!

// Edit - USA down to nine, second bookable for Pope.

Congratulations FIFA, you have the referees scared so ****less that they will brandish a yellow card if someone sneezes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

If Italy lose this then final group games will be very interesting. I never thought I'd say this, but c'mon the uSA!

FT 1-1. Shame the game was ruined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Awful, awful match. I had such high expectations because of Italys previous performance against Ghana.

De Rossi should be sent home for that outrageous elbow. He's well known as a dirty player, and he's stupid enough to get caught.

Can I say I enjoyed that match? Maybe its me but there's nothing like a bit of blood and thunder (or thud and blunder) esp if the Italians are at the wrong end of it. I cant' stand them. Sorry.

USA and Ghana to qualify!? :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Slurms wrote:
    Awful, awful match. I had such high expectations because of Italys previous performance against Ghana.

De Rossi should be sent home for that outrageous elbow. He's well known as a dirty player, and he's stupid enough to get caught.

That was a great game, one of the best so far i have seen.

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I was so against the Italians tonight because if the wind blows their players hit the deck. They just dive so often and it really annoys me. Cant wait to see them knocked out. Fair play to the Yanks for getting a deserved result. De Rossi should get at least a three game ban for that elbow. Vicious stuff.

I have to laugh at Gilesy on the high moral ground.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

I enjoyed this game too. Very open, end-to-end stuff in the second half, although McBride was hopeless up front for the US. Never looked like scoring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

KdjaC wrote:
    That was a great game, one of the best so far i have seen.

kdjac
    I think I nearly always disagree with you on this Soccer forum. The internet is fun :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Disappointed in Italy but fair play to the US for sticking to it and getting the draw, they deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

plazzTT wrote:
    I enjoyed this game too. Very open, end-to-end stuff in the second half, although McBride was hopeless up front for the US. Never looked like scoring.

In fairness they fairly knocked him about the place and the service wasn't great...

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Was thinking that myself.

Dirrrttttyyy Leeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yanks 1 Planks 1

If many Americans didn't 'get' sakker today they'll probably be more confused tomorrow.

I can see some Americans thinking : "I don't get it? We only tied the game and we had two players sin-binned yet our guys are celebrating out there on the ballpark like they just won the World Cup Series"

Terrible game anyway. Is DeRossi trying to out-Totti Totti or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    ye but in fairness to him, he has mentioned that himself and he regrets it. repentance and forgiveness and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Kingp35 wrote:
    I was so against the Italians tonight because if the wind blows their players hit the deck. They just dive so often and it really annoys me. Cant wait to see them knocked out. Fair play to the Yanks for getting a deserved result. De Rossi should get at least a three game ban for that elbow. Vicious stuff.

Me too. I'm hoping that the Cechs and Ghanians both win and go through. Although I wouldn't place a bet to that affect, the italians always seem to grind out results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

Shocking performance from the Italians.
    I'm no fan of the US but fair play to them, at least they're not cheaters.
    The yanks have been so wrong to pick on the French ("Freedom fries", surrender monkies) when it's really the Italians that deserve a bit of stick.
    Totally agree with John Giles's comment about the "persecution complex" that has set into the american camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

actually, i enjoyed the game.

i was very impressed withthe USA after they went down to 9 men. i thought they ran their socks off, and when thbey were on the ball, they suually held on to it, and played some really nice football.

not too sure what happened to italy. they just didnt seem to want to step up and match the USA for indutry on the pitch tonight. just seemed to stay in the same gear and not make much running at all.

• Advertisement

De Rossi apologised to McBride after the game, which the American apparently described as 'classy'.
    "I'm sorry for myself, my team and the fans," said the 22-year-old.

"I didn't intend to harm him. I talked with him and now I'm hoping the punishment isn't too harsh. I feel terrible about it. I explained what happened with McBride and he was very kind."

Very entertaining game, if for the wrong reasons. USA were terrific and probably had the best chances even with 9 men; it'll be interesting to see how they fare against Ghana. Czech Rep vs Italy is now poised perfectly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

italys odds not suprisingly widened.i wonder did the intense securoty surrounding america affect them.how are they in top 5/10 in the world! those fifa rankings need fixing as does fifa itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Am I alone in thinking the US fans behind Keller's goal in the 2nd half have perfected the "obnoxious football fan" routine down to a tee? The abuse they gave of of the Italians towards the end as he went to take a corner was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Pigman II wrote:
    Yanks 1 Planks 1

If many Americans didn't 'get' sakker today they'll probably be more confused tomorrow.

I can see some Americans thinking : "I don't get it? We only tied the game and we had two players sin-binned yet our guys are celebrating out there on the ballpark like they just won the World Cup Series"

Terrible game anyway. Is DeRossi trying to out-Totti Totti or something?

Wondered how long it would take for some muppet to take the piss out off Americans, really getting sick of it at this stage, I am 100% Irish, my wife is american and my children will be 50-50, we were shouting on the states here last night.

Your comments would be just as stupid as an american saying "The Irish wondered why they didnt get a 45 when the keeper knocked it wide"

I really enjoyed the game BTW, first american sending off was harsh, second debatable.

dbnavan wrote:
    Wondered how long it would take for some muppet to take the piss out off Americans, really getting sick of it at this stage, I am 100% Irish, my wife is american and my children will be 50-50, we were shouting on the states here last night.

Your comments would be just as stupid as an american saying "The Irish wondered why they didnt get a 45 when the keeper knocked it wide"

Yeah whatever. Lighten up dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v65M7ea-6iw&search=cambiasso

"The ball is being circulated beautifully!"

"Oh man! That is ridiculous! Boom boom!"

Pigman II wrote:

hahaha that's brilliant. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:

So what.....They are different Dialects, ever listen the Michael O'Muircheartaigh commentating on GAA? You lighten up my friend:rolleyes:

""Anthony Lynch the Cork corner back will be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers".

I am sure other nationalities' could take the piss out off that, could hardly imagine Motty saying that.

dbnavan wrote:
    So what.....They are different Dialects, ever listen the Michael O'Muircheartaigh commentating on GAA?
    Nope. Is he any good?
    You lighten up my friend:rolleyes:
    Are we really friends? Cool! Glad to hear it. Also thanks for the friendly advise frienderino but I'm fine in the lightening-up dept. You on the other hand sound like you might have a bee in your bonnet.
    ""Anthony Lynch the Cork corner back will be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers".
    I am sure other nationalities' could take the piss out off that, could hardly imagine Motty saying that.
    I'm sure they could. Let them go for it.

Pigman II wrote:

the bit that that you missed with that quote is "that is the phrase Peckerman used...."

Jose Pekerman being the Argentina Manager

dbnavan wrote:
    the bit that that you missed with that quote is "that is the phrase Peckerman used...."

No I didn't miss that at all. I could just as easily have heard Pekerman giving lectures on "circulating the ball" but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to start using it as part of my footballing lexicon just to make it sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Anyway why are you only quoting that youtube post now buddy? You had your chance on the last post you made to do that.

No but what I meant was you post took the mick out the Americans talking about circulating the ball, When in fact he was correctly quoting the Argentinian Manager. This in my opinion shows that he did know what he was talking about as he had researched the teams and what the manager had said.

At the end of the day had an RTE commentor said it you would have thought nothing of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

dbnavan wrote:

I really enjoyed the game BTW, first american sending off was harsh, second debatable.

You must hate the Budweiser ads during RTEs coverage of the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

I have absolutely_no_voice left today, I got a little over-excited in the pub last night (usa..usa..) and probably made a few italian enemies for life... :-D

*Way* too hungover to post analysis but that was a great performance from 9-men.

dbnavan wrote:
    No but what I meant was you post took the mick out the Americans talking about circulating the ball
    No i took the mick out Americans for the inability of many of them to grasp the game of football. Their use of terminology is just one factor that goes to betray this lack of understanding. Hell just to demonstrate it further (and lingo aside) in that Cambiasso clip the commentator clearly seemed more impressed with the Crespo backheel and the finish rather than everything that lead up to it. I'm sure if there had been an overhead kick in there somewhere he'd probably have been spraying his shorts.
    , When in fact he was correctly quoting the Argentinian Manager. This in my opinion shows that he did know what he was talking about as he had researched the teams and what the manager had said.
    Yes and I could go round correctly quoting Noam Chomsky. Doesn't necessarily mean I understand a lick about US foriegn policy.
    At the end of the day had an RTE commentor said it you would have thought nothing of it.
    Would I not have? How can you know that for a fact?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51548917&postcount=52

Basically when it comes to commentators making stupid comments everyone is fair game imho.
    If that RTE guy had said "circulating the ball" I'd probably have had a field day.

Speaking of commentators, did anyone watch this match on ITV? They were hilarious.

Some quotes are along the lines of:

Pleat: "Italy are now playing with a 3-4-2 formation."

No David, it's a 4-3-2.

Pleat: "The USA are now playing with a 4-3-2 formation".

No David, they've got 9 men left on the pitch. 10 minutes later his co-commentator (Drury?) finally picks up on the mismatch, resulting in a stony silence from Pleat.

"EQUALISER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" shouts Pleat's buddy when USA 'score' to go 2-1 up.

"What's the score? Is it still 1-1?"

Same commentator again, 10 minutes later.

Yeah I watched in ITV, the maths became too much for them :p

I think Pleat is an awful commentator.

Quality. BTW RTE were'nt much better, I forget which game it was but the commentator made a few paux-pas yesterday.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Italy at 27/2 on Betfair. I got them at 10/1. :( I still think they have a great chance of winning.

The US said before the game that this would be a war and they weren't lying. :) They were out to prove themselves after the Czech game and it was a must win game for them.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Italy at 27/2 on Betfair. I got them at 10/1. :( I still think they have a great chance of winning.
    They're 29/2 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It was a match you can't judge a team on, except that they came through it with a point, which wasn't terrible considering. Stupid from De Rossi, it's the end of his world cup, since it was gona be between him and Pedotta for the second DM spot after Gattuso, and now he's definally lost it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

They're 29/2 now.
    14.5 = 17/2. :) You include the stake in decimal odds. For example, 2/1 would be 3.00 in decimals.

• Advertisement
Advertisement