Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy vs USA

2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Okay Mr Smarteypants!

The figures make much more sense now... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Pigman II wrote:
    No i took the mick out Americans for the inability of many of them to grasp the game of football. Their use of terminology is just one factor that goes to betray this lack of understanding. Hell just to demonstrate it further (and lingo aside) in that Cambiasso clip the commentator clearly seemed more impressed with the Crespo backheel and the finish rather than everything that lead up to it. I'm sure if there had been an overhead kick in there somewhere he'd probably have been spraying his shorts.

Yes and I could go round correctly quoting Noam Chomsky. Doesn't necessarily mean I understand a lick about US foriegn policy.

Would I not have? How can you know that for a fact?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51548917&postcount=52

Basically when it comes to commentators making stupid comments everyone is fair game imho.
    If that RTE guy had said "circulating the ball" I'd probably have had a field day.

I think you just dont get what he means by circulating the ball.

As for the co-commentator, thats Shep Messing. Former goalkeeper of the NY Cosmos. Played with Pele, Beckenbauer etc in the 70's. I take it he knows a little about footie. Also that clip doesnt have the part immediately after that where they discuss the whole move in general.

As for the US, noone gave them much of a chance in the Italy game. Awful referee, Totti dove for the free kick that led to their goal, player offside at the back post on their free kick goal, Pope's shirt being pulled when he gets his first yellow, some dodgy offside decisions against the Italians. The other two reds were justified.

Anything can happen yet in this group, though I do think the Czechs are up against it with the Italians with Koller and Baros(probably) out with injury and a number of other suspensions. De Rossi out for Italy. Muntari and Gyan out for Ghana, Pope and Mastroeni for US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dbnavan less of the personal abuse please.

I used to watch the CL on Fox Sports when in NY and they were fairly decent commentators, ESPN try to hard but have some decent mexican lad who co commentates. Tbh its more the accent that puts you off than what they say.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

FatherTed wrote:
    I think you just dont get what he means by circulating the ball.
    No I get what it means. It's like that time Maradona gained 60yards vs Great Britain back in '86 right?
    As for the co-commentator, thats Shep Messing. Former goalkeeper of the NY Cosmos. Played with Pele, Beckenbauer etc in the 70's. I take it he knows a little about footie.
    The ol'dog Shep felt the need to qualify the "circulating" comment by pointing out it was said by Pekerman so whatever experience he has is irrelevant.
    Also that clip doesnt have the part immediately after that where they discuss the whole move in general.
    Neither did the ESPN action-replay footage that followed it. They were too busy going Boom-Boom and praising Crespos backheel.

Compare it to the BBC commentary during the action-replay where they immediately praise the overall possession & movement and not just the little tricks at the end. Both were working off the same feed btw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoL8Lr9LVM4&search=argentina%2024%20passes

To each his own I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

FatherTed wrote:
    To each his own I guess.

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Pigman II wrote:
    Neither did the ESPN action-replay footage that followed it. They were too busy going Boom-Boom and praising Crespos backheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoL8Lr9LVM4&search=argentina%2024%20passes

ESPN have Tommy Smyth, originally from Louth :eek: commentating for them. He probably said that Cambiasso stuck it in the onion bag. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

KdjaC wrote:
    Dbnavan less of the personal abuse please.

Care to quote my use of personal abuse? I just read all my posts on this thread and I fail to see where I abused anyone.

**Edit Muppet statement possibily, ok I retract it, just tierd of Irish anti-americianism, especially on boards. Any other country and people would be banned for racism but as It's only America.......~sigh~ Ah well sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

dbnavan wrote:
    Any other country and people would be banned for racism but as It's only America.......~sigh~ Ah well sorry

YOu must of missed all those english threads aswell.

Terrible game. Cant wait for italy to get the hiding they deserve. De Rossi is a scumbag. Disgraceful challange. He didnt mean it? Yea right :rolleyes:

He stamped on a swiss player in the friendly a few weeks before. He musto f learnt this from training with totti at Roma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

This was a great result for the US. The game was a battle of sorts but it was still an intriguing contest and some football was played. The sendings off were justified imo. The ref wasnt great though on other occasions and the game was hevily interrupted. Italy will definitely look on this match at two points lost and especially when it was 10 men against 9, they would have been expected to do a lot more. Their performance was far from that of world cup winning level.

It may be a blip, time will tell, but for me, the Italians look like a good team, defiunitely top-8, possibly top-4, but not WC contenders. A so-called dark horse perhaps.

redspider

Advertisement