Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Physics question thread....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

caesar wrote:
    Put it into a song, sorry thats the best thing i could think of.
    thats usually how i learn ALL my defininitions but for some reason this one I can NEVER remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Polarisation... definition?? theres no clear one in the book...

thank you... in advance :D

Raphael wrote:
    Right it out 10 times before you go into the exam. RIght it out again as soon as you open your answer book
    now theres a plan...thanks

Rockerette wrote:
    Polarisation... definition?? theres no clear one in the book...

thank you... in advance :D

polarisation is when a waves oscillations are confined to one plane ONLY

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

And only transverse waves can be polarised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Because longitudal ones don;t vibrate in a plane to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Raphael wrote:
    Because longitudal ones don;t vibrate in a plane to begin with.
    I know that too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I just felt like adding something to continue the 2 post long sentence. =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

hehe thank you guys :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Has anyone else used the Physics Workbook to help revise? Mine was blank because we didn't use it in school but I've just done 6 chapters in it and I find it quite effective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Here are some q's i got stuck on. help wud be appreciated. thanks:

1 State the condition for 2 light sources to be coherent?
    2 why are cds coloured?
    3 what is meant by self induction?
    4 give 2 practical uses of photoelectric device

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    Has anyone else used the Physics Workbook to help revise? Mine was blank because we didn't use it in school but I've just done 6 chapters in it and I find it quite effective.

Nope. I think papers are much better than w/book because they cover more relevant stuff. w/book covers everything but is too broad and not exam orientated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

whassupp2 wrote:
    Nope. I think papers are much better than w/book because they cover more relevant stuff. w/book covers everything but is too broad and not exam orientated.

Yes but now I know what a "transverse wave" is. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Mhm, OK, well, for two sources to be coherent, frequency and wavelength of waves emitted must be similar. They must be in phase or have a constant phase difference.

CDs are coloured because they have thousands of tiny dimples on their surfaces. These act as point sources. Interference occurs between the light emitted from these points, giving rise to the colours.

Self Induction is the induction of an emf in a coil with a core due to a changing magnetic field in the coil because of a changing electric current in the coil. By Lenz' Law its direction opposes the change creating it, reducing the forward current.

Photoelectric: Burglar alarm, counting items on a conveyor belt, film soundtrack.

nedward wrote:
    Mhm, OK, well, for two sources to be coherent, frequency and wavelength of waves emitted must be similar. They must be in phase or have a constant phase difference.

CDs are coloured because they have thousands of tiny dimples on their surfaces. These act as point sources. Interference occurs between the light emitted from these points, giving rise to the colours.

Self Induction is the induction of an emf in a coil with a core due to a changing magnetic field in the coil because of a changing electric current in the coil.

Photoelectric: Burglar alarm, counting items on a conveyor belt, film soundtrack.

like the whole denis thing goin on there. thenx 4 da help. c ya 2morro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Best of luck.

same to you

Enlil_Nick wrote:
    Yes but now I know what a "transverse wave" is. :P

Good for you. now try lookin at marking schemes. you'll learn alot more more quicklier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

whassupp2 wrote:
    Good for you. now try lookin at marking schemes. you'll learn alot more more quicklier.

hehe quicklier

Advertisement