Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glaze for ham question

• 17-06-2006 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Hi, well I've just finished part one of cooking my huge joint of ham, I boiled up it up a couple of hours with a handful of cloves in the water, and now I've left it to cool before putting it in the fridge.

Tomorrow I'll be putting the glaze on it and putting it in the oven then for about 30 mins to heat it up and make the glaze nice.

I'm not sure what glaze I will do yet, but I have a question about putting on the glaze.

Where do I put it?! This may seem like a silly question to people who do this kind of cooking all the time, but I am not very experienced with this kind of thing, but put my whole 100% into it when I do!

So do I smear the glaze all over the ham? Or just on the fat part that's under the skin (which I havent removed just yet)?

Oh then now I have another question is it ok to leave the skin on for tonight and remove it tomorrow or should I remove it now?

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

leave the skin on, remove it tomorrow. I would use a pastry brush to paint the ham with the glaze after diamond cutting the fat and then spiking it again with cloves, baste with a tablespoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Thanks Blub2k4, Ive already put int he fridge.

Tomorrow I'll take off the string and the skin. and score it with diamonds and put the cloves in.

One more thing though, is mustard powder better as a glaze before putting on the syrup? Or would normal old english mustard (in the yellow jar) do the job instead?

Its no bother as I'm going down the shops anyway tommorrow to get a few things, but whats the difference in using mustard powder or mustard itself?

Also, will half an hour inthe oven be enough?

Oh one more thing, if I boil my potatoes and they are done, can I put them in the oven under the ham while it bastes for half hour will my potatoes be roasties too after half an hour??

Many thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

rsta wrote:
    Thanks Blub2k4, Ive already put int he fridge.

Tomorrow I'll take off the string and the skin. and score it with diamonds and put the cloves in.

One more thing though, is mustard powder better as a glaze before putting on the syrup? Or would normal old english mustard (in the yellow jar) do the job instead?

Its no bother as I'm going down the shops anyway tommorrow to get a few things, but whats the difference in using mustard powder or mustard itself?

Also, will half an hour inthe oven be enough?

Oh one more thing, if I boil my potatoes and they are done, can I put them in the oven under the ham while it bastes for half hour will my potatoes be roasties too after half an hour??

Many thanks..

English mustard or english mustard powder are just the same thing, only difference is the jar has water added. I use the powder a lot myself, I'd just mix either powder or english mustard with honey or whatever syrup you are using. Half an hour with an oven preheated to 190 or so should be good. I would think the spuds would be grand in there for a half an hour (I dont think they'll be very brown or crispy) as long as you preboil them and have them chopped small enough. I find the best roast potatoes are done in goose fat myself, but the bacon fat should do the job too.

Cool Blub2k4, thanks.

Had a fab dinner. I cooked my carrots in a pan and then found a top for the pan with holes in it so I knew i could steam the brocolli that way, and it turned out fab. I was so surprised. so when they were cooked i put a knob of butter on them.

But, my dam little new potatoes cooked arseways as I didnt put enough water in so the ones on top took a bitl longer and the ones on the bottom burst open! yikes!

So anyway down to the ham, I was nearly gonna serve it cold as it was so nice looking. (plus i stole a few bits off it to taste and they were yum) but anyway i put it back in the oven after i put the cloves in it. But ok, I took off the skin, but i took way too much off. it was only after i cut the skinoff that i reaslised that i took almost all the fat off. i was goin to put the cloves in and scoring it in diamond shape but i left too little fat on! damn! next time i will know more. So the cloves wouldnt go in! ah well.

next week i will try somethin new... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i watched a tv program a while back that went to one of the oldest ham making establishments in the UK (a hammery? :D) and they have been using old english marmalade to glaze their ham for over 100 years and it's (according to the show) one of the most highly regarded hams you can get. forget the name of it now, but i fully intend to try it before xmas to see if it works.

they just smeared it over about 1cm thick on top and let it all ooze into the ham. looked gorgeous in any case.

• Advertisement

Oooh that sounds well tasty. Next time I cook a ham I might be tempted to try the marmalade..

Advertisement