Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting permanent marker out of a wooden floor?

Options
  • 17-06-2006 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Basically I've managed to write across my bedrom floor in permanent marker and wondering how I'd go about getting it out.

How? I hear you say.

Background:
    As we all know Derry beat/humiliated Tyrone a couple of weeks ago.
    Well I live on the Derry-Tyrone border so theres a big rivalry (good heart of course.......mostly.

Anyway...a couple of days ago a couple of my friends from the Tyrone side took down my Derry flag fro my house. To get one of them back I decided to stick a Derry flag up on his house late at night. So I wrote "Doire 1-08 Tír Eoghain 0-05" in big letters with permanent marker on an old Derry flag.

Of course in my stupidity I leaned the flag on the floor for this job, never thinking that the marker would stain through (don't know how I managed to think that but anyway).

So now I've got "Doire 1-08 Tír Eoghain 0-05" written on my bedroom floor. Could have worse things I suppose ;)

Anyways I've covered it with a mat for the time being.

Don't think the ma would be too pleased if she seen it.......especially since she's from Tyrone!!

Conclusion:
    HOw do I get permanent marker out of a wooden floor?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Toothpaste, apparently. Although you could contact the makers of the marker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Sounds like a belt-sander job - restain - revarnish job. Depends exactly on the floor.

Think your ma might notice this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

You might not believe this, but try brasso. I guarantee you it will take it off. Just dab a little bit on a cloth and rub the markings off.

By the way, Donegal ftw tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf788353.tip.html

that might be of some use...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to somewhere that mightn't have someone recommend petrol and a lighter to you....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

use mayonaise. Just cover the whole floor in mayo, leave it for 2 hours, then wash it off. Works like a charm.

[note: does not actually work]

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

smashey wrote:
    You might not believe this, but try brasso. I guarantee you it will take it off. Just dab a little bit on a cloth and rub the markings off.

By the way, Donegal ftw tomorrow.

:) Should be a good one..looking forward to it.

Anyway..... will it keep the varnish on the floor?

Also wtf is brasso I;ve always wondered?

Someone has also reccomended white spirit to me....possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Brasso. Does exactly what it says on the tin. Polishes brass. I used it in a previous job to remove permanent ink from lots of different surfaces. It is available in all supermarkets. Just dab the slightest drop onto the cloth and rub the ink off. If it removes the varnish, just get a small paintbrush and re-varnish the affected section.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

:)

Someone has also reccomended white spirit to me....possible?

Try nail polish remover, it worked on my friends face before. Don't ask how the marker got there. It works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

mrbungle wrote:
    Try nail polish remover, it worked on my friends face before. Don't ask how the marker got there. It works though.

You would want to be very quick with nail polish remover. I had anti-graffiti wipes that work a dream on permanent markers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Not sure if it will work on a wooden floor but only last week I picked up a wrong marker and used it on a white board, fairy liquid and water took it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

Basically I've managed to write across my bedrom floor in permanent marker and wondering how I'd go about getting it out.

How? I hear you say.

Background:
    As we all know Derry beat/humiliated Tyrone a couple of weeks ago.
    Well I live on the Derry-Tyrone border so theres a big rivalry (good heart of course.......mostly.

Anyway...a couple of days ago a couple of my friends from the Tyrone side took down my Derry flag fro my house. To get one of them back I decided to stick a Derry flag up on his house late at night. So I wrote "Doire 1-08 Tír Eoghain 0-05" in big letters with permanent marker on an old Derry flag.

Of course in my stupidity I leaned the flag on the floor for this job, never thinking that the marker would stain through (don't know how I managed to think that but anyway).

So now I've got "Doire 1-08 Tír Eoghain 0-05" written on my bedroom floor. Could have worse things I suppose ;)

Anyways I've covered it with a mat for the time being.

Don't think the ma would be too pleased if she seen it.......especially since she's from Tyrone!!

Conclusion:
    HOw do I get permanent marker out of a wooden floor?

good story let us know how you get on

Advertisement