Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frying potatoes, how do you fry yours?

• 18-06-2006 6:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'm mad for fried spuds with my meat but would like some new ideas for making my spuds tastier. At moment I just use sunflower oil in a already hot pan and add some black pepper for taste. Then perhaps garlic or jalapenos to top it all of.

Is frying in butter better? Low heat or high heat? Precooked or raw? Adding something during the frying?

Anything, basic or elaborate is much appriciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Altheus

Grate the spuds, like you might cheese.

Mix in some diced garlic, diced onion, some basil to the grated spuds.

Cook in a pot for about 20 minutes, then fry and add veg of your choice. Top with some butter, salt and pepper to taste.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i just slice up yesterday's boiled spuds and fry in some oil w/ black pepper and salt, lovely on the side of a fry up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

Tree wrote:
    i just slice up yesterday's boiled spuds and fry in some oil w/ black pepper and salt, lovely on the side of a fry up.
    Oh yes. I do that too.

I find though , that the nicest fried potatoes are the ones done in proper fat - not oil or butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

biko wrote:
    I'm mad for fried spuds with my meat but would like some new ideas for making my spuds tastier. At moment I just use sunflower oil in a already hot pan and add some black pepper for taste. Then perhaps garlic or jalapenos to top it all of.

Is frying in butter better? Low heat or high heat? Precooked or raw? Adding something during the frying?

Anything, basic or elaborate is much appriciated!

get yourself some ground cumin.............yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Take waxy, boiled potatoes that have gone cold. Slice thick. Fry in a pan, sprinkling with smoked hungarian paprika. /me drools. (If you can't get hungarian paprika, try picante pimenton spice - same deal.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

todays quick tea for the brother, mashed boiled spud with soem fried onion and grated spicy tesco cheese, mashed into a ball and fried in some butter til it went crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Depends on whether u have gas or electric hob as regards heat. if gas turn it up just so the flame is almost above the cooker top flat surface of it (hope that makes sense) if its electric then cook just a notch above low (ie hotter by a tad).

Put in some virgin olive oil and lash in ur slices of cooked potatoe and let them get nice and tasty lookin brown.

No need for any seasoning until u get them onto your plate. then make sure u have the seasoning of ur choice on hand.

I like some aromat (that stuff in a yellow tin) and a llitte dash of cayenne pepper. mmmm lovely stuff. and if im feeling a bit saucy then ya cant beat some proper brown sauce. :p yum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Try frying them with black mustard seeds & whole cumin seeds - a half teaspoon of each should do the trick.

Oh - and caramelised onions too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭C Fodder

For my perfect fried potatoes. Fry yesterdays waxy potatoes in bacon fat turning once and adding a little more bacon fat after turning. Do not use too much fat or fat from very salty rashers just enough for full flavour and a delicious crispiness. Serve with a small fry including a rasher, sausage, egg, pud (optional) and fresh field mushrooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

German style bratkartoffeln rock.

You have to use potatoes suitable for roasting or you'll end up with a pan of mush.
    peel and slice preboiled and cooled potatoes.
    pop them into a heated pan with some cubes of pancetta.
    Season while in the pan with a mix of salt,pepper and paprika.
    toss a bit and let the spuds brown a little then at the end add in a bit of chopped onion, just sweat it down a little until it's soft. If you put the onion in at the start it will go black, so just at the end.
    This is really nice served with a few fried eggs on top, and some fanned gherkins.
    The Germans tend to eat a lot of Gherkin with fried food to cut the grease and it works very well.
    These spuds also go well with schnitzel, butterflied pork steak, mixed grill, anything along those lines.
    A dollop of Lidl remoulade also goes very well with them.

<edit>Another variation on this is to add three eggs to the pan when the potatoes are finished also chop some pieces of gherkin straight into it, to make a "bauernfruhstueck" (farmers breakfast). Make it like an omelette or just scramble the egg through it, the key is not too long in any case as the heat in the potatoes already will cook it pretty fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Lyonnaise - steam the spuds, then slice them, and while they're hot cook them with thinly-sliced onions in a mix of olive oil and a little butter, then sprinkle on sea salt and grind on fresh black pepper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fantastic stuff. I'm getting hungry now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Oh man, these all sound so good. We should have a potluck potato night.

My fave is to dice waxy potatoes and panfry them from raw on a massive crueset pan in salt & olive oil until gently browned, then bung the pan into the oven with a load of rosemary & garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

Just done some fried potatoes last night, sliced them up quite thin so they cooked nice and crispy. I was all out of brown sauce so put some Chilli Soy on them... ah delicious!

Advertisement