Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Australia

• 18-06-2006 6:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

This one should have lots of goals with Brazil being, eh, slight favourites...

The last time Brazil beat Australlia both Ronaldo and Romario scored hatricks

but the last time they met the Aussies won 1-0 in the 2001 Confederations Cup.

Good news for Brazil is that Cahill, Moore, Aloisi and Grella are all on yellows and may be reserved for the final group game.

Brazil are looking to win a record 9th world cup game in a row and this match features two of the most experienced World Cup coaches in Hiddink and Parreira.

I expect the Brazillians to be really fired up for this one after Argentina set the standard the other day. A good chance for Ronaldo to shine and he's under a lot of pressure back home. I'm going for 4-0 to Brazil.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

im going 2-1 barzil, bu i am hoping and praying for a miracle.
    wasnt very iumpressed with the brazilians in the first match. was extremely impressed with the amount of running and work rate from the aussies in their first match.
    i think they will be quick to the ball carrier and hassle them all day long. see what happens.

anyway, heart says 2-1 australia, head says 2-1 brazil.

and goddamn it, ive arrange to play 18 holes this afternoon as well before i realised this match was on.:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Cancel then silly!

C'mon on the socceroos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I expect the Brazilians to win easily.
    I thought the Aussies were very poor n their opening game and were very lucky to come away with the three point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brazil should win at a canter, but after yesterdays games anything seems possible.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Apparently the Aussies may be resting a few players who are already on yellow cards; those players being Tim Cahill, John Aloisi, Vince Grella and Craig Moore.
    http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.aspx?hlid=395325&CPID=4&clid=575&lid=&title=Aussies+may+rest+key+players

Isn't that as good as saying, "Well, we're probably going to lose against Brazil, let's look forward to the Croatia game"?

• Advertisement

Dont blame them, the Croats are there for the taking. They seem to be in a poor mental state but have Deep Purple on thier side. Holy Smoke (on the water)!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Hopefully they're not worried about goal difference or anything. A Croatia-esque performance, just dropping back behind the ball and stifling the Brazilians, could spoil the game. If Ronaldo or Adriano are as lacklustre as last time, I hope Pareirra has the courage to bring them off early for Robinho or even Juninho. I'm really hoping for a good Brazilian performance today. Argentina vs Brazil in the final, with both on top form, oh yes....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads it will not be a 3-0 or 4-0 whitewash. The Aussies are a big physical side and will get into the brazilian players from the off. Brazil seem to be a team that dont like the physical battles, just like the Italians last night. The Aussies are not a bad side and Brazil's performance against Croatia didnt exactly light up the world cup. This will be a much closer game than some of you are expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Kingp35 wrote:
    Lads it will not be a 3-0 or 4-0 whitewash. The Aussies are a big physical side and will get into the brazilian players from the off. Brazil seem to be a team that dont like the physical battles, just like the Italians last night. The Aussies are not a bad side and Brazil's performance against Croatia didnt exactly light up the world cup. This will be a much closer game than some of you are expecting.

I'm afraid I also see this as being a 3 or 4-0 victory for the Brazilians. They will have been stung by criticism they received after their last match and will come out all guns blazing to remind everybody just how good they really are. They will also want to respond to Argentinas demolition job on Friday.

This is a tough enough task for a full strength Australia. Playing without 4 of their 1st choice players makes the task nigh on impossible. Pigheads going for 3-0 Brazil with Ronaldo open his world cup account to score a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Aussies are one my most hated teams at this world cup so I hope Brazil destroy them. :) Hopefully Ronaldinho gets a goal to get a bit of confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Kingp35 wrote:

agreed on this. Brazil to win, but not by much despite the god-like praise people are giving them here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm going for a 5-0 whitewash, with Ronaldo getting 2, and Kaka MOM.

Brazil will take the physical battle with no problems. In defense they are very strong. In attack, Ronaldo and Adriano are very very strong, and Ronaldinho and Kaka are some of the strongest AMC's there are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

I dont agree that Brazil are very strong in defence as PHB has said,i think for a big side they are notably weak and will be caught out against decent attacking sides.We wont see it today,but i think we will later in the tournament.

Today though,I think Brazil will win by 3 goals.Brazil will want to show how good they are after a poor performance in the last match and Australia will rest some players on yellow cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If the Aussies start with Harry Kewell then the Brazilians already have a one man advantage.:D

Brazil to win by 3 with Australia having a player sent off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kingp35 wrote:

Croatia are a hard as nails side, Brazil wont have another game as hard as that.

Australia dont need to win can actually afford to lose, so the players will be told to go enjoy it expect 20 mins of Aussie being great then Brazil to tear them apart.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Anam wrote:
    I dont agree that Brazil are very strong in defence as PHB has said,i think for a big side they are notably weak and will be caught out against decent attacking sides.We wont see it today,but i think we will later in the tournament.

People have been saying that for years. France in 98 are the only ones to do it though.

from bbc

Brazil (probable): Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Juan, Roberto Carlos, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Adriano.

Australia (probable): Schwarzer, Emerton, Neill, Popovic, Chipperfield, Skoko, Culina, Wilkshire, Bresciano, Kewell, Viduka.

However Hiddink is playing 3 of the 4 yellow carders - Tim Cahill, John Aloisi, Vince Grella and Craig Moore.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Hmmmm.

On ITV, they have Ruud Gullit, Terry Venables..... and Shane Warne....

Does Ruud know who Shane Warne is? :D:D

Anam wrote:

Cafu and Roberto Carlos as full backs? Alright, best known as attackers but hardly 'weak' defensively. Lucio and Juan in the centre? Far from weak. With Emerson and Ze Roberto in front of them, I don't understand the fallacy of Brazil's weak defense. It's always their 'weakness', but in 2002 they conceded 2 goals in 7 matches, for example. Plus Dida is a pretty decent keeper.

I, too, don't expect Brazil to concede today.

Cafu and Roberto Carlos as full backs? Alright, best known as attackers but hardly 'weak' defensively. Lucio and Juan in the centre? Far from weak. With Emerson and Ze Roberto in front of them, I don't understand the fallacy of Brazil's weak defense. It's always their 'weakness', but in 2002 they conceded 2 goals in 7 matches, for example. Plus Dida is a pretty decent keeper.

Cafu and Carlos have a habit of getting caught too far up the pitch, and they aren't physically what they once were, but the main issue is how openly Brazil play - they allow other teams an awful lot of space when they lose the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

I'm talking about their ability to defend as a unit.Cafu and Carlos often get caught out high up on the pitch,an attack with pace such as Holland or France etc are capable of exploiting this.

You can't score if you don't have the ball. That's how Brazil defend

PHB wrote:
    You can't score if you don't have the ball. That's how Brazil defend
    They spent half the game against Croatia without the ball, odd tactic if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

DMC wrote:
    and Shane Warne....

They probably needed an expert on big fat lumps seeing as Ronaldo is somehow playing again now.

Australia holding their own, certainly not overwhelmed by Brazil.

I think Ronaldo is doing a hell of a lot better than Adriano, yet everybody seems to be ignoring Adriano, it's just stupid.

Kaka is Brazil's best player again, Ronaldinho is worse than Ronaldo in this game. It's gona be individual magic again from Brazil required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

My €20 bet at 14/1 of Australia winning their group outright over Brazil doesn't seem so crazy now..

... oh wait.. yes it does! :D

But it does conflict with my bet of Ronaldinho being the top-scorer in the tournament.. what was i thinking?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

0-0 at half time, hardly the most thrilling of matches. Hopefully Parreira will shake things up by bringing on Juninho. I can't wait to see him in a World Cup.

I can't see Australia scoring today tbh.
    basquille wrote:
    My €20 bet at 14/1 of Australia winning their group outright over Brazil doesn't seem so crazy now..

... oh wait.. yes it does! :D

But it does conflict with my bet of Ronaldinho being the top-scorer in the tournament.. what was i thinking?! :eek:
    Ronaldinho? Pfft. Should have gone with Kaka. Good old Milan stock. :D

I honastly think Parreira should take off Ronaldinho and bring on Juninho.

• Advertisement

Unless the Aussies suddenly forget how to play football during half time, it's hard to see this being the white-wash that many predicted.

Robinho on for Adriano at half time/early in second half. Then Juninho on for Ronaldinho if his performance continues, at some point. Ronaldo is hardly playing well though, so I wouldn't mind seeing what Fred can do. I wonder will Brazil improve in the knockout stages when other teams have to come out and win the game? If not, I'm very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ronaldinho? Pfft. Should have gone with Kaka. Good old Milan stock. :D
    Odds on Kaka were kaka though! Tee hee.. i slay me! :D

This is terrible, last night I was cheering the Sceptics and now I want the bloody Aussies to win. :eek: Unfortunate moment when the left winger stopped playing as he heard a whistle, a decent cross and Viduka would have been in.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The1337_Stephen

Adriano scores 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

good finish nice build up play for the goal

• Advertisement

1-0 Adriano...good movement from Ronaldo to assist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I'd love to see Ronaldo score now and get this monkey off his back

Break for the Aussies...Should have a got a shot off, good tackle by Ze Roberto

HAHAHAHHAH Kewell missed the chance of the world cup!

Cahill taken off shows that Hiddink has accepted defeat in this game.

Awful miss just awful. I think he hiddink should sub him off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

OMG Kewell USELESS!!! Liverpool should sell him quickly while people will pay money for him!

If Brazil win today, they'll have won nine World Cup games in a row, which I've heard is a World Cup record. Can anyone verify this?
    basquille wrote:
    Odds on Kaka were kaka though! Tee hee.. i slay me! :D
    *drumroll*

*tumbleweed bounces past*

:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cant belive i stuck money on the fat lad to be world cup top scorer.

Cant belive i stuck money on the fat lad to be world cup top scorer.

Hate that.

Anyone else incredible annoyed by the amount of ****e the commentators keep saying about Ronaldo? Non-stop bull****, I'll tell ya, what the **** has Adriano done to keep him on the pitch today?

People who played ****e today have been Cafu, Emerson, Ronaldinho, Carlos
    They just aren't given the ball to Ronaldo whatsoever, and the only way the strikers could score was by Ronaldo dropping off, and setting up the other striker.

I still have money on Ronaldo being top scorer, and I still expect to be paid off, once Brazil get their ****ing act together and give him the service.

----

This is why I ****ing hate RTE. If Ronaldo, either of them actually, did what Carlos just did, there would be a fifteen minute segment on how **** they are, but it wasn't, so they just ignore it. It's just bull****.

PHB wrote:
    Anyone else incredible annoyed by the amount of ****e the commentators keep saying about Ronaldo? Non-stop bull****, I'll tell ya, what the **** has Adriano done to keep him on the pitch today?

People who played ****e today have been Cafu, Emerson, Ronaldinho, Carlos
    They just aren't given the ball to Ronaldo whatsoever, and the only way the strikers could score was by Ronaldo dropping off, and setting up the other striker.

I still have money on Ronaldo being top scorer, and I still expect to be paid off, once Brazil get their ****ing act together and give him the service.
    It sounds as bad as the commentary that I'm listening to here. They are using the audio feed from the FIFA international commentary. The commentator didn't stop talking about how sad it was to see Ronaldo performing so "poorly", as well as talking about the "end of Ronaldo". FFS, he doesn't have a terminal disease!

Agreed that he didn't get enough service from his team mates. Having two Aussie defenders stuck to him certainly didn't help. He did very well to set up the goal though.

Why do they keep letting Roberto Carlos take free kicks?

Not to mention creating the only other decent chance with a clever little backflick to Kaka early on

The only players that have earnt their position in the next game are:

Lucio
    Ze Roberto
    Kaka
    Ronaldo

The rest should be dropped just to teach them a damm lesson and try and get them to preform as they should

Why do they keep letting Roberto Carlos take free kicks?
    God only knows. Have any commentators used the phrase "a Roberto carlos special" before one of his frees yet?

Just before his latest 'attempt", I saw the crowd behind the goal rise en masse to get a better view. I wondered whether they were preparing to catch the ball once it finished its inevitable journey into the stand.

Wooohooo, go Fred, he damm well deserves that! A great player who isn't given enough recognition

• Advertisement
Advertisement