Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Australia

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Why do they keep letting Roberto Carlos take free kicks?

I've pepsi no nike idea pringles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gah! fvck it. The jammiest goal.

Does Darragh Malony cum every time Brazil look like scoring?

Mike.

PHB Ronaldo has been grade A cack, as for the Kewell knockers once he was on the Aussies looked much better. The early chance was too early for him, proberly not helped by ther sight of Dida lunging towards him!

Still this has been the Australians "free" game, they'll beat Croatia I think.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote:
    HAHAHAHHAH Kewell missed the chance of the world cup!

No that sadly goes to a Japanese player earlier.

Brazil again dont perform and win against poor opposition, the only time they camr to life was when they scored and Aussies had to go at them. Still sticking with Brazil to win it. Just hope they entertain but tbh the only way thats going to happen is if a team plays their own game vs them rather than the flat back 8 Cro and Aus played.

kdjac

I think any of Ghana, Italy or Czech (on form) could knock out this Brazilian side in the last16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

2 of the worst misses of the world cup have been today. Kewell and the japan lad today. Not sure which was worse.

Great to here dunphy spout his ****e. torres is a strong frontman? eh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not sure what it was like on other channels, but ITV were incredibly pro-Australian.
    Ronaldo still didn't look at his best but a marked improvement on his last game, nice assist and all. Robinho looked great when he came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

PHB Ronaldo has been grade A cack,

Was Adriano or Ronaldinho any better?

RTE or rather Moloney was incredibly pro Brazil.

PHB you are the only who keeps talking up Ronaldo and how he'll score the most goals.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Well far from an easy win despite how confidently many predicted here.....

Brazil were regularly exposed by Australia and no one could have argued if they had secured a draw. Better opposition well exploit this.

Get over it guys, Brazil ain't gonna walk this one.

Now Argentina on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

2-0 completely flatters Brazil.They were awful really,defence was fairly suspect and the Aussies really should have punished them but they didnt have the cutting edge to deliver in the final third.As I have said before,a top side would punish Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I'd love to see Robinho and Fred start in the next match. And, speaking of overweight Brazilians, Emerson is no Peter Crouch. Half that team looked like they couldn't be arsed.

Pigman II wrote:
    I think any of Ghana, Italy or Czech (on form) could knock out this Brazilian side in the last16.

If ghana could take there chances they would be a excellent bet to get to the semi's. The only problem is they need 5 or 6 chances to score. Against top side they wont get that many.

Very similiar to ivory coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Did anyone see this incident after the match? Zagallo walks over to Chipperfield and offers him the jersey of Roberto Carlos. Chipperfield takes it, has a look and then hands it back to a shocked Zagallo. :confused:

If ghana could take there chances they would be a excellent bet to get to the semi's. The only problem is they need 5 or 6 chances to score. Against top side they wont get that many.

Thing is they probably will get at least 5 or 6 chances against a Brazil team playing like that.

• Advertisement

Did anyone see this incident after the match? Zagallo walks over to Chipperfield and offers him the jersey of Roberto Carlos. Chipperfield takes it, has a look and then hands it back to a shocked Zagallo. :confused:

Didn't see the incident and I can't speak for him but if it was me out there I'd be of the opinion "Roberto Carlos can give me Roberto Carlos's shirt."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Didnt see that,fairly shocking!

Ghana are a really hard working side with lots of energy,they dont have amazing finishing much like Ivory Coast,but i wouldnt put it past them to knock out Brazil who seem to be lazy when the dont have the ball.

Pigman II wrote:
    Thing is they probably will get at least 5 or 6 chances against a Brazil team playing like that.

And to do that they will ahve to play to win not to "not get hammered" which will leave a really big pitch opening up behind them.

Brazil just won their group playing with 10 men and vs teams who set out not to lose and both did. Thats a fact and with an unfit Ronaldo and havent conceded with their aging team (dunphy said that )and dodgy defence.

When it comes to knockout Brazil will beat any team who tries to play their own game rather than not lose with the flat back 8. Cro and Aus both tried it and bot lost, next week japan have to beat Brazil and cant afford to lose or draw. I expect brazil to hammer them and face Italy in the next round.

Then its time for Brazil to give their opponents some respect and actually play.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Eamon Dunphy on Brazil after watching Italy beat Equador in their opening group in 2002:

"Brazil are a car crash waiting to happen. A real team like Italy will have no problems against them."

Brazil go on to win the World Cup, Italy go out in the second round against South Korea.

Eamon Dunphy on Brazil after beating Australia today:

"Brazil won't trouble any of the top sides. Spain would walk all over them etc etc."

Brazil and Spain on course to meet in the quarter finals...

mike65 wrote:
    PHB you are the only who keeps talking up Ronaldo and how he'll score the most goals.

So to ask again, was Adriano or Ronaldinho any better?

• Advertisement

England just won their group playing with 10 men and vs teams who set out not to lose and both did. Thats a fact and with an unfit Rooney and havent conceded with their aging team (dunphy said that )and dodgy defence.
    :D
    So to ask again, was Adriano or Ronaldinho any better?

No but they ain't being hyped by you! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

mike65 wrote:
    PHB Ronaldo has been grade A cack, as for the Kewell knockers once he was on the Aussies looked much better. The early chance was too early for him, proberly not helped by ther sight of Dida lunging towards him!

Still this has been the Australians "free" game, they'll beat Croatia I think.

Mike.

Kewell is an absolute joke.Not only has he lost form completely,he doesnt even bother to put the effort in.

How you can defend him is mind boggling:eek:

Yeh, but they seem to avoid the criticism of everybody else for no particular reason, why isn't anyone baying for Adriano's blood, hasn't preformed at all for Brazil, and has had a bad season with Inter.

KdjaC wrote:
    And to do that they will ahve to play to win not to "not get hammered" which will leave a really big pitch opening up behind them.

Brazil just won their group playing with 10 men and vs teams who set out not to lose and both did. Thats a fact and with an unfit Ronaldo and havent conceded with their aging team (dunphy said that )and dodgy defence.

When it comes to knockout Brazil will beat any team who tries to play their own game rather than not lose with the flat back 8. Cro and Aus both tried it and bot lost, next week japan have to beat Brazil and cant afford to lose or draw. I expect brazil to hammer them and face Italy in the next round.

All this is so but I reckon Ghana would prefer that sort of knockout game you describe to the one they had to play against Italy.

Don't get me wrong, no doubt even after those two games Brazil would still be favourites against someone like Ghana but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised at an upset if that pairing comes to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

PHB wrote:
    Anyone else incredible annoyed by the amount of ****e the commentators keep saying about Ronaldo? Non-stop bull****, I'll tell ya, what the **** has Adriano done to keep him on the pitch today?

People who played ****e today have been Cafu, Emerson, Ronaldinho, Carlos
    They just aren't given the ball to Ronaldo whatsoever, and the only way the strikers could score was by Ronaldo dropping off, and setting up the other striker.

I still have money on Ronaldo being top scorer, and I still expect to be paid off, once Brazil get their ****ing act together and give him the service.

----

This is why I ****ing hate RTE. If Ronaldo, either of them actually, did what Carlos just did, there would be a fifteen minute segment on how **** they are, but it wasn't, so they just ignore it. It's just bull****.

Like most players and especially Brazillians, Ronaldo tends to play a lot better when he's happy, and he doesn't look at all happy. The amount of abuse he has to put up with anytime he doesn't score is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

adox wrote:
    Kewell is an absolute joke.Not only has he lost form completely,he doesnt even bother to put the effort in.

How you can defend him is mind boggling:eek:

No need to parrot John Giles. Everyone loves to alter facts to suit their opinions. Giles was commenting there on Kewell not getting back to defend and not putting in th effort. With minutes left in the game is there any chance his manager had instructed him to stay forward?? As I say people will adjust things to suit their opinion.

kinaldo wrote:
    Like most players and especially Brazillians, Ronaldo tends to play a lot better when he's happy, and he doesn't look at all happy. The amount of abuse he has to put up with anytime he doesn't score is ridiculous.

They look a better team when Robinho is on the pitch. As the japan game is a non runner i think he will start Ronaldo again in the hope of getting an "inoff" to get him happy.

kdjac

How you can defend him is mind boggling

Adox were you watching the game?

Kewell put in a great cross not met, he lobbed the keeper from 35 yards just going over, he would have been on the end of a free kick which Viduka just grazed taking away from Kewells head. Was stopped shooting on goal twice by a good last gasp tackle. There were a few other moments too.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

musician wrote:
    No need to parrot John Giles. Everyone loves to alter facts to suit their opinions. Giles was commenting there on Kewell not getting back to defend and not putting in th effort. With minutes left in the game is there any chance his manager had instructed him to stay forward?? As I say people will adjust things to suit their opinion.

I thought Harriet was terrible at times, but at other times he was their most dangerous player. He remains an annoying enigma to all LFC fans.

Maybe he had peachy-bum syndrom from sitting on the bench for so long.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I backed Argentina for the world cup and Ronaldo to be top goal scorer. I've watched the two games Brazil have played and I’ve being disappointed in both games. I can't see them winning the world cup on those performances. I thought Argentina like everyone else were brilliant against the Serbs and can see either them or Spain going all the way. I can see no shape to the Brazil midfield at all and honestly don’t think playing Ronaldo and Adriano up front together will work. I would like to see them play juninho in the middle and push ronaldinho further up front or try Gilberto and Juninho instead of Ze Roberto and Emerson in the middle. I remember the 2002 world cup and Ronaldo scored the goals to win Brazil the world cup that year. I think all press and commentators are being slightly UN fair with there criticism of him, but after today everyone can see he is over weight and doest look himself which is quite sad to see.

I'm looking forward to seeing Spain play 2moro night, I just hope they now live up there expectations and go all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

musician wrote:

I`m talking about him since he joined Liverpool,not just tonights game.
    I havent a clue what you are on about with "alter facts to suit their opinions".
    Its all about opinions mostly,not facts.I was a huge fan of Kewell in his Leeds days.To say he has declined as a player would be the understatement of the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

adox wrote:
    I havent a clue what you are on about with "alter facts to suit their opinions". Its all about opinions mostly,not facts.I was a huge fan of Kewell in his Leeds days.To say he has declined as a player would be the understatement of the year.

Giles cited a moment in the game where Kewell didn't come back and defend. I'm saying it's easy to ignore the fact that it's near the end of the game when this happens and he could easily be under instructions to stay up. I thought we were discussing Kewell's performance in the World Cup and in particular in the game of this thread's title where he did make a difference imo.
    I agree with what you say about his form for Liverpool but you can't help hoping these kind of players will raise their game in WC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

What dose everyone think of Richardino, I dont alot about him but is seen 4 or 5 times in the Brazilan league last seen & he looked pretty impressive to say the least, i know he's getting on abit but so is Emerson & Ze Robero, What about Juninho & Richardinho in the middfield & Robinho & Ardiano make a much better pairing than Ronaldo & Adriano

KdjaC wrote:
    They look a better team when Robinho is on the pitch. As the japan game is a non runner i think he will start Ronaldo again in the hope of getting an "inoff" to get him happy.

kdjac

Its easier for Robinho to look better. He came on in both of his games in the last 20 odd minutes when brazil where already winning and the other team had to attack. He was given alot more space.

I am sure if Ronaldo came on with 20 minutes to go and the other team left that much space at the back he would look alot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ronaldo deserves a lot of credit for the 1st goal. He held the ball well and sucked in 3 players who thought he was going to try go by them and score, then rolled it to adriano to give him a 1 v 1 for a shot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Brazil looked poor again and didnt hammer the Aussies just like I said. People should realise that Brazil are not this dream team that can hammer every team 3-0. With better finishing and more guile up front the Aussies could have won the game. Ronaldo is a pale shadow of himself and just doesnt look up for it. Adriano is even worse. Kaka is the only one of Brazils players thats living up to his reputation. Based on their first two matches, I cant see Brazil winning the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Kingp35 wrote:
    Based on their first two matches, I cant see Brazil winning the trophy.
    Neither can I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Brazil not firing on all cylinders for sure, but it's very rare for any team to dominate a tournament, destroying all challengers from the first round through to the final. Argentina have looked really good, but they'll have to keep reproducing form against much tougher opponents in more important games. Maybe they can, but I certainly wouldn't write off Brazil; they still look good going forward and have a couple more gears in reserve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Another performance from Brazil which is below the expectations of their fans. But they did enough to win it. Its obvious to one and all that Ronaldo is not the player he once was. He reminds me of a player who is retired and playing in an all-star game for charity. He has flashes of the brilliance he once had. However, he is no 40 year old and is a mere 29 year old. I dont know if it is medical or mental. He clearly is not match fit!

This Brazil team is nowhere like the 1970 team, nor the 1982 team. However, with Robinho on and perhaps Juninho and some better organisation, this team will be difficult to defend against and hard to beat. Ronaldo is being carried as is Adriano to some extent, yet still the two of them conjured a goal yesterday facing 4 defenders whilst on the edge of the box. But this was Australia and not the best defenders in the world it has to be said.

I think those people that thought that Brazil would walk it, well, that bubble has well and truly burst. Tow displays like they had is more than a mere blip or 1st match "nerves". But at the same time, they are not a poor team and have more capability in their squad than most, which has yet to be displayed. I would not write them off yet and I think they would give most teams a run for their money, including Spain!
    musician wrote:
    Giles cited a moment in the game where Kewell didn't come back and defend. I'm saying it's easy to ignore the fact that it's near the end of the game when this happens and he could easily be under instructions to stay up.

Johnny is in particular 'bitching' mode in this WC. True, Brazil arent performing to the level that some media hyped them to be, but football isnt always measured in terms of being brilliant or being dreadful. Its not an ON or OFF binary thing, its a whole rainbow in between.

In terms of that observation about Kewell, I agree with you magician. It was clear tactically what was happening on the pitch when Australia were chasing the game. Australia were pushing for an equaliser and were "risking it", playing the 'it will go to either 1-1 or 2-0' card. The do or die. Better to lose 2-0 trying to get to 1-1 than just defend and lose 1-0. Australia were pushing a lot of men forward, Kewell being one of them, and his role at the point was to be up front to try and get Brazil in a 4 v 4 situation at their end and to be ready for the Australian clearence. If he was back at left back, true, he may have helped prevent his goal, but at that point of the game it wasnt his job.

Let us not forget that none of Giles, nor Brady (nor Dunphy!) were very succesful at management. Dunphy is like any bar based pundit, and a loud mouthed one at that. Giles seems to be following down the line this year of 'giving out'. Perhaps a case of "grumpy old men". I didnt see Strachan's analysis of the game but I would wager that it was more astute.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

dSTAR wrote:
    Neither can I.

Ditto, they didn't deserve the win last night at all.

To everybody who wants to drop Ronaldo, what has Adriano done to warrent his inclusion ahead of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Ditto, they didn't deserve the win last night at all.

Why not? They scored two lovely goals. Harry Kewell missed an open goal. At the risk of descending into Hamiltonian cliche it's all about taking your chances; if Australia had taken some of theirs maybe they'd have got what they 'deserved'.

Ronaldo created it, by drawing in three defenders, Adriano had an easy finish, one which Ronaldo woulda put away easily if he had been given a position like that.
    If it is soley on that goal alone, surely Ronaldo deserved it ahead of him.

Adriano should be dropped, Fred brought in. Drop Ronaldinho, bring in Juninho.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Adriano is too one-footed. Would rather have Ronaldinho playing up alongside Ronaldo with Juninho playing behind them (and then Brazil would win the WC by scoring free kicks every game :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

SofaKing wrote:
    with Juninho playing behind them (and then Brazil would win the WC by scoring free kicks every game :))

Exactly, dosent matter where they get a free-kick if its 25 yards or 75 yards out he'll score it anyway & thats problem solved :)

Advertisement