Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne line up major investors

• 18-06-2006 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Originally posted on Shelsweb ( www.shelbournefc.ie ).
    17/06/2006 - Byrne lines up major investors

Shelbourne chief executive Ollie Byrne has given his firmest indication yet that significant investment for the club is only around the corner, making recent financial troubles a thing of the past.

Speaking from the Lithuanian capital, Vilnius, ahead of the Shelbourne Intertoto Cup tie with FK Vetra tomorrow, Byrne would not identify the potential investors but said negotiations were advanced.

"Negotiations with two individuals are at an advanced stage," he said. "I am confident that within the next two to three weeks Shelbourne Football Club will be able to announce an investment of €10 million to €15 million in the club.

"This will happen over a number of years and it is being done with the intention of bringing Shelbourne to the next level and a place in the Champions League group stages."

Since Shelbourne settled a tax bill of €300,000 in April, Byrne has made no secret of his intention to seek fresh investment.

Controversial lawyer Giovanni de Stefano was due to hold talks with the 62-year-old soon after the tax settlement about a possible partnership, but any deal fell through when the Italian leaked details to the media.

Another name touted was that of businessman Ozzie Kilkenny, but Byrne yesterday ruled out his involvement.

He also said Shelbourne will soon announce their intention to move from Tolka Park.

"Within the next four to six weeks Shelbourne Football Club will announce details of a relocation from Tolka Park in adherence with the guidelines set out by the FAI and Department of Sport," said Byrne.

That would suggest Shels will be groundsharing and, as Byrne has ruled out sharing with Bohemians in Castleknock, Tallaght could be the preferred option.

But before all that, Shels have a European tie to worry about. Manager Pat Fenlon has already had to change training pitches because of the state of their original pitch and the team will train at the Vetra Stadium tonight.

Dave Rodgers is suspended for tomorrow's game (4pm Irish time). Jamie Harris and Jim Crawford have travelled to Vilnius but are not expected to be involved.

© The Irish Times

Followed by a quote from Fintan Cassidy...
    Just spoke Ollie - he confirmed the story, but says they got it wrong about Tallaght and the ground-sharing bit.

Very intersting! So, in 2-3 weeks we should know if we're getting new investment - and who from. And the figures of €10-15 million are very pretty indeed! ;) Even €10 million over 5 years (at €2million p/a) would be immense! :D

Also news on a new home, but denial of groundsharing with Rovers. The Bohs thing has long since been called off. Does that pave the way for development of a new stadium? Or moving into Inchicore with the Stains? :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Anto MC posted that on the end of the thread about Shels not paying the players.

Smacks of desperation to me, simple smokescreen to detract from the clubs financial difficulties and try keep the players onside till after the transfer window.

Who in their right mind would sell their ground with no where to go and no investment coming in and spend most of the cash they got from the sale of the ground. At least when Kilcoyne shafted Rovers he got well paid out of it.

Where is this Niall Quinn school of Smart Investment??? Do they send out diplomas on collection of 8 tokens?

"Within the next four to six weeks Shelbourne Football Club will announce details of a relocation from Tolka Park in adherence with the guidelines set out by the FAI and Department of Sport," said Byrne.

Where oh where will Shels go, Bohs dont need you, Rovers dont need you, Pats do need you but not to move in them to move in with Rovers. LOL oh terrible going from Tolka the bestest place int he world to Richmond....we bags the 2 storey toilet!!!! You can have the other for supporter club meetings and generally call it an End.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Any developments on this? I think Champions League football is very much attainable with such an investment but is Pat Fenlon and Ollie Byrne the right men to give this sort of money to? I think not, a decent manager with experience and proven record is needed and a Chairman whos not pub man is needed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

finnpark wrote:
    I think not, a decent manager with experience and proven record is needed and a Chairman whos not pub man is needed. :)

That "pub man" got us to within 30 mins of the C.L. Group stages thank you very much, and that campaign was notable for some very shrewd tactics.

PS I'm surprised there's no thread on Shels Inter-toto campaign at the mo..? I know it's not exactly a prestigous competition but shels go into this saturday's home leg v Vetra with a 1-0 lead and a tasty away goal. (Vetra beat Hibs 2-1 last year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Decided not to bother putting up one myself, it'd either fill up with "who cares" or get lost (understandably I guess) under threads about the World Cup.

I think it was 2004 Vetra knocked Hibernian (of Scotland, not Malta! ;):() out of European competition, looks like we'll do the same to Vetra now, please God. Fingers crossed, with some luck in Denmark we'll get to do one over Hibernian ourselves this year! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

finnpark wrote:
    Any developments on this? I think Champions League football is very much attainable with such an investment but is Pat Fenlon and Ollie Byrne the right men to give this sort of money to? I think not, a decent manager with experience and proven record is needed and a Chairman whos not pub man is needed. :)
    I'd imagine it'll be another week or so before anything is heard.

On a different financial note, the Shelbourne Supporters Development Group seems to have people signing up well. Not sure if you know the details, but its a fantastic move made by some fans who deserve immense credit for their work and effort! What money problems?! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement