Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Compromised

Options
  • 18-06-2006 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am sure I am not the only one that this has happened to. Basically I found that my credit card has been used to purchase goods that I have been not aware of.

Obviously my card is now cancelled and the guards have been notified. As I have an account I can access on the internet and caught fairly quickly but not soon enough where a couple of grand was lifted.

Most of the transactions were done over the phone including cd orders and flights etc.

I have contacted the companies involved to see if the orders can be cancelled. I have received various responses from the companies.

From one of our our own irish Airlines you get no information or no help whats so ever. From a foreign airline I have received the names of the passengers the flight details, rotuer chosen etc.

Where orders were placed for a major chain store in the uk I have to write to the customer services departments which will take a week for them to receive from Ireland due to smail mail. (In the mean time the order could be stopped)

One company has not returned my call even though I was assured that I would return a call.

One company did manage to stop an order before was posted and gave a Dublin area code

I know due to data protection that I cannot and should not get any information from these companies.

Any info I did receive have been forwarded on to the cc company and the guards

My main point is that companies should be taking these kind of calls more seriously and If I the cc holder rings up all necessary means should be put in place to put the orders etc on hold/cancelled until the cc companies and the guards do their jobs. After All it is fragulent.

I am not going to suffer as the cc company will refund the cost but it is the attitude of the various companies that stinks and they should have to do more in this situation. Imagine asking me to send a letter to the uk when they could have stopped the order going out thus saving them money.

Have others experienced this as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the CC, hope you get it sorted out. A great deal of companies have fraud teams dedicated to help people like yourself. The number of companies setting up fraud teams in the future will probably increase unfortunately as its a day-to-day thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 plainbiscuits

Thanks for the reply. In fairness my cc company and the guards have been very good. It is just the lack of cooperation from the companies involved I think is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Don't worry about it, provided you're pin wasn't compromised, it's the banks problem not yours. Just point out all the fraudulent transactions on your statement and let their fraud department handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Yes Jacobs - I don't understand why you are going round ringing up the various companies? It's the CC company's problem. After all why do you think we pay such high rates for credit cards? As Gabhain7 pointed out- just let them know what is not valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... no need to do all that chasing around, let the credit card company do that.

I had a few grand taken off my card illegally last year... it was bit of a hassle, and it took almost 3 months for the credit card company to finally strike the transactions off my card as they had to do an investigation. Then I had to argue with them about them charging me interest on the fraudulant charges... but they gave in very quickly, but watch out for that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Yes Jacobs - I don't understand why you are going round ringing up the various companies? It's the CC company's problem. After all why do you think we pay such high rates for credit cards? As Gabhain7 pointed out- just let them know what is not valid.
    In my experience they don't want to know what's invalid when this involves fraud by a merchant.

Also, I've found that it's a lottery when reporting anomalies on your credit card - you may get someone helpful and is genuinely sympathetic. Likewise you can get some tosser who can't even find the transactions you are talking about.

When you have no satisfaction over the phone (on first attempt) just write a letter explaining the situation; detailing time of call and name of operator (not that this will improve anything)

Advertisement