Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fscking Magpies!

• 18-06-2006 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I am about ready to go out and buy a gun to get rid of these little sh*ts.
    Every single morning they wake me between 5-6am with their annoying noise right outside my window.

Does anyone know how to discourage magpies from coming into your garden? They really are driving me mad!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hehehe, I have them here too and I think it isn't that easy to get rid of them as they are very intelligent birds ;). Get some ear plugs :D.

Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Find or "get" a dead one and hang it outside your window.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Learn to live with it! - We have a huge amount of birds including my own parrots etc & they start at 4am - We are well used to the noise by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

I HATE Magpies.:mad: Usually there is a lovely sound of the dawn chorous in the mornings but this morning 2 Magpies came along with their pneumanic drill sounds and frightened all the little songbirds away.

The sound of a Magpie is like a sub machine gun ....rat tat tat tat tat .rat tat tat tat tat .rat tat tat tat tat .rat tat tat tat tat

There is actually an overpopulation of magpies in Dublin and I think alot of them should be culled.

What right do we have to say that?? Tis like me saying theres an overpopulation of humans in Dublin - should we start to cull the human race??

• Advertisement

They are b*****ds though killing baby birds etc.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

junkyard wrote:
    So do squirrels, at least the eggs and everyone finds them cute n cuddly ;).

Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Friends of mine used to have this problem - though it may have been a different type of bird. They got one of those super-soaker water pistols, which was very satisfying to use, though I'm not sure how effective it was in the long term.

Dermot

EGAR wrote:
    So do squirrels, at least the eggs and everyone finds them cute n cuddly ;).

Sarah
    Squirrels aren't that cute n cuddly, try freeing one from a bird feeder, the little f***er would take the hand off you.:)

Squirrels are simply rats with image consultants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Get a few parrotts and in a few days you wont notice the difference :) Seriously though some sort of a large decoy might work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Not a fan of the rat a tat tat. If you can put up with one of them try a larsen trap, although a bleein`heart may annoy the hell out of you instead.

There are less song birds about, probaly because of wheely bins so an easy way of food from homes have been removed.

As well as magpies (we have a lovely family in the garden) We have blue tits, wagtails, other members from the tit family, starlings, sparrows, robins, crows etc etc the sounds they all make are lovely (they sound like nature!) The wild birds eat a lot of the bird seed that my birds dont eat etc. I have never know the magpies to steal young from the nests in our garden - they are far too well fed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Whats up with all the magpies these days anyways, I counted 22 of them in the field in front of my house the other day!
    There used to be only a few about but the last year their population has escalated, why I ask!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

Bond-007 wrote:
    Squirrels are simply rats with image consultants.

Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

Sabre_wolf wrote:
    Cat shaped plastic cut out? Or a larger bird of prey model type thing?
    Won't work if you use a cat.

Our cat was bullied and nearly killed by the magpies last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Pellet Gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is it breeding season for magpies? If so they noise may simmer down once they have had their babies and they have fledged. Depending on what type of garden you have some gardens encourage them in esp. if rubbish is left uncovered or there is a lot of road kill around etc. We don't get crows or magpies in our garden, or at least if they do come in it's a fleeting visit.
    Because we kept out natural hedgerows and have lots of plants and shrubs the native song birds like we get a lot of them instead, we have house sparrows, a pair of what I thought were pidgeons but are a type of dove nesting in the trees, wagtails, robin, finches. blackbirds, thrushes etc. For some reasont he crows are more interested in the neighbours garden, duno why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Bond-007 wrote:
    What right do we have to say that?? Tis like me saying theres an overpopulation of humans in Dublin - should we start to cull the human race??

Great Theory!!!!! ;);););) ?????

Very simplistic view of evolution altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

junkyard wrote:

Its nature at work, for crying out loud... please come up with a better reason for giving them the basturd title...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I dont know about the cat in the back garden thing as a deterrent, a Magpie tried to attack my cat last year, luckily for the magpie the cat didn't see it coming and only managed to take a quick swipe at it. Personally I dont like them but they are very clever and that's a laudible characteristic in any bird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭fits

Seanie M wrote:
    Its nature at work, for crying out loud... please come up with a better reason for giving them the basturd title...

They are a non native bird. They steal the eggs of native birds and they are an annoyance.
    Grey squirrels may be rats with image consultants alright, but certainly not the red variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Lot of people say a super-soaker used daily will work after a few days, and its harmless.

Another option might be to dog-sit a LARGE dog for a few days from a friend etc, magpies may be defiant but they are not stupid birds, a garden with a dog is not usually a magpie-haven.

Altho in saying that, my mother has a very large (albiet blind and almost deaf) wicklow collie and he ignores them completely. :rolleyes: ;)

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

farmers use posion on crows works well :D:D

very hard to shoot magies never shoot one but crows are great fun to shoot ;)

Lot of people say a super-soaker used daily will work after a few days, and its harmless.

Another option might be to dog-sit a LARGE dog for a few days from a friend etc, magpies may be defiant but they are not stupid birds, a garden with a dog is not usually a magpie-haven.

Altho in saying that, my mother has a very large (albiet blind and almost deaf) wicklow collie and he ignores them completely. :rolleyes: ;)

b

B hun,

we have 4 large 2 medium & 4 small dogs & we still have HUGE gorgous magpies. I love my family of magpies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Faye, :)
    Dont get me wrong, I adore crows, magpies, rooks, they are amazingly intelligent birds.
    I once saw a pet crow somone had rescued and hand reared, named hoover ;) amazing bird, (always hoped to find one meself after meeting that fellow)

I just know most ppl dont like em, id rather they use a supersoaker than rat poisen :(

An yep tis true, most dogs are (rightly, lol) scared of *them* lol ;)

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭imprezza

I think the magpies are breeding more now we have loads too in our garden. Every couple of months we get a bit of sunny weather and they all go mad, I think they think its Spring and start breeding but I really notice theres more around now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

was awoken at 6.30am this morning by one. They make a noise like a clacker yoke that the kids brought to soccer games in teh forties, head wrecking :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Wow I dont know anything about magpies at all, and I grew up in the countryside. Where are they native to? I dont know what they even sound like. Maybe they dont come near the North....:D

My old boss (Vet) had a magpie brought to him. She/ He/ It had been attacked by a cat and the person brought it in expecting it to be given the best vourse of treatment and nursed back to full health for free! a magpie ffs! He put it down and lets just say, there was no anaesthetic:o

Squirrels are the worst though - the grey ones. :eek:

• Advertisement

Wow I dont know anything about magpies at all, and I grew up in the countryside. Where are they native to? I dont know what they even sound like. Maybe they dont come near the North....:D

My old boss (Vet) had a magpie brought to him. She/ He/ It had been attacked by a cat and the person brought it in expecting it to be given the best vourse of treatment and nursed back to full health for free! a magpie ffs! He put it down and lets just say, there was no anaesthetic:o

Squirrels are the worst though - the grey ones. :eek:

Any vet who takes that action with ANY ANIMAL should in my view be put to sleep without anaesthetic! That is TOTALLY DISGUSTING! Dont vets f*cking well treat wildlife??? All rescues tell you vets treat wildlife free of charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement