Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€3.8 Billion Investment in Science & Technology

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

€3.8 Bn to fritter away.
    I worked in Academia at an NUI college for over 5 years then left it due to the malaise and sheer laziness of my peers.
    If I made public what I encountered I'm sure many people would be shocked at the shambles that is College Research in Ireland.

You should have put in submissions to the future skills needs working group. Since the liquidation of IRSA Ltd. I think there is a need for an advocasy group to watch where the money is being spent. Already the skeleton exists with the old IRSA. there are also Irish Chapters of EU groups. I think you point is very important. Spending (I mean "accounting" ) should be visible and research should have to publicise and account (and I mean by "account" not just public money and not just accounts but also the duty to inform the public ) for spending whether public or private money is being spent. The idea of "intellectual property " needs to be protected can sometimes be used as a shield just as "official secrets" and "national interest2 was used to avoid giving information before the Freedom of Information act.
    This idea of a 4th level of education smacks of elitism .

Indeed it does. But there are times when being the best and looking for the best is NOT wrong. Take a football team. they are not criticised for spending hundreds of millions on players as long as they win the league frequently or at least come in the top five.

psi wrote:
    Arguable, but I'll agree.

Noted. So you agree that I know at least something about the standard of research in Ireland.
    Thats just too simplified to be correct.

Which is why I referred to the Technology foresight exersies and the future skill needs report and accepted economic thought and the NSF view on the matter in their Science and Technology Indicators. And yes I have read them and I dont just quote them because I "think they might look good". I might also add the STIAC report.

Everything doesnt have to be complex. The economic theory IS simple. Knowledge driven economies have cultures investment and other elements which drive growth.
    We can train people in research all we like, but if we don't give them postdoctoral experience in the field, we'll lose them to non-research pursuits.

But this in itself isnt necessarily damaging the knowledge base. Was Bill Gates better off in research? Was he better as owner of Microsoft? Is he better as a philanthropist? These are utilititarian judgements. My point is that we foster a society that can offer the opportunity for Bill Gates to develop. Everyone does not have to have a PhD but as many as practicable is a good idea. All you are saying is that 1000 is not practical. I disagree but it is not to late to change it. If you put in a submission to any of the above reports or if you are in a political party advocacy group or union there are ways to directly and indirectly affect the implementation of policy. Indeed this discussion is one of these ways.
    You can't just train alot of people and send them into a country with no jobs. We have an employment leak. We lose our PhDs because we don't have jobs. If we train more, PhDs without having places in research for them to go. That won't change.

What did Ireland do in the fifties? It starved and put its children into institutioons! In the sixties Primary education was an accepted standard. Free primary and school busses gave a lot of people an advantage. Sure most of them emigrated. But Ireland was undeveloped and better for them to go with education than without it. The eighties was similar but a bet better and the twenties a bit worse. Anyway each time it DID change. The old "create the jobs and then train the people to fill them" suffers from "critical path analyis " problems and planning problems. I dont want to jargonise but isnt it better to do both and have the jobs ready when the training is finished. Just as it is better to build the roads hospital schools and houses and have all ready at the same time. But with schools it is easy to say "we need a school for 1000 kids because we expect 1000 because with 500 housed and an average for say 2 kids a house"

The complications come in with churches - how many muslims ? or hospitals - what are the current ilnessess what will happen in the future. Will restructuring the current hospitals elsewhere have a knock on effect?

When it comes to planning the future of the knowledge base it is even more complicated . But we have to start somewhere. One can argue bottom up about the number of PhD needed but the big picture is still to invest in the future based on knowledge.
    Incidently, that RCSI centre is an academic centre based in beaumont hospital. It is not a private industry company.

Sorry I forgot about it having to be in industry. I stand corrected. i was originally think about Galway companies like Medtronic and Boston scientific but they do not operate on disease although a heart valve/device could be thought of as a response to heart disease? :)
    Publications or publications in high impact journals? There is an important difference. Patents we produce and this is good and I've already said that its good we'll get funding for start ups.

the economic evidence form several reports would suggest that "start up" and seed capital is not where smart money goes. the lions share of venture capital and FDI goes into established enterprise. This is wht R&D became RTDI. The EU report on the R&D - "Challenged and opportunities for the next generation" - i think it was called (and yes I read it!) had a chapet on this ( Chapter 8 I think) on "turning growth into jobs" I think. the point is about the link between "innovation" and "research" . of course having more PhDs is not enough in itself.
    What I'm worried about is that this will inspire a trend away from fundamental research and a focus on therapy/patant based research. This is good in moderation, but because of the relatively low hit rate with teh research, a dead end if done en masse.

Without fundamental research we are a dead duck! But this is not to say that twenty times more money should not be spent on applied research.
    By and large I'm happy the money is gone in. I've gone through the points and stated why. Its the lack of thought in focusing the money and saturating the market I worry about.

Fair comment. So other than stating that here have you actually done something about that?
    It doesn't bother me personally, I'm employed and secure with an out of state employer, but I work closely with Irish research and what I see boggles the mind at times.

You should share those thoughts with others.
    I'll forgive you your ignorance on the topic because you've never worked in the field, but the current system just doesn't work. I 've been 7 years in it, writing grants, training students and campaigning for changes.

the grant application system and student training system is different to the standard or quality of research. I have problems with the FAI but Irish footballers are still good.

In which campaigns have you been involved?
    The government introduces schemes and promises time and time again that just don't work. The fiascos are there for all to see. IRCset, Harneys slap over PRTLI, and the failure to bring in career track progression despite mooting the idea 5 years ago (and again 2 years ago, and again last week). I've watched as they continue to fund PhDs, usually in a manner that benefits only the large research groups, and put all their eggs (funding) in one basket (large labs). Thankfully, I've been in that basket, but I know and appreciate that their processes are shortsighted.

Please expand on these points. I am interested in each of them. I think the readers of this thread would like to know what you mean by the above fiascoes and how that are fiascoes.
    Creating a knowledge base and sustaining it are too different things. If we can't employ PhDs now, you suggest we let them teach secondary schools.
    Nope. I suggest that the employment should be there later. And I also claim that if someone who does a PhD takes up teaching then that is good for the education system. Indeed we need more scientists and science graduates in science teaching.
    Do you really think these people will be employed in research if we start funding postdocs later?
    But that is a loaded question. You are assumeing that a PhD in second level teaching has the ultimate aim of further research. I know someone who did yearn to get back to research. he ended up in a research admin job which was partly rewarding but frustrating on the grant application/paperwork side. He is now over a non science faculty and is quite happy to be so. Many engineers also end up in senior management.
    Any employer or investigator will take someone actively involved in research, with a publication record over someone teaching at second level. They won't even have to be Irish.
    This assumes PhDs all ant to do post doc research. some may also want to be housewives.
    Our trend towards the US system is in set up of core facilities and restructuring of universities. It has not (so far) extended to our research funding process.

It HAS exrtended the funding. Please dont ask about processes the beaurocrats may come in and create even more jobs for themselves.
    I don't care much for your debating style because it avoids the issues at hands as you try and win points, but its the fact that you try impose your economics background onto a field you are clearly ignorant of in practice, that I object to.

I am not ignorant of the field. Nor am I an economist. I actually have a science background not an economics one. But what my background is does not matter. whether my opinion is supported matters. The "I have personal experience so I should be listened to more than you" is argument from authority. Brian Cowan has a legal background. He is providing the money. Bertie has a trade union background.
    If you make a claim and I doubt it and you fail to back it up then how do you think things will go when you come up against Brian and Bertie and Mary and Michael? Telling them "I know. I work in the field. You dont!" wont win you any points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Jackie laughlin

Dublin writer,
    You misunderstand me. I see that I may not have expressed myself very well.

One of the defining features of a Ph.D. is that it be original, that it break new ground. It should NOT include coursework. It should NOT be backdated to include past work. It certainly should NOT include credit for life or career experience.

This is precisely what US "colleges" do when selling degrees.

Now in Ireland "professional doctorates" will not be awarded a Ph.D. It will be some other kind of doctorate. However, only those within the system will know the truth about the bogus doctor. The general public won't know and that's the trick. The purchaser will be happy to be called "doctor".

These prospective "doctors" are insecure senior managers with access to oodles of other people's money, who want a fancy title, but who are unable or unwilling to take a real Ph.D.

Let them purchase their bogus doctorates on the net and suffer the humiliation when they re exposed. What bothers me is that Irish universities will be damaged by becoming involved in what is essentially a lucrative scam.

OK, there may be a need for a qualification obtained in this way. Senior managers may genuinely want to further their education. At its best, it may be a valuable educational process but rest assured, if it is called anything other than a doctorate, there will be no takers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

i havent read the extensive posts on this thread but wanna ask whats the solution? should we develop centres of excellence ,bring in foreign phds from india etc to build up the area etc? i beleive r&d with commercial potential is vital for the future success of this country.can we copy best practise from likes of MIT etc ? maybe there needs to be more accountability for money spend on research and clear commercial objectives set for many phd students.any one replying to this post please keep it brief

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sceptre,
    By all means appeal for moderation and respect but don't you dare threaten to end or otherwise censor the thread. I don't approve of the tone of this debate but it's the first true on-line debate I've ever seen!
    And I'd hope that the thread will continue without the idiocy. I'd like it to as it's interesting without it. If you feel like discussing what I dare and don't dare to do in the interest of reasonable discussion or have any other suggestions, feel free to drop me a PM and I'll happily discuss it at any time given that you appear to be a reasonable person, as you can see from the posting guidelines, on-thread isn't the appropriate place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

ISAW wrote:
    Noted. So you agree that I know at least something about the standard of research in Ireland.
    Well its arguable. I think our biggest asset is that we've used the money to attract some big foreign names and re-patriated some young scientist who have done well in their time away. Whether our system will allow them to prosper will be a different matter.
    Everything doesnt have to be complex. The economic theory IS simple. Knowledge driven economies have cultures investment and other elements which drive growth.

PErhaps, but this system here just does not support the "knowledge base" system you ar eproposing, for reasons I've repeatedly outlined.
    But this in itself isnt necessarily damaging the knowledge base. Was Bill Gates better off in research? Was he better as owner of Microsoft? Is he better as a philanthropist? These are utilititarian judgements. My point is that we foster a society that can offer the opportunity for Bill Gates to develop.
    And thats the issue. IT and Engineering is a different field for many reasons. Firstly the products of such research are more end user acessible and have obvious appeal. And its avery good thing that when SFI and IRCset cam ein, at least the funded these areas to a large degree.

Health is a different issue and thats where the government has put alot of focus. Biotech and pharma produce therapies. They are less end user friendly, and no matter how novel your idea - if you have a product it has to pass FDA. Your research may be brilliant, your concept great. Your knowledge outstanding. You can't predict the outcome of clinical trials.
    Everyone does not have to have a PhD but as many as practicable is a good idea. All you are saying is that 1000 is not practical.

Only about 5 times now and I've outlined the reasons.
    I disagree but it is not to late to change it. If you put in a submission to any of the above reports or if you are in a political party advocacy group or union there are ways to directly and indirectly affect the implementation of policy. Indeed this discussion is one of these ways.

I sit on and have sat on university, industry and funding panels and reaised these issues. The biggest problem is the governments reports and their actions, like in so many areas, don't match. They follow through on whats easy and skip what isn't. In this case, making a load of funding available for PhD training is cheap and easy. Following through on a plan to have careers in research for them isn't.
    The old "create the jobs and then train the people to fill them" suffers from "critical path analyis " problems and planning problems. I dont want to jargonise but isnt it better to do both and have the jobs ready when the training is finished. Just as it is better to build the roads hospital schools and houses and have all ready at the same time. But with schools it is easy to say "we need a school for 1000 kids because we expect 1000 because with 500 housed and an average for say 2 kids a house"

But that she point, we don't have jobs for them when they are finished. This country and this government and thos before it have always gone for the short term fix, they never look long term or if they do, they don't follow through.

I never said create jobs and have people to fill them. I said if you have jobs for the people NOW, then you will be able to get more jobs for incoming graduates.

It is rare that a PhD student will actually create more work, except maybe for another PhD student. Postdocs are more likely to get grants for more postdocs and PhDs. Yet we push the money into PhDs. This is short sighted.
    If you created even 100 more postdoc jobs, this would probably facilitate the training and through put of 500 PhDs while also allowing more Postdocs with extra grants. You just won't get that level of research from a PhD student lab (in most cases) because their standard of work is generally lower and they have their thesis to worry about.

When it comes to planning the future of the knowledge base it is even more complicated . But we have to start somewhere. One can argue bottom up about the number of PhD needed but the big picture is still to invest in the future based on knowledge.
    The future of our knowledge base is in structures that facilitate PhDs - that means people to train them and bring in more money. Not in flooding the system with PhDs. Why is that hard to understand?
    Sorry I forgot about it having to be in industry. I stand corrected. i was originally think about Galway companies like Medtronic and Boston scientific but they do not operate on disease although a heart valve/device could be thought of as a response to heart disease? :)
    None of them employ postdoctoral researchers in Ireland.
    the economic evidence form several reports would suggest that "start up" and seed capital is not where smart money goes. the lions share of venture capital and FDI goes into established enterprise. This is wht R&D became RTDI. The EU report on the R&D - "Challenged and opportunities for the next generation" - i think it was called (and yes I read it!) had a chapet on this ( Chapter 8 I think) on "turning growth into jobs" I think. the point is about the link between "innovation" and "research" . of course having more PhDs is not enough in itself.
    Yet that is the only strategy that has been implimented by the government in the last two reviews.
    Without fundamental research we are a dead duck! But this is not to say that twenty times more money should not be spent on applied research.
    Not at all, I agree that we need both.
    Fair comment. So other than stating that here have you actually done something about that?

You should share those thoughts with others.
    Of course. As I said above. I've even spoken to Harney and Enda Kenny over it.

the grant application system and student training system is different to the standard or quality of research. I have problems with the FAI but Irish footballers are still good.
    Fair point, but do you want to run a football team with only a youth academy or do you need a pro first team to help blend the youth in and eventually promote the youth to the first team.

Essentially the governments plan is akin to putting all its money into the youth team and expecting them all to step up when they all turn 17 and go win something.
    In which campaigns have you been involved?

Specifically I was on a board that lobied IRCset for a review of its funding procedures but as some of the stuff is public record, I'm not willing to give out details more than that. I value my privacy.

Please expand on these points. I am interested in each of them. I think the readers of this thread would like to know what you mean by the above fiascoes and how that are fiascoes.

IRCset funding is flawed in many ways. Mostly it tends to fund only salary, which means that it is a funding option only open to labs who have grants already, as the cost of a PhD or Postdoc in bench fees and consumables is quite high. This pretty much alienates young investigators recently entering Prinicpal Investigator status and smaller lab groups. In otherwords, IRCset have put all their eggs in one basket. On top of that, the funding criteria doesn't accurately reflect the quality of the work proposed or the potential of the candidate.

Incidently, here is the report the Royal Irish Academy put forward in its review. RIA Report. While ther eis obviously some overlap, the key focuses are different from those put forward in an IRCset autumn conference and in this latest proposal.

The PRTLI funding cut in 2003, withholding promised money specifically earmarked for third level research prompted intervention from the US patron who had donated money, most notably Chuck Feeney. In the end the Government bowed to the pressure and reinstated the funding, but only after Feeney and others threathened to withhold all future donations. Had this not happened, they would have shafted the very researchers they had stood before just months earlier with their promise of a brave new world.
    Nope. I suggest that the employment should be there later. And I also claim that if someone who does a PhD takes up teaching then that is good for the education system. Indeed we need more scientists and science graduates in science teaching.
    Fair enough, but a PhD still need to go through the grad dip in teaching. I'm not quite sure how you make 3-4 years with an expected yearly Net Salary of 15K followed by 6-12 months teacher training an attractive career prospect.
    But that is a loaded question. You are assumeing that a PhD in second level teaching has the ultimate aim of further research. I know someone who did yearn to get back to research. he ended up in a research admin job which was partly rewarding but frustrating on the grant application/paperwork side. He is now over a non science faculty and is quite happy to be so. Many engineers also end up in senior management.
    Well I think a 4 year training in expertise of research is a little wasted in a teaching job, but thats just my opinion.

This assumes PhDs all ant to do post doc research. some may also want to be housewives.
    They do and I know many who are. But if we're talking about investing in research, I think we want people to stay in science research either through academia, administration or industry.
    It HAS exrtended the funding. Please dont ask about processes the beaurocrats may come in and create even more jobs for themselves.
    That is poor english on my part.
    It has invested more money, but the funding does not go to the areas or infrastructure of american systems. We try impliment the administration but don't distribute the funding in the same way, so we have a pale imitation.
    I am not ignorant of the field. Nor am I an economist. I actually have a science background not an economics one. But what my background is does not matter. whether my opinion is supported matters. The "I have personal experience so I should be listened to more than you" is argument from authority. Brian Cowan has a legal background. He is providing the money. Bertie has a trade union background.

Fair enough. I'm corrected.
    If you make a claim and I doubt it and you fail to back it up then how do you think things will go when you come up against Brian and Bertie and Mary and Michael? Telling them "I know. I work in the field. You dont!" wont win you any points.
    Becuae to be fair to the politicians I've met, who don't know the field, they stick to the points we are discussing and listen to what is being said (they don't action it, but at least the focus at the time).

Dear RonByrne2005,
    I'll try to be very brief.

I suggest you go back to the politics page and read the thread re the closure of Littelfuse in Dundalk. The opening comment is from someone who has the misfortune to realise what exactly is going wrong with the Irish economy. Things are much more bleak than the thread you are now reading seems to suggest. The Ph.D./4th level debate is a distraction. The investment is urgently needed elsewhere.

Isaw,
    I accept that you didn't use all of the terms with which I have difficulty. However let's take "critical mass". It sould never appear in a socio economic context/argument. It is a scientific term describing a type of causality. When applied in the humanities it suggests that when a group reaches a certain size (seldom stated with any accuracy) an effect will follow. How that might happen or the true form or extent of the effect need not be discussed because common understanding of "critical mass" seems to obviate the need. Remove the term "critical mass" and the lacuna becomes obvious, demanding a full explanation from policy, through implementaion to planned outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

sceptre wrote:
    They've been doing at least one biopharmaceutical research project at DCU since June of last year.

Press Release
    about this project

There are a good mix of people working on this project, many of them with PhDs, so I would put it forward as a good example of a postdoc-style research group.
    It's cutting edge R&D. As you'll see from the press release, it involves genomics and proteomics approaches to improving biopharma production and there are only a handful of people doing this around the world.

psi wrote:
    If you have no research being pushed by postdocs, your lab effectively becomes a large training facility that revolves around how much knowledge the PI has.

When the PI starts running out of ideas, but the only grants available are PhD grants, you start getting devalued PhDs.

Effectively you geta situation like some european countries where PhD unemployment is high and the qualification means little.

this ia a biased point of view. Biased from the point of science research that is. Arts departments have neither labs nor large training facilities ofr postdocs. Science and engineering is expected to be "cutting edge". this may mean that the relevance or impact of research is quickly out dated. Research in arts may well be relevant in in decades to come and may still be quoted in publications. Also Universities are not research centres. If the science researchers wanted to have research stand alone then why did they canpaign of research to be in universities? If they want it outside of universities then why not give up their University jobs and concentrate on research alone?

• Advertisement

ISAW wrote:
    this ia a biased point of view. Biased from the point of science research that is. Arts departments have neither labs nor large training facilities ofr postdocs.

Ok, but the area we are talking about is science and technology, so I would have though it "on topic" rather than biased.
    Science and engineering is expected to be "cutting edge". this may mean that the relevance or impact of research is quickly out dated.

Not really, you may get scooped to publishing a major finding, but most science, but especially good science will always generate more questions than answers. The pity is that we don't always have the resources to go answering the later questions.
    Research in arts may well be relevant in in decades to come and may still be quoted in publications.
    That is fair enough but the current topic is the money for science, technology and innovation. I'm not entirely sure that much of that will go into research in the arts.
    Also Universities are not research centres. If the science researchers wanted to have research stand alone then why did they canpaign of research to be in universities? If they want it outside of universities then why not give up their University jobs and concentrate on research alone?

The universites aren't research centres but most universities now have research centres. Again you are misdirecting from the point here.

I don't particularly care where the postdoctoral jobs in science are generated, just that they are generated. If there is money made available, fund postdocs and PhDs a sensible ratio. At the moment there isn't money in academia to fund the people graduating the PhDs for research. There aren't research jobs for them either. Of course research should be carried out in universities, but if we create a knowledge base, we need to employ it and have it act as a self sustaining industry.

I mean, don't get me wrong, if I was working in Ireland, I'd happily throw in a few grants and take PhDs with the extra money but depending on the institute I was located, their prospects after completing their PhD might be bleak. While this would be self serving for me, it wouldn't be very good for them (of course, with my contacts I could get them all positions in labs internationally, but I think we should be aiming to get past the stage where we send off our talented scientists).

We could put our hopes in the scenario where they return to Ireland and bring back all they achieved abroad, but then there are so many things that can happen in 3-5 years such as marriage, kids or promotion that may lead someone to stay away. Its a risky think to hope.

What would be better for everyone, would be a position where we created postdoc career tracks. Allowing PhD graduates 3-5 years grants to conduct research and then after successful review of their progress, give them money to become investigators without formal teaching duties and hire PhDs of their own. This has been promised for years but there are only a handful of such schemes available. Its a much more sensible and sustainable use of money as it creates an army of experienced researchers in a position to attract other sources of funding and improve the quality of PhD education.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

ISAW wrote:
    On a related note EU legislation does not allow contract work to continue. Either the fulltime job is offered or the post ceases to exist.

With post-doc positions funding tends to be for an average of 2 - 3 years, once the funding runs out there is a scramble for more money. If you are fortunate to get more funding you are safe for another short period. You will still be sitting in the same office, working at the same bench, but it is technically a different contract thus bypassing the magic 5 year then permanent position EU legislation.

There is no career progression for research post-docs in academia at the moment, no pension, healthcare etc. Publish or perish is a phrase usually used but just because you work hard doesn't mean you get the funding. As there are few alternatives for someone interested in research (biological) outside of academia there is a constant scramble to secure money to pay for your salary. Not a nice prospect. I do, however, agree that competition is necessary to create value for the money invested.

Permanent positions in academia are things of the past (excluding those that already have them). Many of my friends who got PhDs have left research for product development roles or other non-research positions e.g. Abbott. Personally I would love to get a research position in industry in this country but they are few and far between.

It has to be remembered that doing a PhD is a huge commitment taking anywhere from 3 - 5 years on poor money in addition to the time required for the basic degree (at least there is money for salaries in science compared to other disciplines). It is not something to be entered into lightly. If there are limited opportunities for 4th level graduates coupled with relatively poor pay how are we going to entice people to commit this additional time (apart from love of research :) ). A carrot is needed at the other end of 4th level.

Hopefully this €3.8 billion will help address this.

psi wrote:
    Ok, but the area we are talking about is science and technology, so I would have though it "on topic" rather than biased.

But we were talking of the knowledge base element of that. all PhD's are not necessarily for science and technology. Take a postgrad in "electrinic multi media". One can get a science degree in this but I would suggest it is more on the artistic end than the science end of the spectrum given that it is entirely technology driven. But then again so is photography.

I accept your point but again it refers to postdoctoral research only as it relates to broadening the knowledge base for macroeconomic reasons. One could easily suggest that using the Unit cost system which already exists one could produce twice as many arts PhDs as science ones for the same cost. there is minimal to no cost in labs or equipment.

So back to where you started if you want blue skies research which is not fopr macroeconomic reasons then how can you complain about a PhD from some esoteric unappliable academic research?
    Not really, you may get scooped to publishing a major finding, but most science, but especially good science will always generate more questions than answers. The pity is that we don't always have the resources to go answering the later questions.

Yes I argee thah had to do with post docs but it also has to do with a lot more. I was cleaning aout my " i must read this" pi9le today and came across the NSF report I referred to earlier. here is a snippet. It is called Science and Technology Indicators 2006 I believe
    youcan download to whole report for the NSF
    I refer to figuer 6-20 (in chapter6). Of 18 high tech countries Ireland fares third place in "national orientation" 4th in "socioeconomic infrastructure" 6th in "technological infrastructure" and 7th in "productive capacity" . The actual figures are in Table 6-9 in the second volume of appendices. The individual metrics come from the Georgia Institute of technology "high Tech Indicators Preliminary report" (2005). You may feel free to dis their methodology.
    That is fair enough but the current topic is the money for science, technology and innovation. I'm not entirely sure that much of that will go into research in the arts.
    Which is why it is important to know that the money as such flows through the Enterprise department and "innovation" may be regarded as "industry". But if the Arts also look to industry and not to "education" then the funding is there. chemists did the same with IT money so why couldnt arts do a "artistic techoloogy" reclassification?
    The universites aren't research centres but most universities now have research centres. Again you are misdirecting from the point here.
    yes and no. If research should stand alone then it does not have to depend on being in a third level beaurocracy. trouble is (as you have pointed out) who else is doing the post doctoral research? I submit some industries but strategically SME's are NOT investing in it.
    I don't particularly care where the postdoctoral jobs in science are generated, just that they are generated... there isn't money in academia to fund the people graduating the PhDs for research. ... if we create a knowledge base, we need to employ it and have it act as a self sustaining industry.

Yes. But SMEs drive growth. From your background I am sure you are aware of the difference in culture of academic departments and stand alone research spinoffs.
    What would be better for everyone, would be a position where we created postdoc career tracks. Allowing PhD graduates 3-5 years grants to conduct research and then after successful review of their progress, give them money to become investigators without formal teaching duties and hire PhDs of their own. This has been promised for years but there are only a handful of such schemes available.

It seems to me we don't think much differently after all. One thing is different however. You seem to favour the managed buaurocrat approach. I favour the open market application devoid of red tape.

Ah, God! Managed Vs open-market approach. No matter what way this is looked at, it is a hare brained waste of resources comparable to anything that the wild imaginations of "communist" despots once devised. This has nothing to do with the economic/development problem which is gathering pace in Ireland. Exclude job creation in the public sector, the building and the "hospitality" industry and realise the real trouble that we are facing. There needs to be a responce to the frightening downturn in tradeable production. More Ph.Ds. and a "fourth level" education system may be a sensible policy somewhere but not here!

Please see the thread "Whistling Past the Graveyard".

Ah, God! Managed Vs open-market approach. No matter what way this is looked at, it is a hare brained waste of resources comparable to anything that the wild imaginations of "communist" despots once devised. This has nothing to do with the economic/development problem which is gathering pace in Ireland. Exclude job creation in the public sector, the building and the "hospitality" industry and realise the real trouble that we are facing. There needs to be a responce to the frightening downturn in tradeable production. More Ph.Ds. and a "fourth level" education system may be a sensible policy somewhere but not here!

It isnt a "more PhDs" policy! It is about underpinning the knowledge base. Money will actually go to industry. The lions share in third level institutions will not go to third level workers i.e. to lecturers, but to fourth level e.g. postdocs, PIs, technicians who are working in the likes fo SFI centres and who dont fo ANY teaching.

The public sector is a drain on our resources. we have lumped money into masses of administration being created. This also happens with science and engineering but at least they have something to show for it. I dont understand you . Maybe you meant that jobs created are all "hospitality industry" jobs. Take a look at this (jobs 1998-2005) :-
    http://www.cso.ie/statistics/empandunempilo.htm

Agriculture and fisheries - down 23,000 (hope it doesnt include the disaster of river and lake fishing)
    Industry (shop floor) - down 8,000
    construction - up 116,000
    retail - up 55,000 (i assume this includes pubs)
    hotels/restuarants - up 14 ,000 (not a lot for "hospitality"
    transport - up 31,000
    financial services - up 86,000
    public admin - up 28,000 (in spite of a so called "embargo" on recruitment)
    educatin up 30,000 (thats a 30 per cent increase guess haow many extra teachers or lecturers ? Most are probably in desk jobs)
    health - up 55,000 (again I think there are 8,000 extra doctors and nurses most are desk jobs)
    other services - up 34,000

Unemployment - down 41,000
    Not in workforce - up 16,000

The so called "job creation" in pensionable desk jobs above is a complete waste. Even teachers and lecturers have pensions and can scratch themselves when they get the job. Money is going into long term contracts. If you are a post doc you get paid by the state for five years and you mov on. you create a job in industry. You do not sit on state money for the next 30 years. Likewise if you work in construction you go where the work is unlike the civil servants who stay in Dublin and can not be moved.

Note the massive job creation in finace and scant regard is paid into research in this field! these ARE desk jobs that create wealth!

Dear RonByrne2005,
    The investment is urgently needed elsewhere.

Where else is the investment needed?

Isaw,
    I accept that you didn't use all of the terms with which I have difficulty. However let's take "critical mass". It sould never appear in a socio economic context/argument. It is a scientific term describing a type of causality. When applied in the humanities it suggests that when a group reaches a certain size (seldom stated with any accuracy) an effect will follow. How that might happen or the true form or extent of the effect need not be discussed because common understanding of "critical mass" seems to obviate the need. Remove the term "critical mass" and the lacuna becomes obvious, demanding a full explanation from policy, through implementaion to planned outcome.

This isnt just "build the fiels and they will come" like the hollywood movie - though I admit there is wide spread ignorance of how knowledge is devleoped into products. there is a degree of planning . Thee is not enough debate between senior policy planners public representatives and the likes some people the sort who have attacked policy on this forum. Many planners are dismissive of naysayers and many public representatives are suspicious of negative commentators. they look upon such people as "professional moaners" or maybe as supporters of rival political factions. some thimes they actually ARE such supporters and when their crowd are in they dont attack THEM!

But reform is much broadr than governemnt which is only a very small part of the puzzle. Thre is the society at large and ther is also the public service which is of a much more permanent and reticent nature than politicians. In short people have to influence the politicians to change the policy makers, difficult to do when time is in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is there a single thread on Politics you haven't pimped that thread and/or Chicken Littlefuse in?

Yes, it's too bad that people lose their jobs, but this happens all the time in every economy, even ones where unemployment is low as ours is. The sky isn't falling.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Please read the NSF report I referenced above. :)

Ninja900,
    I like this site and the level of debate it offers. I'm not sure that "pimp" retains any meaning. It is overused these days as in TV's "pimp my ride" but it probably retains enough of its original meaning for you to use it to post abuse.

ISAW,
    Our main difference has been what I see as your overly optimistic view on public money being invested in high level scientific research and so-called 4th level education. I'm not sure if this is misguided socialist investment or transfer of wealth from public to private.

I don't share your disdain for longterm employment. I favour security and happiness in themselves but also because they are foundations for thought and creativity. Of course time serving and lack of commitment are problems among lazy public service workers and they ought to be "sorted" but you should try getting some work out of someone nearing the end of a contract; a five year contract results in about three years work as the employee ponders the pointlessness of his or her efforts and sets up a move to another pasture.

• Advertisement

Isaw,
    Thanks for that link to the stats. The figures may raise more questions than they answer. I accept your comments about the ratio of "desk jobs" to activists. I'm attracted too to the financial services figure but think that the same question needs to be asked there.

Incidentally, one of the criticisms which the rightwing Spectator magazine frequently levels against the Blair administration is the creation of an unproductive "class" of report writers, "change managers", "performance evaluators" etc. etc. We seem to be grossly over-managed but these people cloak themselves in aggressive "business speak" and avoid detection as drones. Fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,988 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah right Jackie you're new in these here parts. The accepted meaning on boards.ie (others feel free to correct me) appears to be "promote with excessive or inappropriate enthusiasm". No abuse/offence intended, but you do seem to be making pretty much the same points across a wide variety of threads of greater or lesser relevance.

This isn't relevant to the thread either so I'll stop now.

The Roman Catholic Church is beyond despicable, it laughs at us as we pay for its crimes. It cares not a jot for the lives it has ruined.

Here is another fact that I find interesting. Irelands RandD as percent of GDP is constantly dissed by detractors. Ireland fares quite well compared to the likes of italy France Canada the UK and the Us (when the Us Defence expendature on RandD is not taken into account).
    http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf00328/figures/fig31.gif

On the post docs and the government committing little to them. Without disagreeing that post doctoral research should get some state funding:

There are 2,900 federally funded post docs in the US.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind06/c2/tt02-07.htm

The GDP of ireland is - estimated $164 billion (2005)
    The GDP of the United States - $12, 360 billion
    http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/us.html

at 75 times our GDP a level of 2,900/75 = 38 postdocs in the whole of Ireland funded by the State. I suggest that there are far far more than that.

... a five year contract results in about three years work as the employee ponders the pointlessness of his or her efforts and sets up a move to another pasture.

tell that to someone in private sector work e.g. a bricklayer or production manager. If they stop laying bricks or allow production to be lax (not even grind to a halt but just not be as good as the last three quarters) then they will not be sitting on a contract for two years. They will be sitting in the dole queque!

Ninja900,
    Yes, I am making more or less the same point across a few threads but i'm certainly not alone in that.

ISAW,
    I accept your point when it comes to laying bricks or where output can be measured in the short term. However, at the high skills end things are different. People have more control over their work and timescales are longer. You know about research. I know about development and projects. Contract workers are an inefficient pain in the ass! Incidentally, the "human resources" types who are swayed by the last thing they read and for whom contracting is now flavour of the month are a greater pain the ass!

ISAW wrote:
    But we were talking of the knowledge base element of that. all PhD's are not necessarily for science and technology. Take a postgrad in "electrinic multi media". One can get a science degree in this but I would suggest it is more on the artistic end than the science end of the spectrum given that it is entirely technology driven. But then again so is photography.

I accept your point but again it refers to postdoctoral research only as it relates to broadening the knowledge base for macroeconomic reasons. One could easily suggest that using the Unit cost system which already exists one could produce twice as many arts PhDs as science ones for the same cost. there is minimal to no cost in labs or equipment.

So back to where you started if you want blue skies research which is not fopr macroeconomic reasons then how can you complain about a PhD from some esoteric unappliable academic research?

I don't complain and I merely dimiss your comment because in the current context of this thread, its offtopic (the funding isn't for arts).
    Yes I argee thah had to do with post docs but it also has to do with a lot more. I was cleaning aout my " i must read this" pi9le today and came across the NSF report I referred to earlier. here is a snippet. It is called Science and Technology Indicators 2006 I believe
    youcan download to whole report for the NSF
    I refer to figuer 6-20 (in chapter6). Of 18 high tech countries Ireland fares third place in "national orientation" 4th in "socioeconomic infrastructure" 6th in "technological infrastructure" and 7th in "productive capacity" . The actual figures are in Table 6-9 in the second volume of appendices. The individual metrics come from the Georgia Institute of technology "high Tech Indicators Preliminary report" (2005). You may feel free to dis their methodology.

at present I'm my PC access is limited (I haven't actually been at my base of operations in terms of home or work for several weeks now) so I can't look at your ref in any detail, if you give me a few relevent quotes it may help.

From what you've said, the report doesn't indicate that this is in terms of pure research per se.
    Which is why it is important to know that the money as such flows through the Enterprise department and "innovation" may be regarded as "industry". But if the Arts also look to industry and not to "education" then the funding is there. chemists did the same with IT money so why couldnt arts do a "artistic techoloogy" reclassification?

Not sure I follow how this point has anything to do with what I'm talking about.

yes and no. If research should stand alone then it does not have to depend on being in a third level beaurocracy. trouble is (as you have pointed out) who else is doing the post doctoral research? I submit some industries but strategically SME's are NOT investing in it.

To be fair, some SMEs are investing (not totally against what I argued before). At least in manpower. Westgate and Sigmoid being two that are investing in manpower within academic institutes. But its just one or two people here and there and again, its not offering career progression or renewable contracts.
    Yes. But SMEs drive growth. From your background I am sure you are aware of the difference in culture of academic departments and stand alone research spinoffs.

they do, but at present not in research. You are getting more encouragement for researchers to engage in start-up companies with IP and research but the success rate for these is low and usually they occur atthe expense of academic researcher as the prinicpal investigator may not have the time to spread across both areas. If we had proper investmentin postdoctoral career paths, we could probably deal with that issue, maybe even increasing the success rates of such start-ups (although the quality of the concept plays a part, perhaps more postdocs would improve this too).
    It seems to me we don't think much differently after all. One thing is different however. You seem to favour the managed buaurocrat approach. I favour the open market application devoid of red tape.

We probably do.
    Not really favouring either to be honest, I do believe in investing in the right areas though. Long term research strategies have not, historically, been followed through here. Its far easier to appease the grant hungry masses with lots of small granst for studentsips than to set any proper professional training in order.

Remember, proper research training, including management and grant writing usually only occurs in postdoctoral life. A PhD is merely an apprenticeship. The pursuit of excellence is a lifelong endeavour - a quote from the art of war that is still apt thousand of years later. The current funding for research hasn't heeded this in terms of excellence in research education.

psi wrote:
    I don't complain and I merely dimiss your comment because in the current context of this thread, its offtopic (the funding isn't for arts).

So what? the funding is under specific headings. If you apply under the headings and fit the description then you can get the funding.

Not sure I follow how this point has anything to do with what I'm talking about.
    Well put it this way. There wqas a lot of FP 4 and FP5 funding for IT. Not any for chemistry. as most chemestry ios done on computers anyway they re defined themselves as "computer science researchers"

To be fair, some SMEs are investing (not totally against what I argued before). At least in manpower. Westgate and Sigmoid being two that are investing in manpower within academic institutes. But its just one or two people here and there and again, its not offering career progression or renewable contracts.

But the big job people like constructions are not really investing in R&D they are just in for the short term gain and not thinking long term.

psi wrote:
    at present I'm my PC access is limited (I haven't actually been at my base of operations in terms of home or work for several weeks now) so I can't look at your ref in any detail, if you give me a few relevent quotes it may help.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind06/c6/c6h.htm
    Contrary to popular perception, only a relatively small amount of dollars invested by venture capital funds ends up as seed money to support research or early product development. Seed-stage financing has never accounted for more than 8% of all disbursements over the past 23 years and most often has represented 1%–5% of the annual totals. The latest data show that seed financing represented just 1.3% in 2003 and less than 1% in 2004.

http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind06/c5/c5h.htm
    # The federal government provided 62% of academic R&D expenditures in 2003, substantial growth from the 58% share of support provided in 2000. The federal share of support had been in decline since the early 1970s, when it reached a high of 69%.

* The share of full-time faculty declined from 87% in the early 1970s to 75% in 2003. Other full-time positions rose to 14% of the total, and postdoc and part-time appointments stood at 6% and 5%, respectively.

The academic doctoral labor force has been aging during the past quarter century.

In most fields, the percentage of academic researchers with federal support for their work was lower in 2003 than in the late 1980s.

* Full-time faculty were less likely to receive federal support (45%) than other full-time doctoral employees (48%). Both of these groups were less frequently supported than postdocs (78%).
    * For each of the three groups mentioned above (full-time faculty, other full-time employees, and postdocs) recent doctorate recipients were less likely to receive federal support than their more established colleagues.
    Remember, proper research training, including management and grant writing usually only occurs in postdoctoral life. A PhD is merely an apprenticeship. The pursuit of excellence is a lifelong endeavour - a quote from the art of war that is still apt thousand of years later. The current funding for research hasn't heeded this in terms of excellence in research education.

If you ask me researchers should stick to research and hire other people (who may well be researchers also) to do the administration.

fish or cut bait - a quote from me

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. -- Carl Sagan

And why do scientists call it "research" when looking for something new?

• Advertisement

All very nice, not quite sure how it counters anything I've been saying, but I like all the symbols ;)

Advertisement