Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add filling-loop to a sealed heating system

Options
  • 18-06-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

My house originally had an open vent heating system, but when I converted to gas they changed the heating to a sealed system. Instead of adding a filling-loop from the mains, they left the old header tank and just added a non-return valve to the feed-pipe.

I recently converted my attic, which involved moving both tanks to one side, but now I'm thinking of discarding the ch header tank completely, and installing a filling loop from the mains instead (in the attic). I just wanted to check if there's any problem doing this? It seems straightforward enough, just add some metal sheathed flexible hose and 2 non-return valves, or am I overlooking something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Theres not much to it ,but if you are thinking of installing a radiator in the attic at any stage ,it would be best to install a pressure reducing valve .
    Otherwise a loop can be put on ,the guys done nothing wrong when they left the tank in ,always handy to have somewhere to add inhibitor to the system.

You really only put on a loop when there are no other options.
    Before the loop is put on ,a red vessell must be located on the system
    And a guage located at the boiler ,with a pipe located externally.

Have it done professionally ,you can damage a system by simple mistakes.

Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Thanks for the reply Brian,
    The system already has a red expansion chamber, a pressure gauge at the boiler, and a pressure release valve connected to an external pipe, so all I have to do is add the filling loop.
    The main reason why I want to add a loop, is to restore 1 bar pressure to the system. The existing header tank only takes the pressure to 0.5 bar.

Always make sure the valve is off when the system is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Yeah, I'm fitting 2 on/off valves (1 at each end of the flexi-pipe) so I can disconnect the loop completely when the system is full and pressurised.

;) ,thats the way it should be done alright.

Take care

Brian.

• Advertisement
Advertisement