Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I remove stickers from a wooden door.

Options
  • 18-06-2006 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

OK I've done a search on these forums and so far come up with nothing.
    I'm looking for something that will remove all kinds of stickers from a kid's bedroom door. I want to sand and paint it. You know the kind I mean, barbie stickers, glitter stickers etc. Some have been easy to remove but others have left a residue behind and some are just darn stubborn and refused to budge at all. The door is covered from head to toe...and no, I can't afford to change it. Any help really appreciated. The door is your basic bog standard white panelled door.TA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Warm soapy water and a sponge..if you are going to sand the door you will also get away with using something rougher like a brillo to remove the more stubborn ones...failing all that or you just cant be bothered a wall paper remover steamer should do it in a jiffy:D

How did I end up posting here:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 san01

Oh my god thats so fast and so BRILLIANT! I never thought of the steamer and here I am just waiting for it to heat up so's I can strip the room as well....
    FULL MARKS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

san01 wrote:
    OK I've done a search on these forums and so far come up with nothing.
    I'm looking for something that will remove all kinds of stickers from a kid's bedroom door. I want to sand and paint it. You know the kind I mean, barbie stickers, glitter stickers etc. Some have been easy to remove but others have left a residue behind and some are just darn stubborn and refused to budge at all. The door is covered from head to toe...and no, I can't afford to change it. Any help really appreciated. The door is your basic bog standard white panelled door.TA

Get some wd40 it will do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

san01 wrote:
    Oh my god thats so fast and so BRILLIANT! I never thought of the steamer and here I am just waiting for it to heat up so's I can strip the room as well....
    FULL MARKS!

You have one and all:D good stuff...wann come round and clean my windows;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Also, there are pressurised cans of Label Remover which is good. The one I have is made by Servisol. Just avoid using it on certain plastics as it'll melt them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Moisten the sticker by dabbing very gently with a soft cloth soaked with White Spirits/turpentine for about 30 secs.
    Be careful not to scrub as you might mark the paintwork/woodgrain.

Leave alone for about 5 mins and then you should be able to peel sticker away very easily. Any adhesive residue on door can also be wiped clear from door using the same cloth.

Sonnenblumen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

Moisten the sticker by dabbing very gently with a soft cloth soaked with White Spirits/turpentine for about 30 secs.
    Be careful not to scrub as you might mark the paintwork/woodgrain.

Leave alone for about 5 mins and then you should be able to peel sticker away very easily. Any adhesive residue on door can also be wiped clear from door using the same cloth.

Sonnenblumen

2nd this, white spirits works perfectly, as had to do exactly the same recently when selling our house after the kids plastered a door with those charity collection stickers (pure evil to remove :mad: ) and the white spirit method as described above was brilliant (and reccommended to me by a painter/decorator of 20 years experience!)

Advertisement