Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naming... how many forenames?

Options
  • 18-06-2006 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

OK, so am not sure whether to give my soon to be born child two or three forenames. I figure I might as well go with three because there are so many names out there (although of course, he would only be called by the first one on a day to day basis).

Are there any disadvantages to having 3 rather than 2 forenames (in terms of being too long to fit on official forms or anything)? Any other thoughts on the matter?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

None that I am aware of, I was only given the one at birth but I have siblings that had 3 and there wasn't an issue with it.
    Most forms don't ask for your name in full, and most have room.
    I think the additional names are a good way to clearly create an identiy for your child and it can be link into family names.
    One of mine was born on the 50th birthday of thier grandfather and so has a variation of his name in thier name and they know that they are named after him and that they share a birthday.

Just becareful about the possible acronym of your child initals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Most places ignore the 3rd forename. One tradition I've heard is to have forename, mothers maiden surname and then fathers surname name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I was given two, named after both my grandmothers (well, variations of their names), the third name I picked myself when making my confirmation, but only my first two are on my driving license and passport, not sure if all three would go on if I was given them all at birth... I don't see why not give her/him three though, but like Thaedydal said, watch out for acronym's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Thaedydal wrote:
    Just becareful about the possible acronym of your child initals.

Ya like Trevor Ivan Thomas Murphy :D . I know what age am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My own first name is hyphenated. It is "Sorcha-Áine" but I think it sounds stupid, so I've only ever called myself Sorcha. I don't technically have a middle name.

When it came to naming Rhiannon, I gave her one middle name, Joyce, after my best friend who died in 2000. I was going to give her two (my Grannys name), but as her own name is three syllables long, her middle name one syllable, and her surname two, I thought adding more into the mix would make it way too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Or U. Ryan. My parents never saw it coming. Unfortunately, the kids in my school did. Heh. I try to get people to send letters using my full name, but it doesn't always work.

Not having a middle name frankly sucks, as does having two first names. It's an imbalance and is silly. Beware, you're effectively branding someone for life. Life's tough enough without having a stupid (or embarrassing) name to top it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I have 3 forenames and a confirmation name (Karen Mary Eileen Lucy) :D
    But i've never had any problems so go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wouldn't worry so much about acronyms of the full name, but do watch the acronyms of initials.

Depending on how common the names are, e.g. Michael Murphy should get a unique identifier in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Victor wrote:
    I wouldn't worry so much about acronyms of the full name, but do watch the acronyms of initials.

Depending on how common the names are, e.g. Michael Murphy should get a unique identifier in the middle.

Absolutely agree with this- my brother was very unfortunate with his initials and it haunts him to this day :D

My two boys have 2 and 3 names and when number 3 arrives if male will have 2 names and if female will have 3 ( because want to include name of favourite Aunt who died recently).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh yes, I didn't quite cop the [strike]acronym[/strike] thing fully until walking home well after dawn ...

The more total letters, the more acronyms become available, pretty much on an exponential basis.

http://www.wordsmith.org/anagram/

Based on my first name and surname (9 letters, 6 unique, one double, one triple) 45 results.
    Based on my first and middles names and surname (16 letters, 11 unique, two doubles, one triple) 62501 results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

I have my 'Christian'/first name, three middle names, my confirmation name, and a surname (of course).
    So, it's all obviously quite long.
    I'm in my twenties, and have filled out millions of forms up to now. The only official document I have with all the names (except the confirmation name) is my birthcert. All documents (passport forms/college IDs/bank forms) ask for a first name, and a surname. Sometimes you have the OPTION of adding in a middle name. I never do, as it's just too complicated.
    My parents gave me all the names because they thought they were too nice to leave out.
    I think you should name your child whatever you want. It has had no impact on my life whatsoever the amount of middle names I have. I have three siblings and they're the same. They just don't fill out their middle names in forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My girlfirend has 7 forenames, not sure why!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i was given 3, Joseph-Thomas Patrick,

i took my fathers name for my comfermation, Erin

surely its ok to just use Joseph thomas?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I see posters mentioning their confirmation name. I can't even remember what mine was to be honest. But, does your confirmation name have any legal standing? I doubt it really, it's just a part of a made up religious ceremony, not a legal change to your name. I am open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

The 'confirmation name' has the same legal standing as a woman changing her surname after marriage. It's habit and custom and is not a legal requirement.

So you can chose (or not to use) any forename/surname you like provided there is no intention to defraud. It becomes your legal name by common usage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The more the better, one should be tar.

Advertisement