Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France v S.Korea

• 18-06-2006 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to this game despite France being one of the most boring teams around of late. I think they'll shade it 1-0.

France: Barthez, Abidal, Gallas, Thuram, Sagnol, Malouda, Vieira, Makelele, Zidane, Wiltord, Henry.
    Subs: Boumsong, Chimbonda, Coupet, Dhorasoo, Diarra, Givet, Govou, Landreau, Ribery, Saha, Silvestre, Trezeguet.

South Korea
    : Woon-Jae Lee, Young-Chul Kim, Dong-Jin Kim, Choi, Young-Pyo Lee, Nam-Il Kim, Ji-Sung Park, Eul-Yong Lee, Ho Lee, Chun-Soo Lee, Jae-Jin Cho.
    Subs: Ahn, Baek, Won-hee Cho, Chung, Do-Heon Kim, Jin-Kyu Kim, Sang-Sik Kim, Yong-Dae Kim, Young-Kwang Kim, Chu-Young Park, Seol, Song.

Referee: Benito Archundia Tellez (Mexico).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Not looking forward to it but hope France keep up their non scoring record.

kdjac

Did a french fan have a live bird ????

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

As a Newcastle fan I'd like to see Boumsong get a run out so his value can go up and we can ship him out. Of course there's also the flip side to that coin not worth thinking about but he usually plays okay for France alongside Thuram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

KdjaC wrote:
    Did a french fan have a live bird ????
    Yep, he had a big cock in his hands.

(I think the French have been doing that stunt of bringing in the mascot in the rugby for years now.)

==

1-0 Henry btw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

1-0 Nicely taken by Henry. I got the French in our work sweep so I'm hoping they'll be this world cup's bad team that gets to the final.

• Advertisement

I think the South Koreans must be the most up-beat fans in world football. They're losing yet making more of a racket than most teams do when winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

France unlucky not to be 2-0 up! That ball was behind the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

France unlucky not to be 2-0 up! That ball was behind the line.

yep, just proved on the replay.

TH 16-5 to score nxt goal. bit skinny.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

France are cruising, much higher tempo and good movement by the forward players - what did they have for breakfast today?

1-1! G'wan Park!

• Advertisement

Nice one!

Here's hoping for an Argentina vs S.Korea final (best team and the best fans in the one stadium).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

France just got what they deseved. Cruising for 80 mins and could'nt, would'nt put the game away. Zidane has just retired.

Mike.

Here's an interesting thing....Togo are threatening NOT to play Switzerland because of money reasons. That would presumably forfeit the 3 points to the Swiss wouldn't it? Leaving the French in a very precarious position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ yes, but would also forfeit the 3 points from their game against France, as Im sure they will be kicked out of the tournament if they dont honour their fixture tomorrow.

Good game that. Delight Korea equalised. I really dont like France.

If the Swiss do the job tomorrow, which they should, they will just need a point to go through, likewise Korea. Would thye just play out a draw, as it would guarantee them both progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep thats right. No doubt a deal will be reached.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

Outrageous that Viera's goal was disallowed. The ball was clearly over the line. In this day and age the technology is there to help referees. big pity FIFA didnt allow the use of chip. I think the TV ref works relatively well in rugby.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I feel bad for Henry but am delighted 'cos that Park goal got me £70 off a 3 quid bet :)

Domenech must be tearing his hair out, if France had played like they did for the first or last 10 they would have won by a cricket score - very unlucky for the Vieira disallowed goal though.

Isn't 3-0 the usual score for a forefitted game? How about this S.Korea draw with the Swiss and France/Swiss both get awarded 3-0 wins over Togo. SKorea only beat Togo 2-1 and hense they go out as a result of actually playing them.

It's all academic anyway as I can't see Togo not fulfilling their fixtures. They're bluffing over cash just like the managers walk-out stunt last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Zidane pulled a Keane!

gimmick wrote:
    ^ yes, but would also forfeit the 3 points from their game against France, as Im sure they will be kicked out of the tournament if they dont honour their fixture tomorrow.

Good game that. Delight Korea equalised. I really dont like France.

If the Swiss do the job tomorrow, which they should, they will just need a point to go through, likewise Korea. Would thye just play out a draw, as it would guarantee them both progress?

How does that work ?

If Switz beat Togo say 1-0 and france bt Togo 3-0 and Switz & SK draw 1-1 surely france would go through no ?

• Advertisement

sjones wrote:
    Zidane pulled a Keane!

No I saw ZZ out there on the pitch tonight with my own eyes.

yeah i think I'm right.

Group qualification explained

If two or more teams are level on points, positions will be determined as follows:
    Greatest number of points obtained in all group matches.
    Goal difference in all group matches.
    Greatest number of goals scored in all matches. If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:
    Greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned .
    Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned .
    Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned .
    Drawing of lots by the organising committee for the Fifa World Cup.

If Togo were to pull out I would imagine all their games would be void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

if togo pull out the only fair thing to do is award france and the swiss a win by 2-1, same scroeline as south korea won.

Also and if the swiss win tomorrow they will be on 4 points with south korea. Then if france beat togo they will be on 5. So a draw in the swiss south korea wont mean they both go through, down to goal difference. So the swiss so really go into tomorrows game looking to score a few goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

In my opinion France are unwatchable and one of the worst teams in the tournament. They don't gel together as a group and really deserve to be knocked out asap.

I don't think there's any "fair" way of doing it if Togo pull out. Don't forget Swiss will have had a nice rest in their run up to their day3 game against S.Korea

Plus Swiss will have benefitted from not picking up any cards or injuries for day 2 either.

Man I hate this group! I wish there was a transfer system so that all of Togo, Swiss and France could be sent home and their runner-up place be given to some more deserving group :)

Switzerland a half time/full time certainty for bets tomorrow so....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A poor result for France, but by all accounts a fair result. France are not at the races when it comes to winning this competition. The Henry goal looked like they were about to perform but in slow mo it could be seen that it was a deflected pass that reached Henry. The French remain flawed. They may make the top-8 depending on who they meet but unlikely to go further than that.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is anybody else really rooting for S. Korea?
    They seem to be the antithesis of everything that is wrong with modern football.

• Advertisement

Well I am anyway...brave little troopers.

PHB wrote:
    Yep. Fingers x-d for Argentina v S.Korea final.
    They seem to be the antithesis of everything that is wrong with modern football.

They are quite a lot of things in that case, but I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

redspider wrote:
    A poor result for France, but by all accounts a fair result. France are not at the races when it comes to winning this competition. The Henry goal looked like they were about to perform but in slow mo it could be seen that it was a deflected pass that reached Henry. The French remain flawed. They may make the top-8 depending on who they meet but unlikely to go further than that.

redspider
    Hardly a fair result!
    France, dull or no, should have been 2-0 up. As Ian Wright said on BBC, in this day and age, and at the WC, there is no excuse for not having a technological solution to this problem. If France go out, it will not be because of their lack of performance; it'll be because of the linesman and ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:

Well they're not going to win the real tournament , but you can always help them in the pro evo tourney .

How about you put out a weakened Austrailia side against them..........for the good of football .

johnos wrote:
    Hardly a fair result!
    France, dull or no, should have been 2-0 up. As Ian Wright said on BBC, in this day and age, and at the WC, there is no excuse for not having a technological solution to this problem. If France go out, it will not be because of their lack of performance; it'll be because of the linesman and ref.

Absolute rubbish. It will because they can't put away the chances they create. They have, without doubt, been the dullest team in World Cup 06. Dunno what tournament you've been watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

fade2black wrote:
    Absolute rubbish. It will because they can't put away the chances they create. They have, without doubt, been the dullest team in World Cup 06. Dunno what tournament you've been watching.
    france werent dull in first half and deserved to be 2/3 up,ok they didnt convert their chances but thats down to henry having a bad day and not having a second striker,if saha played im sure they would have won by a few.i think zidanes suspension for final game could be a blessing in disguise as he isnt doing it for them and is too slow etc,if they stick two up front i can see them easily beating togo and progressing far enough in this tournament,henry wont have another one of those bad days again i beleive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

fade2black wrote:
    I've been watching the scoring goals and not conceding goals World Cup, and not the pretty footie World Cup, which might be the one we all want, but for which no one gives out medals.
    In coverage of the first, you will have seen indisputable replay evidence that France were denied a clear goal. Whether they are dull or not is a different discussion, for the latter version WC. To adjudicate in that, you need score cards, as in ice figure skating.

johnos wrote:
    Hardly a fair result!
    France, dull or no, should have been 2-0 up. As Ian Wright said on BBC, in this day and age, and at the WC, there is no excuse for not having a technological solution to this problem.

Yes, that one was probably over the line and a goal, just about. But even so, France were 1-0 up at that point and should have gone on to win the game more convincingly, if they are WC contenders. But they didnt and allowed Korea to come back into the game and get a goal. I dont think they were quibbling too much at the end of the match that they drew.

It is clear that they had the most chances in the match, the most shots, etc, but they didnt put them away. They are better than Korea, but in the clincial points tally, it was a draw, 1 pt apiece. Maybe not totally fair and with that I would agree, but 'by-and-large' fair.

France will have to up their performances if they are to progress very far, and at the moment it doesnt look like that.

redspider

"That last result is more enraging (than the 0-0 draw with Switzerland) because South Korea has never been dangerous and we conceded a stupid goal," Henry told L'Equipe.

"Meanwhile, Pat's header passed the line by one metre, but the referee didn't give us the goal.

"At 2-0 it would not have been the same match anymore.

"I also got a blow in the throat which has not been sanctioned. The referee has to be competent because then he quickly gives strange yellow cards.

"I don't say it is the referee's fault that we didn't defeat South Korea, simply, if he had given us the valid goal, that would not have offered the Koreans the opportunity to come back into the match.

"We saw when Argentina led 2-0 against Serbia & Montenegro what they could achieve. That is a fact.

"When we came back in the changing room and saw the ball was in, we were really upset. The game was settled at that moment.

He really doesn't get the gracious in defeat thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

If Man u's qualification from the group stages in CL was doomed because of such an event I KNOW you would not be gracious about it either and would be quoting it and not poor finishing aside from that goal which stopped them from progressing.

> He really doesn't get the gracious in defeat thing

You're right there PHB. Henry is a poor loser it has to be said and I think most Arsenal fans would acknowledge that. I think he has learnt some of it from Wenger, alas. Btw, if that was a metre over the line, he needs glasses - badly!

redspider

• Advertisement

Henry wasn't having a bad day, he just doesnt do it for the national side. NOne of them seem to really.

If Man u's qualification from the group stages in CL was doomed because of such an event I KNOW you would not be gracious about it either and would be quoting it and not poor finishing aside from that goal which stopped them from progressing.

Like that time that Scholes goal against Porto was disallowed? Did United come out and cry that the ref was ****e. It's football. Henry is not a gracious loser at all, and he always needs somebody to blame.

btw, it's glad to see you can be so sure of things about me

Yeah, you are, as always, spot on :rolleyes:

"That's proved vital; the referee or the linesman did not do his job properly," Ferguson said.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/10/1078594435855.html?from=storyrhs

See the difference in the following:
    "That's proved vital; the referee or the linesman did not do his job properly'
    "Meanwhile, Pat's header passed the line by one metre, but the referee didn't give us the goal.

Yep that's the same.

Here's the difference:

Henry:
    "I don't say it is the referee's fault that we didn't defeat South Korea, simply, if he had given us the valid goal, that would not have offered the Koreans the opportunity to come back into the match.

"We saw when Argentina led 2-0 against Serbia & Montenegro what they could achieve. That is a fact.

"When we came back in the changing room and saw the ball was in, we were really upset. The game was settled at that moment.

i.e. We drew because of the ref

Compared to:
    "I thought we did so well. They only had one chance in the first half - but that's football.

"We looked very solid but now we have to accept it and bounce back."

One is the actions of a cry-baby who can't accept that he possibly lost and has to blame somebody, the other is the actions of somebody who accepts that 'that's football'

And yet, right there in the middle of the bit you quoted he exonerates the ref and says that they did not do enough, the difference being that You like Ferguson and you don't like Henry.

Yes he is a sore loser but alot of professional sportspeople are, along with the revered roy Keane, and many many other greats anybody who is used to success will not have had all that much experience of grace in defeat.

What the hell are you on about?
    "I don't say it is the referee's fault that we didn't defeat South Korea, simply,

Oh yeh, he exonerates the ref.
    Oh wait,

Then he blames him again!!

There is a difference between being a sore loser, and somebody who cannot accept that they lost fair and square.
    He is becoming just like Wenger, Arsenal deserved to win the CL final, blah blah blah, the ref screwed us. It's always somebody elses fault.

Oh course nobody likes to lose, and it's perfectly ok to be annoyed at it, we'd expect it, but the difference between Henry and Keane is class. Henry will look outwards to blame, will Keane will look internally.

The difference:
    Vieira said: "I am not sure if the referee's position was good enough but there is nothing we can do about it now.

"We have had things go for us on a number of occasions and now we have experienced the other side.

"The bottom line is we should have killed them off. We know that. That is why we cannot complain too much about the referee.

"If we were making chances and scoring, we wouldn't have to complain about the referee.

"We should complain about ourselves instead. When you don't score goals, you make things difficult. It is quite difficult to take and quite frustrating.

"But we have to pick ourselves up," he said ahead of Friday's game with Togo, a contest France will have to win in order to stand a chance of qualifying for the knockout stages.

Advertisement