Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name Of Fish?

• 18-06-2006 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi people,
    Just a quick question, hoping someone can help.
    I was in Lanzarote last year, went to a little fishing village in the south of the Island, and had a mixed fish platter. Now I'm not really a big fish fan but thought there is no place better to taste fish than in a little Spanish restaurant looking out over the port so gave it a go.
    There was one particular fish on the plate that was absolutely gorgeous, unfortunately my lack of Spanish and the restaurants lack of English meant I could not get the name of the fish, it sounded like garuda fish or something like that.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Maybe this is a good place to start: http://www.canaryforum.com/fish.html

It could be the Dorada?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 brianc1

yeah that might be it, although one website says that fish is avail from may to october, I had it at christmas.
    I wonder if any of the fishmongers here would have it so I could try it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

The dates may be due to fishing restrictions. The Spanish are somewhat notorious for ignoring these!

You say that you're not a big fish eater but that you really loved this one fish. I think fish is like that for a lot of people. Get out there and experiment and you will find some amazing fish that will make you go wow over and over. Go into a good fishmonger or a Superquinn (I often find them more helpful than the smaller places to be honest!) and tell them you're not a real fishy fan but you want to try something. It is a food that is completely natural, free range and organic (that doesn't include the farmed stuff obviously!), is incredibly easy to cook (turn once under a hot grill) and is very, very healthy. If a company suddenly invented it they's by gazillionaires over night!

For what ever it's worth, my favourite fish is Turbot. Not as chaep as others but oh my god the taste....hhmmmmm

Advertisement