Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting English channels: Newbie Question

• 18-06-2006 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

This might be a stupid question, regularly asked, but I'm intested in getting bbc, Itv, Channel 4 etc. I don't want to pay monthly subscriptions and I believe that freeview wouldn't work (In Dublin).

I've seen in other threads that buying a second hand sky box from England with card etc is a good way of going about this but I wouldn't have a clue how to install.

I was wondering if there are any other methods of getting these channels or if it is easy to get someone to install the skybox?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

You can get everything apart from C4 & C5 using a FTA (free to air) satellite receiver. By going sky and using a UK FreeSat card you add C4/C5 and have the 7 day EPG.

Plenty of sat installers will put up and align the dish and run the cable. Most won't supply a 2nd hand skybox with freesat card but some might. They are easy to get on ebay though.

These are the people who did mine -
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/FreeToAirSatelliteSystems.html

299 including install for an FTA system. You could get him to put up a quad LNB and run 2 or 4 cables (that will be extra) then just simply plug in the Sky box/freesat card you buy on ebay - couldn't be simpler.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you're wanting Channel4, you'll need the Skybox and FTV viewing card. As pH says, the FTV cards (aka Freesat cards) are available on eBay etc.

The FTV card will also get you Channel 5 (now just known as five) and Sky Three.

Also, a Skybox will allow you to use interactive features like Sky News Active, and BBCi. BBCi particularly is very good. Interactive features do not work on FTA systems.

Just get a local installer to install a dish etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Idoubtit

Thanks alot, I appreciate your replies. I will probably do as suggested.

Just as a matter of interest (getting cheeky now), if I was to get sky digital installed, monthly fees etc, is it possible in any way to get ITV and Channel 4 which aren't offered in Ireland. Would this Freesat card work?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You can get ITV by just tuning the channel in manually.

For Ch4, you'd still need the Freesat/FTV card. Then to watch it, you'd have to swap your cards around depending on what you wanted to watch. Some do this, though it can be a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

Can anyone tell me with with a skybox and FTV card do you get the Sky EPG and what channels come in on it. For instance will you get those late night "babe" shows and if so can they be blocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

You get a load of channels, some of them total dross, including some of those awful babe shows. And child-proofing the box is easy enough - you put a PIN on the channels you don't want accessed. Be aware, though, that kids tend to remember your PIN better than you do ...

Advertisement