Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my next tattoo

Options
  • 18-06-2006 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

im going to get : “No caben a un hombre que no morirá por algo para vivir."
    or: "A man who won't die for something is not fit to live" on my shoulder most likely

does anyone know where i cud get the above lines translated into Gaelige?!?!? i like the spanish translation but id rather an irish one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Eh head to the irish forum and ask em, I used to be fluent but its gone down hill from a lack of speaking.
    Many sayings dont come out well in irish though...if ya get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

Wilburt wrote:
    Eh head to the irish forum and ask em, I used to be fluent but its gone down hill from a lack of speaking.
    Many sayings dont come out well in irish though...if ya get me?
    yeah i knw what u mean :/ i like the spanish translation tho, but being that i dont speak spanish it wud have no reason to be in that language

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Sm0ke wrote:
    yeah i knw what u mean :/ i like the spanish translation tho, but being that i dont speak spanish it wud have no reason to be in that language
    It would seem you don't speak Irish either.

Sean7 wrote:
    It would seem you don't speak Irish either.
    yeah, the fact that i am irish tho. dnt troll

cud sumone link me to the irish forum?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Sm0ke wrote:
    edited to remove flame

ahh you bottler. I thought I was going to see robot wars, bender v bender, but you edited your post. :(

Irish forum is under society ---> languages ---> Gaeilge

• Advertisement

clown bag wrote:
    ahh you bottler. I thought I was going to see robot wars, bender v bender, but you edited your post. :(
    lmfao why get banned over one word, only we will know the truth :p

ty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Jesus Christ Monkeyballs,
    The chap came on to ask for advice on a tattoo and as usual the idiots in the Tattoo/Piercings forum turn it into a flame-a-thon. Don;t you people have better things to do?

OP : sounds like a great idea, heres the irish forum : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Don;t you people have better things to do?

Nope.

Edit: Also, it might be just as good in English as Irish but because I'm nice I messaged my mate who speaks Irish to see if he can translate it. I can't really talk though, I plan to get a tattoo in Mandolorian.

Sean7 wrote:
    Nope.

Edit: Also, it might be just as good in English as Irish but because I'm nice I messaged my mate who speaks Irish to see if he can translate it. I can't really talk though, I plan to get a tattoo in Mandolorian.
    thats what i mean, i like how it sounds in spanish, when someone told me it. cud sound awful in irish :/

mandolorian as in the star wars language???? class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

A phrase like that is worthy of a klingon.
    It would be dishonourable not to get it tattooed in klingon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I have a suggestion, why not ask in the Gaelic forum if there is a phrase in Irish already that means the same thing? There has to be something there with our patriotic past.
    Translation is not always the way to go about things, especially when it comes to established "sayings".

clown bag wrote:
    A phrase like that is worthy of a klingon.
    It would be dishonourable not to get it tattooed in klingon.

Good Point
    Sm0ke wrote:
    mandolorian as in the star wars language???? class!

Yeah, it's Jango Fett/Boba Fett/etc.'s language. I have a translation guide from a woman who writes official Star Wars books and I got Mandolorian font from some guy on the net who wrote down every letter as it came up on the special edition dvd.

As for your translation my friend, the closest thing my mate can come up with is

"Fear nach maroidh é fein le haigh rud eigin ni coir do bheith beo"

Not very catchy but it's as close as he said he can get. Might not be a bad idea looking for a similar phrase in Irish as mentioned above. If I were you I'd go for the Klingon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

'An fear nach bhfaigheadh bás ar mhaithe le cúis, ní hairí air a bheith beo' is what I came up with

ergonomics wrote:
    'An fear nach bhfaigheadh bás ar mhaithe le cúis, ní hairí air a bheith beo' is what I came up with

Béarlachas, a horrible bastardisation of the Gaelic language whereby an English phrase is directly translated into Irish leaving the gaelgóir with a pain in their head.

Ask someone in the Gaelic forum if there is an equivalent in Irish that is melodic and phrased in Irish and not a direct translation.

There MUST be some proper patriotic phrases that fit that sentiment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I checked the irish forum and he posted a thread askin about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Béarlachas, a horrible bastardisation of the Gaelic language whereby an English phrase is directly translated into Irish leaving the gaelgóir with a pain in their head.

I am fully aware of what Béarlachas is, thank you very much. I don't mean to get my back up but I do think you could have been a bit more polite in response to my translation. For the record, I am a Gaelgóir myself but sometimes I have trouble translating from English into Irish because I find it hard to switch into the Irish grammatical constructs.

ergonomics wrote:
    I am fully aware of what Béarlachas is, thank you very much. I don't mean to get my back up but I do think you could have been a bit more polite in response to my translation. For the record, I am a Gaelgóir myself but sometimes I have trouble translating from English into Irish because I find it hard to switch into the Irish grammatical constructs.

I actually didn't spot that you were not the original poster, I wouldn't actually have been as impolite if I had not thought that we were already talking about this, for that I apologise, for my description of Béarlachas, I wont.

I thought the translation was good, so no sleight was meant on what you do know, I dont like the fact that it's an English saying being translated.

I was taught to hate Béarlachas so it got my back up, sorry.

I dont know the phrase but I'm pretty sure there is something that would fit aptly from an Irish perspective.
    The OP is the one needs convincing though really cos they'll have to walk around with it permanently.

the "Fear nach maroidh é fein le haigh rud eigin ni coir do bheith beo" one I told you is from a fluent Irish speaker, he went to Irish primary and secondary schools and I'd said it's as good as you'll hear in the Irish forum

Advertisement