Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Ibb Still That Bad????

• 18-06-2006 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im thinking about ordering ibb breeze 2mb for the purposes of gaming/downloading/browsing. I know I can get it because I can see the mast no problem and I am no more than a km from it.I cant get any form of dsl because I 6km from the local exchange. I think I may be able to get Nova Networks Broadband but I think the 139euro install fee is a bit steep.I cant get digiweb metro(I asked chaz to check my co ordinates).What Id like to find out from this poll is whether ibb are still as bad as ever. I have kept an eye on the complaints thread and there doesent seem to be too many people complaining anymore. Have you given up complaining or is the service now okay?

Also a quick qeustion...
    It says on the website that connection is free but does that mean installation is free?

I would like replies from current ibb customers only, I know that many people have left the company because of bad service in the past but those of you in this situation please do not vote. I am looking for current customers opinions only thanks,

Thanks for any replies,
    Regards,
    ab

Are Ibb Still That Bad??? 23 votes

Yes, the service is still useless
    0% 0 votes
    No, It is working fine
    100% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm in dublin with Ibb and I'm not going to bother telling you about what IBB have done to me in the past.

At the moment, I have lag spikes, high loss and pings of 140 to 90% of servers in the uk. And when the ping was better I still got the lag spikes and packet loss. So for gaming it sucks. But for downloading and browsing for multiple users its great if they give you the bandwidth. Thats if. I'm one of the few lucky one's in the Dublin who gets the full 2mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭geecee

As far as I'm concerned their accounts dept are still worthless...
    Was charged for 2 months subscription last month... still waiting on a refund...
    And i'm not even a customer of theirs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

I would never recommend these guys openly, however for the causual non technical home user who just wants to surf it would be fine providing that you never need to deal with customer service and expect periods of outage.That said if you know what a contention ratio is and you care if your ping times exceed 100ms then stay well clear of them because you will go mad mad mad, mooooooooooooooooo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

IBB's connection and and installation is free if you are on a residential contract.

There service is very good for me I have no complaints at all.

*Edit - I have used their customer phone support quite alot as I have been a customer of theirs for quite a long time and whilst it was not great in the past I have noted its got alot better in the last few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

IBB's connection and and installation is free if you are on a residential contract.

There service is very good for me I have no complaints at all.

*Edit - I have used their customer phone support quite alot as I have been a customer of theirs for quite a long time and whilst it was not great in the past I have noted its got alot better in the last few months

Do you have pings or traceroutes that you can post up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

This probably won't help, but in my experience i'd rather deal with trained monkies then their tech support. I mean, the staff get so many calls that they are demoralized and never call you back.

IBB, stay clear of them. They are imo are the worst BB provider in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I would say definitely yes. I signed on to their service and I've never experienced a worse internet connection in my life. Even dial-up was better than what I got from them. However, I later found out that not even Digiweb could get a signal from my place with an antennae on the roof so an IBB wireless modem was useless. When I rang their customer service they were worse than a bunch of untrained monkies. I even hopped on the Luas and delivered the modem back to them in Sandyford just to be rid of them ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

ZygOte wrote:
    I would never recommend these guys openly, however for the causual non technical home user who just wants to surf it would be fine providing that you never need to deal with customer service and expect periods of outage.That said if you know what a contention ratio is and you care if your ping times exceed 100ms then stay well clear of them because you will go mad mad mad, mooooooooooooooooo ;)

I wouldnt call myself a casual surfer, Im pretty techy allright, id want it for a bit more than just surfing incl Bf2 and a fair bit of downloading(atm im relying on friends to download stuff for me)And id definetly want pings under 100 because too far above that bf2 gets jerky and slow.And yes I know what contention ratio is :) . Ibb's would be pretty good if the service was up to scratch.ie 24:1 on a 2mb line
    It seems like the qos is pot luck - Its as if they give good service to a few people drawn from a hat:D Maybe I should try my luck, or maybe not.

I just dont know. I might just go ahead and order broadband from Nova Networks - www.novanetworks.ie. Its 139eu for installation
    and the download caps are a bit small but it seems like the only other option(and im not even guaranteed I can get this, I cant see the mast anyway)

If only eircom would upgrade to adsl2....(id be sorted, im just outside the 5km mark and adsl2 would reach me)

Also with Regards to their customer service I emailed them last friday and asked them a few questions about the service... I even asked them in a nice way if they have resolved the problems Ive read about here.......still waiting on a reply;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go with IBB if you are a gamer. It is simply a nightmare. You will be tearing your hair off with the lag/packet loss you'll experience! Download speeds are also very poor... I guess it's alright for browsing the web but then again a 56k modem is too...

AVOID

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go with IBB if you are a gamer. It is simply a nightmare. You will be tearing your hair off with the lag/packet loss you'll experience! Download speeds are also very poor... I guess it's alright for browsing the web but then again a 56k modem is too...

AVOID

Agreed, was asked not to play tonight by the opposing team because my high loss was causing me to jerk around the map. I agreed because it was impossible with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hi ab_cork,
    Out of interest what e-mail did you send it too? I have always found their info@irishbroadband.ie address to be good at replying, I think that goes to their Sale Dept, I know they dont work at wkend so if you sent it on friday maybe they didnt get to it yet.
    I used to have issues with my connection for gaming, the last couple of months (touch wood) have been pretty good, the odd occasional spike and down time due to maintainance (which we're warned about), but I can play wow, cs:s and VPN to work with it no probs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I had a slight problem with them last week. My route to a particular UK based server had been changed and my round trip times increaded from an average 25ms to about 120ms.. I gave them a ring and it was fixed within 3 working days.

I had a slight problem with them last week. My route to a particular UK based server had been changed and my round trip times increaded from an average 25ms to about 120ms.. I gave them a ring and it was fixed within 3 working days.

Thanks I was wondering who complained to get that fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

krazy_8s wrote:
    Thanks I was wondering who complained to get that fixed.

haha tis always me :) poor woman that was on the phone is all I can say.

Hi ab_cork,
    Out of interest what e-mail did you send it too? I have always found their info@irishbroadband.ie address to be good at replying, I think that goes to their Sale Dept, I know they dont work at wkend so if you sent it on friday maybe they didnt get to it yet.
    I used to have issues with my connection for gaming, the last couple of months (touch wood) have been pretty good, the odd occasional spike and down time due to maintainance (which we're warned about), but I can play wow, cs:s and VPN to work with it no probs

I used the form on the website, Just got a reply today, They must not have read the message at all because I said I can see the mast and that a neighbour has it and they came back and said I cant get it even though I know I can. Id say they only read the first few lines which said I live................. and thats all they read.
    Ah well, I think Im not going to bother, Im going to try nova networks first(www.novanetworks.ie) and if that dosent workout ibb are my only option:eek:

:rolleyes: The Poll is actually 50:50 the moment....18 happy customers, 18 unhappy ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭juddd

Over the past 2 weeks I have had no access to the internet, at times I would be able to go online only to loose connection after 20 mins or so, I thought it was my router causing the hassle but then I just plugged into the rip(off)wave modem directly and got access but after 20 mins or so I lost connection again, I would then have to restart the modem to get another 20 mins, so its not the router, so much for always on connection?
    I live in lucan facing the dublin mountains where there is an antenna on the top of the dublin mountains, so our house is in a prime location to receive a signal, you could not get a more direct line of sight.....I am not a happy bunny....I want to do an online course and now have to think twice due to poor connectivity....tch.

ab_cork wrote:
    :rolleyes: The Poll is actually 50:50 the moment....18 happy customers, 18 unhappy ones.

That about sums up Ibb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I have IBB breeze 1mb connection. Wireless, not in a box.

I play BF2 and D/L stuff.

My average pings to boards are 30ms. and when palying UK servers, I get an avg ping of 45ms.

I have had some outage, but only for a few hours every 3 months or so.

I am very happy with them, Oh and I live in Drogheda.

But they where my ONLY option!!!!

100th post :)

bubonicus wrote:

My average pings to boards are 30ms. and when palying UK servers, I get an avg ping of 45ms.

I have had some outage, but only for a few hours every 3 months or so.

I am very happy with them, Oh and I live in Drogheda.

But they where my ONLY option!!!!

100th post :)

Those are pretty good pings allright, Your a lucky customer, wierd thing is though is that most people only have problems with the 2mb package....MAybe I could chance the 1mb package....cheaper and better:D

• Advertisement

ab_cork wrote:
    Those are pretty good pings allright, Your a lucky customer, wierd thing is though is that most people only have problems with the 2mb package....MAybe I could chance the 1mb package....cheaper and better:D

Damn, I was thinking of getting of getting the 2mb line because the contention ratio is better, which should result in better pings(maybe). But I am still thinking of getting it and using blueface with it and getting rid of my eircom line for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Keep the eircon line until after you test voip through IBB as i've yet to find anyone happy with the quality of voip on any IBB product.

Keep the eircon line until after you test voip through IBB as i've yet to find anyone happy with the quality of voip on any IBB product.

I use MSN video, Skype video and Teamspeak at the moment with no problems.

Also ran hrping programme to simulate voip calls to the blueface server with good stable pings and very little packet loss. Well below recommended.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054905447&referrerid=59211&highlight=ibb+voip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

My IBB 2Mb connection is fine with Blueface. It is noticably better after their rerouting throuth the INEX. Calls to the UK now as good as old landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Antonius.Prime

bubonicus wrote:

Yeah Im down in cork (northside, dub hill) practicly camped on the churchfield mast and my pings ~ 30 - 60ms to a uk css server and about 80 on bf2.
    my only problem is that most of my torrents get to 75 ~ 90 % complete and hang. is IBB shaping for torrents?
    i mean i was getting a 500ish mb file today, got 99.9% of it dl'd and of the 600 odd seeds i got disconnected from the 3 that i got the 99.9% from and eta jumped to about 3weeks...
    this is the only prob i have with ibb, well aside from the customer abuse dept...

EDIT: srry, forgot im on 1mb breeze, yet have never gotten charged for going over cap.. wonder what thats about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm on the 2Mb Breeze. I got it about 2 weeks ago. So far it's been great. I use it for surfing, Skype & VOIPDiscount & torrents. The VOIP has been great. A couple of calls were a bit echoey but most are fine (standard VOIP stuff). For torrents I haven't had any problems with them sticking at 99%. I normally throttle my torrents as I don't want them hogging my line but when I've tested by unthrottling I've frequently been able to get up to > 200Kb/s up and down.

I don't know if IBB have gotten better or if I'm just lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

They are utterly useless. It is hit or miss though but its 90% miss.

Advertisement