Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McKenna quits.

Options
  • 18-06-2006 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

McKenna quits Limerick
    Sunday, 18 June 2006 10:58
    < name="im00006d1c">

Joe McKenna has resigned as Limerick hurling manager

In a shock development this evening Limerick senior hurling manager Joe McKenna handed in his resignation to Limerick county board chairman Denis Holmes, hours after the loss to Clare.

He was followed by coach Ger Cunningham, while trainer Dave Mahedy is considering his position.

Said Holmes: 'Obviously, Joe, like the rest of us, was disappointed with the level of performance against Clare and felt there was no more he could have done. We understand his position. We have convened an executive meeting for 6.30pm on Monday and will take it from there. We have two qualifying games left, against Offaly and Dublin, and believe we can still progress to the last eight. We would like to thank Joe and Ger Cunningham for the effort they put in.'

McKenna took over from Padjoe Whelehan in April of last year but despite qualifying for the semi finals of the NHL this season, they failed to beat any of the major hurling powers. Selector Liam Lenihan, who is vice chairman of the county board, is likely to take over on a temporary basis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Can't say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed in the way the season has gone, promised so much to deliever so little, just feel like we're lacking that one player could bring this team together and make them win again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If he hadn't walked, then it would have been right to sack him after that hammering.

I think GAA in general has suffered because of rugby in Limerick. I watched the football game last week and i felt so bored by half time. There was nobody at it and the score between cork and limerick was pathetic. something like 5 points to 9 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Without a shadow of a doubt Limerick GAA are making a compelling case for not opening the county grounds. Games like yesterday's will turn loads of kids off hurling, esp coupled with the HEC win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The limerick managers are always far too soft on the players. So we never get a team of dedicated players who would do anything to win.
    Every week when I go out I see Stephen Lucey out guzziling back pints like theres no tommorow. My brother was on the panel last year under Liam Kearns and didnt miss one training session and worked his arse off,not going out for 6 months,eating healthy etc. Half the footballers never turned up for training cos they were garunteed theri place and so werent bothered. This struck me last year of whats wrong with Limerick Hurling and football last when I was watching the gaa awards on tv and one of the tyrone players said that they could never be sure of their place so they had to give 150% every week and if they were seen out or missed training they were booted out.
    Limerick players are far too confident of getting their place in the squad week in week out so why do they need to bother giving 100%. Finally,we have a football manager in Mickey ned who makes changes and trys out new teams,which is what the county needs. Its fine when people like Johnny Mc Carthy gets his position every week cos he gives 100% in every match but a lot of the limerick players just give up.

Advertisement