Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Keyed in Rathmines on Sat Night

Options
  • 19-06-2006 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

So I woke up this morning very hungover and still wearing my clothes. It was a good night saturday but today was not looking so good. I watched the Japan Vs Croatia match, had a fry and a cup of tea and things were starting to look up.

I walked over to collect my car at my mate's gaff in Rathmines stopping off inside to watch the Brazil Vs Australia game. By full time I was feeling human again and well enough to drive home.

I loped down to where my car was parked on Observatory Lane, on the way into the Cricket grounds. I nearly cried when I saw my car (I'm a big guy, I don't cry). There was a huge scrape all the way down the driver's side. I went around the other side confident that no one would be callous enough to do both sides.

Not only had the fúckers done both sides but they had done the bonnet too. Given that I'm not much of a crying person the only thing I could do and the only thing I did do was go to the local Garda Station. The nice Garda there came out and had a look at the damage and wrote up a report.

I asked her if there was any chance of CCTV etc. and she said no. She said I would just have to go through my insurance. I'm not going to do that as they will only charge me for it over the next 50 odd years or so. I'm going to have to fork out to have Carcraft in Ballybough sort it out.

I was wondering would anyone kn ow of any CCTV that might cover Observatory Lane? It's in the map here: http://www.leinster.cc/images/maps/pages/zoom_2_jpg.htm

If so or you know anything else that might give the garda a chance of catching these pricks then I would be much obliged. It happened between 10pm Sat and 8pm Sun. Thanks.

Pictures here:
    http://spraoi.ie/CAR/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

Sorry to hear about that - looks like the little **********rs had a field day. Did you ask in at the houses beside where it was parked ? That sounds like your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Sorry to hear about that buddy. Same thing happened about a month ago to my car. And the worst thing is I suspect it was neighbours of mine, but I have no proof. Scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Sorry to hear about that buddy. Same thing happened about a month ago to my car. And the worst thing is I suspect it was neighbours of mine, but I have no proof. Scumbags.

burn them while they sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah ****, that's rough. Rathmines can seem like a nice area during the daytime but it becomes seriously nasty once the drunks come out.

What was the story with the CCTV anyway? Did she say no as in there was no CCTV coverage in the area, or no as in they wouldn't look at the CCTV footage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

"Scumbags" is right, unlucky .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Bastids.

To quote the lad from Pulp Fiction, "it would be worth them doing it again just to catch them..."

This is something that really pisses me off as you are paying so much for insurance yet the unfair system of tagging a claim like this onto your history deters you from ever actually making a claim. Hard to know who did this to your car, it's a little too calculated to be drunks if you ask me as I'd say they would be more likely to brake wing mirrors or dent doors and the like. I would be thinking scumbag kids upto no good, if found out you should have the power to torch their families cars with them watching :D

Would be interesting to know how much it will cost to fix if you can post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

ChityWest wrote:
    Sorry to hear about that - looks like the little **********rs had a field day. Did you ask in at the houses beside where it was parked ? That sounds like your best bet.

Those photos are outside my house. There is no entrance on observatory lane to the apts, just a wall and windows a level up.

The garda told me that a car had been damaged in the same place this week by a falling slate so they had already looked into CCTV on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭pa daly

Evil ****ing scumbags!!!

I know its bad but take heart because it could of been a LOT worse. I saw a car that had been keyed the other day and it looked as if the pricks had spent about 10 minutes doing it. All the side panels and bonnet had been destroyed with big circular motions...someone had it in for this guy!!!

Man I have a passat like you and if I was you I would look into getting a touch up marker just to make the scratches less obvious. Either that or enquire about claiming off your insurance it could work out cheaper in the long run...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Hard to know who did this to your car, it's a little too calculated to be drunks if you ask me as I'd say they would be more likely to brake wing mirrors or dent doors and the like.

Gotta agree, could it be any of the neighbours of your friend? Is there any grief going on there about parking spaces? Some people can get extremely pissed if someone takes "their space".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

dirty fu@kers... they should be shot.

you have two hopes with the guards.... and slim has just left the building.

gook luck on your hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Gotta agree, could it be any of the neighbours of your friend? Is there any grief going on there about parking spaces? Some people can get extremely pissed if someone takes "their space".

That was my first thought, someone got pissed off because of where you parked or something you did (like cutting someone off in traffic or flipping them off).

I can't think of a suitable punishment for people that key cars, as long as it's very painful and possibly lasting, I'm happy. Complete scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

my stereo worth 350 euros got robbed from my car from outside my apartment in royal canal park last nite at 4am
    ****in scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Last time I parked in Dublin (for one day) my car got broken into and everything taken out of it. I would think twice about bringing a car to Dublin, its much safer in Limerick - 25 years and not one incident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Were any of the other cars beside yours also keyed? If not I would have the neighbours in the frame. :mad:

My mate reckons those scratches are too deep for CarCraft? He reckons CarCraft are only good for touch ups and this is too deep for that.

TBH there is no one in that area that I could possibly think of having pissed off. It's across from Tramco night club so it could have just been one of the kids from there.

I'm not gonna consider the possibility of it being anything other than a random attack as that would just wreck my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hottstuff

The mouldy little spunkdrops!!!
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

That's sh1t, sorry to hear about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hate when f**ks do that, just checked front of car last week and big scratch on the fron just under the light, some sh*thead had backed into it, caused damage and drove off. Not really noticeable but some real *****rs out there.

Would love to catch a guy doing this. Just to do ................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

A lot of knackers around Rathmines at that time. I was in Rathmines on Wednesday and there was a crowd of at least 50 hanging around where you said you parked your car. I heard there was something happening in Leinster, but they could have been from Tramco as well. If so, maybe there was another group there on Saturday, and some guy thought he'd be cool showing off.

Don't think there's CCTV around there, maybe the bike shop on the corner? Also, Tramco might have one looking across the road, but not sure if that'd be any help. The houses beside the lane, well one at least as far as I know, has a window at the side, maybe they saw something?

Sorry I can't be of any more help mate. If I think of anything I'll let you know.
    ballooba wrote:
    Those photos are outside my house. There is no entrance on observatory lane to the apts, just a wall and windows a level up.

And I'll correct you there, there is an entrance onto Observatory Lane to the aparments, it's the only way into them :)

Tried to change the thread title but it didn't work. I'm looking for recommendations on where to get this fixed.

CarCraft in Ballybough is very highly spoken of around here but a mate suggested that the scratches might be too deep for them. He reckons they would only be able to do touch ups.

He said that I may need to bring it to a full on Body Shop. He recommended MG Auto Styling on JFK Drive.

Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

thats a low thing to do, a'right. Propper animals, imho. I had a poll here on Motor forum, asking if there EVER was a justification to key a car..... and thankfully noone said yes.

Hope you get sorted out. Chances of catching them are slim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I have a bloke who does that for a living (crash repairs). I can give you his number, he's usuallty a few hundred quid cheaper then the rest. PM me if you want his number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Hate that. I would hate for that to happen to me. Some scumbag damaged my car driving a truck in town last year and ran. The cops did nothing about it because I had no witnesses. At a stretch they could have taken the paint from the truck that was left on my car, gone to the truck in question, and matched the paint samples, but they didn't do that.

Remember the car you have might be scratched but you can get it fixed and you will come out of this ok. The people who did this to your car, on the other hand, are scumbags and once a scumbag always a scumbag. Where would you rather be ?

Thanks for trying to help Layke but I'm looking for guys who are good rather than cheap.

Want this fixed properly so that it doesn't rust and also that it is completely invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Sorry to hear about that man, same thing happened to me as well. Some fcuker keyed the passenger side of my car a while back. If I ever got my hands on them, I'd key their goddamn face:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

On the plus side car craft work miricals!
    I tore the left side of my passenger door and rear panel... YES TORE!
    Two days with car craft and a little over 600euro later it looked like this....

See pictures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

ballooba wrote:
    Thanks for trying to help Layke but I'm looking for guys who are good rather than cheap.

Want this fixed properly so that it doesn't rust and also that it is completely invisible.

I can vouch for him. He does the work on my car (and it's been needed in the past). But hey shop around, if you can't find anyone gimmie a holler.

Undercoverguy, that looked nasty and they did a nice job in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

Do you lose your NCB if you claim for vandalism?

Do you lose your NCB if you claim for vandalism?

According to my broker, yes.

My quote from CarCraft was €1000.

• Advertisement

On the plus side car craft work miricals!
    I tore the left side of my passenger door and rear panel... YES TORE!
    Two days with car craft and a little over 600euro later it looked like this....

See pictures!

How did the colour matching go? Would you notice?

Advertisement