Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

improve my 200m xpress card??

Options
  • 19-06-2006 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Can't change it. Get the latest omega drivers, improved my performance anyway. I can run Counter Strike Source on 800x600 with options on high at 30 frames per second. Not great, but not bad for an integrated card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Cant recall if the option is in the Omega drivers or not but somewhere should be an option to lower the texture filtering quality you will take a hit in image quality but gain some performance as well.

I could only get Battlefield 2 running on all low settings. Putting the resolution or quality up degraded performance to unplayable levels (>20fps).

I'm using the shared 128mb memory version of the xpress200 though so if you have the dedicated version (128mb dedicated + 128 hypermemory) you should be able to squeeze out 1024x768 with options on low and maybe view distance at 60%

Remember even the dedicated version of the xpress is a cut down x300 so no matter what you do with it, you aren't going to be able to run BF2 on anything other then low settings.

• Advertisement

Well I have checked out the Xpress 200m online and apparently its a common problem across the board that the card will be hit and miss with some games.

For example, I got it to run battlefield 2 smoothly, which needs 128mb vram minimum, whereas it runs Call of Duty super choppy, low framerate, which only needs 32mb gfx minimum.

Its been reported with alot of older games that they simply won't work properly, for whatever reason. I thought it was drivers but the latest catalyst drivers or the latest omega ones won't fix it.

Thankfully, I still have my desktop to run battlefield 2 on all high...:D

Xpress200 is still annoying me. It may be one of the best integrated cards out there at the moment on paper but in reality my friend with his crappy gma900 (!!!!) intel piece of crap is outperforming me at nearly every older game (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Wolfenstein, Generals)....with a celeron processor and 512mb ram :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

didn't want to start a new thread, but what difference to omega drivers make? i've got an x800GT, and the catalyst6 drivers.. everything works fine, but is there an improvement on FPS with omega versus catalyst?

I'm thinking at this stage of returning the laptop because the only reason I chose the x200 over the intel gma900 integrated was that it was the best integrated solution available and obviously I assumed it would handle older games alot better.....and here I am, my 750 euro sempron 3000 + 1gig ram laptop being outperformed by a 399 euro dell celeron with 512mb of ram. Its infuriating to say the least.

At least, its universal - I was getting paranoid it was just my laptop was borked somehow...

ps - omega drivers I find are better. Use them for my x800 as well and noticed a slight boost

• Advertisement

I'm trying to return mine today. Will see how the Manager at PC world takes this. I hope he actually knows something about computers and graphics card capabilities/requirements, otherwise he'll just fob me off with the "Ah now, you can't play games on this machine...." and treat me like I don't know how to turn on a PC :(

I got a Sony Vaio with a 128mb Geforce 6400 for a few quid extra, Pc World were great about it, better then I had hoped, they listened to the issue about opengl and all that and were great about it.

So I don't have to worry about the x200 anymore. Perhaps ati will address the issue in the shared memory version of the x200 in the future.....good luck nismo :D

Advertisement