Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2 years come and gone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I read it. It's well written and objective, but I don't think it necessarily applies only to WC. I taught in the Armed Forces (now there's a captive audience, if ever there was one) but I got the same lack of interest and grief as your teachers did. There are always some interested students, but unlike when I was going to school, they are now in the very small minority. Funny thing is, lots of these kids go on to 3rd level and wonder why they struggle. But of course, they can't be taken to task. Bullying. I have a friend who went to WC and he is the soundest bloke you could ever hope to meet, but of course that was in the 70's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Orionetheus

Mordeth wrote:
    umm....

Ummmmm

fact vs opinion.

Fact On average most schools (from what people tell me) have assembly once per week if even that

Opinion, WC is a load of balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

it's a shame you didn't know how kniving the south siders are, you should have read a Ross O'Carrol Kelly book before you came here, it would have you laughing about it all at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

^^^

What on earth did they say at all these assemblies? They used to struggle to come up with filler for the weekly ones in my secondary school.

simu wrote:
    ^^^

What on earth did they say at all these assemblies? They used to struggle to come up with filler for the weekly ones in my secondary school.

Sports results and Prayers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

did you hook up with any of those slutty chicks mentioned in the sunday world?
    if not, then i can see why you are whining so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

we had assembly about once a month tops at my old school

julep wrote:
    did you hook up with any of those slutty chicks mentioned in the sunday world?
    if not, then i can see why you are whining so much.

Since october 2005....I've had upwards of 25 women, they love my accent, and I'm not exactly an ugly fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

To the OP:

Really nice story there. I haven't read it all but I will over the next day or so. Bookmarked.

Anyway, I'm in pretty much the same situation, in Belvedere College though. You were talking about the other students making classes crappy? Well, one week about 3 months ago I was pissed off in the same way, so I decided to do a little study. For the next 5 school days I basically rated all of my classes out of 5 for their worth (the amount of knowledge and/or personal development I got from them). I don't have the paper at hand but I recall that the average "worth" of my classes that week (which were not in anyway significantly different from my classes of any other week) was about 1.9 out of 5. I think the highest average for any single day was about 2.3 out of 5. Bloody pathetic.

This little study of mine, though entertaining, didn't help me much, especially since I've been battling with the idea of quiting school for the past 2 years.

I agree with you about uniforms too, by the way. Though I think they can have a home in some schools. Schools that don't rely on such banal tactics to "educate" their students. Basically, the Irish school system isn't good enough for uniforms. Hell, if uniforms were so bloody great they'd have them in universities, but they don't, and they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

You should look into Starfleet Academy, you'd fit in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For what it's worth I agree with some of the points the OP raises:

- Our obsession with drink and the pub.

- Complete breakdown in discipline in a lot of schools.

- Outdated (and increasingly inappropriate given our new multicutural society) practises such as daily prayers still being performed.

- Lack of subject choice/subjects like Irish and Religion still mandatory.
    I lived in Holland for a few years when I was younger and over there most kids already have 2/3 languages whilst still in primary school. Religion is left to their parents to teach - IMO as it should be.

- Laziness and disinterest from some teachers.

Disagree with:

- Comments on uniforms. Whilst I never had to wear one in secondary school myself (or primary school in Holland come to think of it), I don't think they're as bad as made out. I don't buy into the "uniform appearance, uniform thinking" idea you suggest. It's definitely better than some of the alternatives.

- Your results. I agree that 4th year IS a waste (and an excuse for some employers to get cheap/free labour for a few weeks - at least that's how it was for me), and I agree that the whole situation of everything coming down to a few weeks of exams needs to be reformed. But you were there long enough to be able to adapt and get your head down to study.
    I was never much good at it myself, but I did enough to get into a course in college.

- Your point that "If a rule doesn’t make logical sense, I break it".
    Like it or not the rules are the rules. It's not up to you to pick and choose which ones you'll obey. What's the difference between this and your classmates disrupting class? Both are breaking the rules.

Your conclusions/recommendations do have some merit though. There does seem to be a general decline in the general standard of education in this country in the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just read your piece Orionetheus, have to say I enjoyed reading it and agreeing on a few points, of course, being Irish and being 'used to the system' I cant see it the same way you do, except for the whole 'drink' thing, I know how you feel on that one, most things revolve around drink here :rolleyes: .

I had a similiar experience in school too, ie the majority of the class being complete childish morons, more suited to being kept in cages (:D ) then released into a school class room where they proceeded on a daily basis to break doors, damage table and chairs etc..........in aid of what? I dont know.

Fair play to you for putting your opinions forwards, and good luck in the future ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

It's not so much dubliners, it's SOUTHSIDERS.

As I say in my writing piece (which no one seems to have read yet)

I've met more sound people on the NS than on the SS.

SS tend to be vain, arrogant, morally bankrupt, and stupid little clones of each other...(ever been to the Dundrum Shopping Centre on a Saturday afternoon?) Clones upon clones of little "d4" groups...
    OMG. How I hate southsiders. You are a genious that has made me realise that we need to have a kristalnacht for Southsiders in dublin - fair play to ya man (I never lived on the southside - I swear :p ) :rolleyes:

Do you want to be my Uberkapo then?:rolleyes:

See above - GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Sports results and Prayers

Wow. That's weird alright!

To the OP:

Really nice story there. I haven't read it all but I will over the next day or so. Bookmarked.

Anyway, I'm in pretty much the same situation, in Belvedere College though. You were talking about the other students making classes crappy? Well, one week about 3 months ago I was pissed off in the same way, so I decided to do a little study. For the next 5 school days I basically rated all of my classes out of 5 for their worth (the amount of knowledge and/or personal development I got from them). I don't have the paper at hand but I recall that the average "worth" of my classes that week (which were not in anyway significantly different from my classes of any other week) was about 1.9 out of 5. I think the highest average for any single day was about 2.3 out of 5. Bloody pathetic.

This little study of mine, though entertaining, didn't help me much, especially since I've been battling with the idea of quiting school for the past 2 years.

Funny you should mention that, I exploded at my chemistry teacher the day after I went to the library to study when she got on my case about skipping class to study.

We had been doing the same 15 page chapter for 2 weeks, and I basically told her that my education is my responsibility, not hers....that didn't go down too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I can't comment on wesley college because i've never attended the school but seeing as you've missed the simple concept behind uniform completely, i don't think i'll be holding your opinion very highly.

Your "paper" is lol, cya buddy!
    I have to question you on that one... what in your opinion is the "simple concept" behind uniforms??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Found your Myspace Orionetheus.

Kaiser2000 wrote:

- Your point that "If a rule doesn’t make logical sense, I break it".
    Like it or not the rules are the rules. It's not up to you to pick and choose which ones you'll obey. What's the difference between this and your classmates disrupting class? Both are breaking the rules.

It becomes subjective, kids should be RELATIVELY quiet in class...

but my skipping assembly to sleep an extra 10 minutes or skipping a class to study (even one with a substituite) is severely justified

Since october 2005....I've had upwards of 25 women, they love my accent, and I'm not exactly an ugly fellow.
    ahh. there's that humility you spoke of.

qz wrote:
    Found your Myspace Orionetheus.

Not that hard, I gave you my email address at the bottom of the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

harboggles wrote:
    she had to make the best of a bad situation with only half the class speaking English fluently.
    ROFL. F**king skangers.

=-=

As for being expelled for dying his hair, what do you expect from elite school snobbery?

=-=

OP, goto a public school next time. The kids can talk loud, as they'll get away with it. Why? 'Cos their daddy pays the school lots of money. The teachers have to ignore the loud kids, teach, or they get sacked. In the "public" non-fee-paying schools, the kids have to STFU, or they'll get in trouble.

Basiclly, a fee-paying school may have the best teachers, but a non-fee-paying school has good teachers who don't have to take sh|t from the students.

I have to question you on that one... what in your opinion is the "simple concept" behind uniforms??

So as people aren't discriminated against because of what they wear or what they can afford.

You should look into Starfleet Academy, you'd fit in.

Indeed I would if it existed. But how does that contribute to this debate?

julep wrote:
    ahh. there's that humility you spoke of.

Theres a thin line between confidence and arrogance. This is confidence.

It is a FACT(if you believe my word, that I have had more than 25 women (I stopped counting). The only logical assumption is that I am good looking and they always tell me they like my accent. These are proper How-Do's in public not grinding in a nightclub waking up the next morning next to them.

It was a joke, like this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Hey Wes, I really don't think you should be angry at Wesley college.

It is possible to do well at school here, its been done, its being done, it will continue to be done. Saying that however, yes, the schools in Ireland is a complete joke. Anyone I've ever spoken to above average intelligence thats gone to school here knows this. The school system is backwards really, and they're made more unbearable because you mix in the most horrible immature aspects of Irish culture.

Mandatory religion in school is atrocious.

Anyway, yeah, I think you should be pissed off about coming to Ireland in the first place, most schools here are like that. I don't think Wesley wastes more time than other schools, in my school theres a solid 2 hours wasted every week(3 religion classes and 1 P.E. class). Thats not including half days, messing in class, teachers giving out to messers, teachers giving out to the entire class because of 2-3 messers, teachers regularly not being in...does anybody know if the school hires the substitutes who come into your class when the teachers arent in? Or is it the goverment? Because in my opinion the people who come in are generally power-hungry bullies, not fit to be part of the human race yet alone attempt to teach the future of this country.

It is a FACT(if you believe my word, that I have had more than 25 women (I stopped counting). The only logical assumption is that I am good looking and they always tell me they like my accent. These are proper How-Do's in public not grinding in a nightclub waking up the next morning next to them.
    i've said it before and i'll say it again. teenagers are funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I dont normally feel the need to insult on message boards and im going to resist temptation this time too but the fact i even feel the need tells me a lot!!!

God help you when you actually encounter problems in your life :)

Kazaanova wrote:
    Hey Wes, I really don't think you should be angry at Wesley college.

It is possible to do well at school here, its been done, its being done, it will continue to be done. Saying that however, yes, the schools in Ireland is a complete joke. Anyone I've ever spoken to above average intelligence thats gone to school here knows this. The school system is backwards really, and they're made more unbearable because you mix in the most horrible immature aspects of Irish culture.

Mandatory religion in school is atrocious.

Anyway, yeah, I think you should be pissed off about coming to Ireland in the first place, most schools here are like that. I don't think Wesley wastes more time than other schools, in my school theres a solid 2 hours wasted every week(3 religion classes and 1 P.E. class). Thats not including half days, messing in class, teachers giving out to messers, teachers giving out to the entire class because of 2-3 messers, teachers regularly not being in...does anybody know if the school hires the substitutes who come into your class when the teachers arent in? Or is it the goverment? Because in my opinion the people who come in are generally power-hungry bullies, not fit to be part of the human race yet alone attempt to teach the future of this country.

Read the entire thing :-)

I forgot one other thing, my RE teacher (RE twice a week btw) wrote on my report that my Apathy (my athiesm) stopped my progress in class, I walked into class one day and said with a big smile "here I am apathetic as usual" as a joke.

I was ejected and given a DT.

I had PE for 3 periods a week RE 2 periods Film studies

Classical studies (my teacher taught maybe twice a week)

English (loved my teacher) took us 6 months to read macbeth...

etc etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

So as people aren't discriminated against because of what they wear or what they can afford.

Right, so you honestly believe anyone attending Wesley College would have that issue, or would be financially unstable such that they couldn't afford better clothes/shoes than the average person? You don't have much to contribute to this thread do you?

@OP

I read your blog, fair read, some fair points. But you will find it's not just that school, not by a long shot. I attended Mount Temple Comprehensive for my last year after five years in a private school (which I also detested) and had the best school year of my life. Sure, being inner city there were a fair share of "scumbags" but being a public school the ones that caused any real trouble were booted out on their arse's so it wasn't to bad.

Oh, and it had no uniform.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement