Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2 years come and gone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

No other school in Dublin wastes more time on assembly than WC...

I had assembly every morning from 8.40 - 9.05

I don't see the big problem, i dealt with it anyway.

It's a pity you had a rough time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

the_syco wrote:
    ROFL. F**king skangers.
    OP, goto a public school next time. The kids can talk loud, as they'll get away with it. Why? 'Cos their daddy pays the school lots of money. The teachers have to ignore the loud kids, teach, or they get sacked. In the "public" non-fee-paying schools, the kids have to STFU, or they'll get in trouble.

Basiclly, a fee-paying school may have the best teachers, but a non-fee-paying school has good teachers who don't have to take sh|t from the students.

Thats complete nonsense. I've been in about 2 dozen classes that have been completey wasted when a teacher had to threaten to leave the class to get the principal, leave the class, get the principal, have the principal lecture us, repeat. Actually yeah, I was exagerating but 24 wasted classes because of 2-3 retards in my school I always seems to be thrown in with seems about right. Thats a scary figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

OP is obviously a dumbass* and isn't old enough yet to stop generalising everything because of the way some things happen.

*maybe harsh but OP has an attitude imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

X-SL wrote:
    OP is obviously a dumbass* and isn't old enough yet to stop generalising everything because of the way some things happen.

which is what got his emo pink haired ass kicked out of school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Regardless of the school, private or not its still one of the concepts behind uniform. There are others then, school presentation etc.

atsign fade_2_gay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Orionetheus

X-SL wrote:

Havent you noticed that the people who do as their told dont get anywhere in life? My attitude is calculated to (most of the time) get what I need.

I've talked myself out of detentions dozens of times by chanigng attitude.

Furthermore, you have to generalise in life, because politicans do it, whatever politicians do affect us the people and hence you can somewhat step into their shoes. I'm not completely generalising, im not in a position to, i'm blonde hair blue eyed slightly over weight american.

But calculated segments of the population have certain traits IE most people on the southside make more than 40,000 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Okay, read it all (it was shorter than I thought at first), it's very good and hopefully a lot of the right people in Wesley College will read it without just putting in their denial file (oh, that rhymes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Regardless of the school, private or not its still one of the concepts behind uniform. There are others then, school presentation etc.

atsign fade_2_gay
    You are impressively immature aren't you? Do you feel bigger when you try to insult someone you don't know anonymously?

julep wrote:
    which is what got his emo pink haired ass kicked out of school

I dyed it temp. on the last day.
    I hate emo's. Dont even start on me with them. Their subculture sickens me. (infairness they have produced some cute girls)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You went to a horrible school with rich kids. Of course you hated it.

Also, the drinking age is lower and less stringent, we are well used to our drink. I don't doubt your college life in America will be the same.

I hope you left Dublin during your stay there? Or else your just like the rest of the D4 hating population. Trust me, you aren't alone, and you definatly didn't experience Ireland.

• Advertisement

I got around, Cork waterford limerick mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you haven't seen carlow, you haven't seen Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

You let a snobby school ruin your entire view of Ireland which seems a bit childish. I went to a snobby school i didn't like, so i changed and loved the finishing years. I know you probably didn't have that luxury, only being around for the senior cycle but to base your whole outlook of a country on the students and runnings of one school is ridiculous. Yes the southside is littered with one track,narrow minded clones, and unfortunately you got stuck in the middle but D4 isn't Ireland. It's only a temporary image, populating a small area of Dublin, that has come and will go. It doesn't define anything.

You're taking life too seriously and crippling yourself by not getting out and enjoying Ireland. There is a lot more behind education then just books and equations and it looks like you're missing it. Slagging and Drinking are indeed a culture shock, but one which can be easily overcome and even enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mordeth wrote:
    *crashes an airplane into the thread*

Heh, y'know, I don't think there'll ever be a time when that stops being funny. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aw.. you mean I wasn't the first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Who Gives A ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Mordeth wrote:
    if you haven't seen carlow, you haven't seen Ireland

Never a truer word spoken :D:D (you were being serious, right? :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

to the OP i was listening to the radio and it said a student was turned away from an exam center in wesley college(you perhaps) for the colour of his hair
    now i must point out that exams are out of the schools control and you should have been allowed site them as its a state exam and nothing to do with the school except it being in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

ahhh I remember this... This was me 2-3 years ago (1st + 2nd year) lol... I just laugh about it now... If you want these things you argue about to stop, and for things to run alot more smoothly and in your favour.., you've got to realise one major thing, and with all your intelligence I'm suprised you have'nt figured it out yet... Teachers are humans too... You piss them off, eg. by exploding at them in the middle of a chemistry class, they will hate you for it, you attempted to humiliate them in front of your friends(and dont think for a second you would act in the same manner if you were the only person in the school) and they're gonna try burn you for it, this includes nailing you for skipping assembly, classes, talking in class, ANYTHING.. Have'nt you realised yet that the biggest nerds in your class get away with any talking or just general messing about? This 'logic' (which I know is mostly pendanticism) that your arguing with isnt going to get you **** with a teacher that thinks your a prick...aghh this thread is so dumb I cant be arsed discussing it all.. il just leave you with a checklist that should cover most points:
    • You have no affect on ANYBODY or ANYTHING..
      None of your efforts will have any affect on the teachers, the teaching system, your lessons, Ireland, anything... all your whining will do is halter your own progress in every sense.. If you actually care so much cared about your education to the extent that you claim, you wouldnt have these problems.. you would be doing the work in the same way as all the nerds in your class right? They'r getting straight a's ,why arent you? why are you struggling so much with a system others find laughable, are you not intelligent enough? Whats wrong? You may not realise but there was somebody like you last year,and the year before, as there will be next year, and year after.. You are not different, you are not profound and groundbreaking in your bull**** and arrogant efforts...You are the manotony of which you hate.
    • Nobody respects you or what your doing
      The people that tend to agree with you... let me guess, none of them arent getting in as much trouble as you are they? and if they are.. not for the same reasons... These people dont respect you or what your doing.. I bet you've been called the 'class clown' by teachers before right? and probably thought it was stupid.. well thats what you are, all your pals,they only agree to the extent that any person hates work, school, teachers... Most of it is just prompting because they know that soon enough you wil argue with a teacher again, and they'l get a kick out of it..
    • You ARE arrogant, extremely... :p
      You seemed to think, that the opinions of a immature 16-17 year old deserved their own blog... then pimped your blog on this forum to further its publicity as thought it was something worth our attention instead of the steaming pile of crap that it is...

• You will realise how much you love ireland once you leave.
      The nostalgia will hit you like a ton of bricks, let go of all the bul**** and just start trying to enjoy the time you have left here.. I guarantee that in less then a week after your departure from our emerald isle you will start to miss everyone and everything of wesley,and your time here... You will miss the humour, even the drink related humour no a monday morning..
    • Stop trying to prove yourself to us...
      Dont tell people you get lots of women and are good looking, its you trying to justify your actions and behaviourisms to people, meaning you care about what people(on the internet) think, meaning your insecure... women dont like insecurities..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

To the OP:

- Congratulations on thinking for yourself.

- You're a good writer.

- I know Americans who rate the quality of education in, and interaction of students in top level Irish universities as significantly worse that mid-level universities in the states. They've told the same story you have about participation and the quality of teachers. Based upon my experience, I'm inclined to agree, so it's lucky I was confident enough to teach myself about many of the things I wanted to know

- The aspects of school that can lead to many people becoming ignorant and less able to think for themselves, can be described as... "citizenship training".

- Now that you're done with school, hopefully you can choose pursuits and paths that lead you somewhere worthwhile.

- You made me laugh outloud when you said "The entire school is an epiphany of closemindedness and ignorance..."

- The obsession with drinking disconcerting, as it's only smart if you don't have better alternatives, and when you do, it's just not so smart.

(Remember that alcohol temporarily changes a persons neurochemistry, so if they've been trained to act as socially compliant sheep and live inside a box, alcohol temporarily dissolves that box, and they get high on chemical liberation). It's just as disconcerting as you grow up, and luckily, there are more alternatives and it's easier to find and hang out with kindred spirits and open minded people outside of school.

- Live in Ireland for long enough, and you may conclude that swathes of the population, decent as many are, live in a permanent kind of denial (as a coping mechanism to deal with religious influences), in many aspects of society, too many decision makers live by philosophies like "it's grand", which roughly translates to them not being particularly thorough or having particularly high standards, and misunderstanding their performance is mediocre (and that has implications) compared to other countries who uphold higher standards

- You'll probably enjoy to participate in something like:

www.takingITglobal.org

- Remember, you are just 17, which means you are very confident about your opinion and observations in the world (which is good) and at the same time, some aspects of the world that don't make logical sense (to you) often have logic behind them, because they are based upon the wisdom(?) of some people who've been alive for three times and more longer than you.

- As the saying goes, "Don't let your education get in the way of your learning". And I'll add to this: personal freedom and power comes easier when you rely only upon yourself to learn about what you want to know in the World.

What do you think of these:

www.exam-tips.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bye now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Harboggles
    I ended up never studying for exams, and still managed to pull decent grades out of my sleeve

I don't think I've spoken to an American who doesn't get all A's and B's... Might be somethin in that.

They're probably all just really smart :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

"My coming to Ireland ruined my education or at the least (I should have said this upfront) put it in an extremely awkward position (rock and a hardplace?) . There's not enough work. Ever read an essay from a kid around Dublin? They aren't very pleasant to read, according to my english teacher (former anyway)"

Well we all were , at one stage or another, writing them essays in school. Admitted, mine were probably as unpleasant as the next kid but look at us now. A vibrant country, high employment, celtic tiger etc etc etc enticing AMERICANS ( even YOUR OWN MOTHER) to come work in this ****hole of a country. I can't comment on Wesley but i always was under the impression that them schools ( i.e. Blackrock, Wesley etc) were like you say they are but you seem an intelligent guy, why didn't you change school??????
    Personally, school were the best days of my life and never experienced anything like you've mentioned.

Seeing as you've have tarred everyone with the same brush and have generalised to beat the band, let me do the same.
    Would you rather go to school wearing a uniform, get called for assembly and sit at a desk full of graffiti or

Go to school and fear getting chased around the canteen by a gang of lunatics with AK47's. ( Please remember i am generalising)

Sorry you didnt enjoy Ireland and hope you get rid of that boulder off your shoulder sometime soon!!
    Slan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

7. I am fine with drinking, I am NOT fine with the first question being asked upon monday morning "rite wez did u get pissed this weekend" before a "Hi"

Oh that must be really annoying for you. Surely that ruins your day completly. Personally upon hearing that, I'm surprised you had to courage and dedication to stay, and not just go home.*

*Where you live, not America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

American guy... get over yourself. You just sound like another annoying, attention seeking American.

I often wonder why Americans can't just keep their mouth shut...

OP, you're 17. I know at 17 you think you have all the answers, but the reality is you don't know **** at 17. Reread your comments here in 10 years and you'll cringe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

choice quote..
    I was an A-B student in America, I did all my homework, I was friendly to all my teachers, and I didn’t have a scratch on my conduct record. I listened to my parents, I never lied to them. I was your all American goody two shoes. As of Easter ‘06 my grades are 5 D’s and 4 C’s. While I do have an armload of legitimate excuses,

All that tells me is that the Irish educational system is harder then the US one and for most of your bad results all you can think of as to why they are wrong is "excuses" and based on your comments of your outbursts appears you have a problem more then the school does.

Its funny because through your blog you go on about how better you are then other students in your class yet claim you get bad results because "you have to memorize facts".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Bye now!

I've got a degree. It was free. (mostly)

Got free second level education, from a GOOD public school (and on the SOUTHSIDE to boot... basing your opinion of the southside on a saturday in Dundrum and a bad experience in one of the worst schools in the country* ,that's just stupid)

*look at the stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ah, thats Ireland for you, we're stuck with it, for a while at least, the system that is.

One has to adapt to one's environment, work the system in your favour.

it's colour not color, autumn not fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I read your report about Wesley College and here are my comments (I live up the road from Wesley College by the way but I am not associated with the school) :

1. Your grammar is all over the place making it quite hard to read. I am guessing English isn't one of your better subjects however the fact that you took the time to write it is commendable.

2. You were transplanted into a strange country at an age when you really needed continuity in your education and with your friends. It must have been very hard on you as you found yourself in unfamiliar territory. No surprises there. I would have been amazed if you had a good experience as a result of this. I think you age and the timing of he move was a big factor in you not having a good experience.

3. You didn't fit in with your peers at school. I put this down to cultural clashes. You have a completely different background to them and it seems as if you expected to get on with them and then were hurt and surprised when you didn't. You didn't share their sense of homour and had little interest in drinking, which I think is a really good thing about you.

4. Your remarks about school rules are a bit pointless. That is the way the school is run. Uniforms, no leaving grounds at lunchtime, assembalies(sp?) are meant to instilll order and discipline, (although they dont always work), but that is what your parent(s) signed you up for. It seems to be completely different to how american shools are run but hey, this isn't america. Get over it. Some teachers are good, some teachers are bad. Wow, a revelation. Our school system is different to yours. Many of us managed to get good results and cope with all the problems you raised. Its by no means a perfect system - you got used to the one you had in the US, you didn't cope very well with the one over here. That doesn't mean the one we have here is crap. It just means you didn't cope with it.

"...I was expelled from Wesley College. Why? As a prank I coloured my hair pink for the last day in school, as a joke. It was washable, and I brought a hat should I create controversy somehow….Now I didn’t know that it was an expendable offence or else I would not of done it…it shouldn’t be…obviously as it borders racism (expulsion because my hair is the wrong colour?) How does my hair being a different colour affect my exam taking skill?"

5. You dyed your hair and got expelled. You broke the rules. You knew there would be consequences, yet you somehow thought it would be seen as "contraversial" and it wasn't. It was seen as breaking the rules and you were punished. Did you expect some special treatment that you didn't get? Did you think you were special and should have been looked up to for being so daring? By the way, how is it bordering on racism? They didn't expell you because your hair is the "wrong colour" (btw this would not be racism if they had), they expelled you because they have rules and you broke them. Again, get over it.

You are a teenager with opinions and you have a means of expressing them through your blog. I think you are intelligent and its a pity the school system here didn't offer you more of what you wanted to get out of it.

You didn't adapt to the system here and failed to do well as well in your exams as you possibly could have done. Instead of blaming everything under the sun for this, why not focus your efforts on your studies and try to make up for some lost time. I am sure you learned some hard lessons about life and about yourself from living here and that is probably more valulable to you than anything you could have learned in school anyway.

Good luck with your future studies.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

What I meant by the previous quote that you used anto is that those select people that did agree with me I found to be open minded, and smart. They still followed the rules etc...but protested where they could...

Are you sure you just were not finding them open minded and smart simply because they were agreeing with you???

You basically say that one of your problems with Wesley is the students, who surround themselves with clones and yes men.....

....and then you seem to do the same.

Ironic to say the least.

Quite frankly, i want to give your whole attitude and "paper" a good long reply, as i feel it's important to do so, but i don't have time right now, give me and hour or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement