Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2 years come and gone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

*falls out of chair laughing*

Have you gone to school in America? Don't assume.

And have you gone to every school in America, or every school in Ireland.

Your the one working off assumptions my arrogant friend.

Jesus will you either get over yourself or F*ck off home as quick as you can!!!

I feel sorry for your Ma to be honest, she should have left you behind i think.

I love the way you judge a whole country based off your two years in school...and despite "having met nice people outside of school" you insist on tarring them with the same brush as well.

Makes me think i should start judging America based on the ramblings of an insecure 17 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

It actually gets better and better
    I’m smarter (I know I sound quite arrogant) than many kids in my school, but I’m not smart enough to memorise facts and spit them up on paper (American system vs. irish system is way different) and my report wasnt very good (5 d’s and 4 c’s) yet it was only based on like 2 assignments and effort…only grades that matter are the final exams

But then we find it's not the american system either?
    I got my SAT scores. 980/1600 save for writing score. Not bad, but not good. I was 20 marks away from getting 50 euro from my dad

And then we have the "logical" response to religous education in Ireland
    Wow, what a “rebelious” week for me 3 detentions. 2 of which were evaded.

The first one was for not going to RE 2 weeks ago and leaving school **** that ****, I’m not going to RE to learn how to forgive people, forgiveness cannot be taught in a classroom, it must be experienced, unfortunately the teacher doesn’t know that.....

....The third was for not going to RE this week, I instead went to the library to work on my massive Alternative Fuels project. He gave me a 500 word essay on Tyranny in Irish Schools and a letter of apology.

Wowsers, what a theologian. But hold on, it actually gets even more ridiculous - the hard man here decided to post up his "apology" letter.
    My letter of apology read,

“Dear Sir,

I’m sorry I had better things to do than watching videos in class and talking about my feelings, my education came first and I prioritised my large project over your class. I’d do it again in a heartbeat because my education is more important than my morals. I’ll say hi to Satan on the way down for you.

Sincerely,

Wesley Harbaugh”

Schweeeeet. It’s gotten to the point where I can endlessly **** with teachers. I just need to get through my exams this summer

You deserve a swift kick up the arse

It would seem that our dear Wesley is really just a delusional young man. Just checked with a mate of mine from New York ( living over here a little while now ). In answer to the question "what would be an average score in the SAT's dude" he asked "Why?"

I show him the thread and he laughs "Dude, 1100 or so would be average, sub 1000 is pretty ****ing poor to be honest.....no wonder he hates the Irish School system!!!!!"

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Orionetheus

Ha yeah, the SAT's were harder than I anticipated, I studied my ass off for them (even ordered study guide matierials) when I got the results and didn't do too hot. But I havent been in the correct maths clasess.

Most kids get sub 1000 on their first try on the SAT's. 2nd try I'm expecting upwards of 1100.

Hopefully I'll do better this september, I havent done half the maths on the SAT. I'm correcting that this summer with Summer School.

• Advertisement

jimi_t wrote:
    You deserve a swift kick up the arse

I didn't actually write that, but it's what I'd liked to of said.

It ended up being "Dear sir, Sorry I had something better to do with my time"

They never even read it. I never heard about the incident again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

well in fairness he mentions he doesn't have the writing one yet and that goes from 200-800 points. so his final score would 1180-1780

Which if he was to ace the writing part then he would slightly above average.
    Most kids get sub 1000 on their first try on the SAT's. 2nd try I'm expecting upwards of 1100.

Checked online and the average score is 1,500.

Ha yeah, the SAT's were harder than I anticipated, I studied my ass off for them (even ordered study guide matierials) when I got the results and didn't do too hot. But I havent been in the correct maths clasess.

So basically on your first try you were sub average, the second try you hope to be average.....and yet your claiming to be smarter that most of the kids in your school???

Man, i'd say it's fun after gym class watching all you guys trying to figure out how to tie your laces. God bless Clarkes vlecro strap sandals eh???? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Orionetheus, you do know that people have had to deal with worst than what you deal with in Irish schools, and have came out of it much better than you have? It seems like you're just bitter because you didn't do as well as you thought you would and because you got expelled.

Hobbes wrote:

Checked online and the average score is 1,500.

I don't believe that for a moment. That's rediculous

Thats like saying the avg. LC score is 575.

• Advertisement

You fail to address the issue here and still refuse to accept the blindingly obvious. You blame your poor grades on the irish education system first of all, but then when you do just as badly in the american system there's another excuse - blaming your poor results on "not being in the correct maths classes".
    I’m smarter (I know I sound quite arrogant) than many kids in my school

You have blamed the Irish education system, Irish culture and the Irish people for your many and varied shortcomings.

I think it's really about time you got a grip on reality.

Checked again..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAT#Raw_scores.2C_scaled_scores_and_percentiles

Old SAT system the top mark is around 1500. 1100 would put you at 72 percentile, which is only marginally above average (hardly a genius).

If you were using the new SAT scoring system 1100 would put you around the 30 percentile.

Did you sit the DAT? I did, got 97 percentile average. :p

I didn't actually write that, but it's what I'd liked to of said.

It ended up being "Dear sir, Sorry I had something better to do with my time"

They never even read it. I never heard about the incident again.

So you were lying on your blog to act all cool and then posted it on boards looking for acclamation?

This is getting sadder and sadder

Thats like saying the avg. LC score is 575.

The LC is not the same as the SAT. In Ireland the DAT (if it still exists) would be on par with the SAT. For example in the DAT you don't need to know history or geography, they are all questions to determine your IQ (or there abouts).

Hobbes wrote:
    well in fairness he mentions he doesn't have the writing one yet and that goes from 200-800 points. so his final score would 1180-1780.

Nah, you're looking at the new style SAT which is out of 2400 - the one he's doing is out of 1600 which means that a score of 1780 is impossible
    Hobbes wrote:
    Checked online and the average score is 1,500

Which explains this

jimi_t wrote:
    You fail to address the issue here and still refuse to accept the blindingly obvious. You blame your poor grades on the irish education system first of all, but then when you do just as badly in the american system there's another excuse - blaming your poor results on "not being in the correct maths classes".

There are so many problems with this statement.

American maths and Irish Maths classes differ on many levels for starters a small example being names (IE surds AKA radicals)

I haven't had a "stable" experience in upbringing for my grades to be compared. Most life in America, 2 yrs in the states.

I'm not blaming my bad grades on the irish system, nor am I saying the irish system is bad, I'm saying Wesley College is bad IN MY OPINION. I'm blaming them on me. It's my fault okay? I should have put in an extra hour of study, I've worked my ass off.

And when I say I'm smarter......there are a few girls in my school that come particularly to mind, they say that they get their 80's and 70's on their exams, but they're actually the thickest stupidest people I've ever met. They can memorise things in a book but they can't think....there are many kinds of "intelligence"

jimi_t wrote:
    Nah, you're looking at the new style SAT which is out of 2400 - the one he's doing is out of 1600 which means that a score of 1780 is impossible

Which explains this

Ah right! That explains it. I had my writing one as well I cant recall my score. We mostly did these SAT's to evaluate where I stand for going back, I could get my Maths grade up another 200 points now as I've studied and learned more.

Most kids in the states just use the old measurement out of 1600.

Hobbes wrote:
    The LC is not the same as the SAT. In Ireland the DAT (if it still exists) would be on par with the SAT. For example in the DAT you don't need to know history or geography, they are all questions to determine your IQ (or there abouts).

I know that, but my point was that 1500/1600 = 550 on the LC

It's being amazing at it.

....there are many kinds of "intelligence"

Indeed, and you seem to be unable to show yours in either the American or the Irish school system, or on the internet.

Now what does that tell you? ;)

Dragan wrote:
    Indeed, and you seem to be unable to show yours in either the American or the Irish school system, or on the internet.

Now what does that tell you? ;)

The SAT's are not the entireity of the american school system. I havent shown jack **** in the American one except for 1 year of A-B grades.

the Irish system doesn't work for me.

How have I failed on the net?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Dragan wrote:

I think this is the nub of the ops problem. He thinks that he is intelligent but that isnt being reflected in his exam results. People therefore think he isnt inteligent and he feels frustrated because he feels that the yardstick by which he is being measured (ie the LC) isnt a good indication of intelligence.

Would that be a fair summary Orionetheus?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DiscoMouse

The OP's personality flaws aside, I'm with him on his estimation of our fine peoples. Mind if I stow in your luggage? :D

Kazaanova wrote:
    Orionetheus, you do know that people have had to deal with worst than what you deal with in Irish schools, and have came out of it much better than you have? It seems like you're just bitter because you didn't do as well as you thought you would and because you got expelled.

I'm bitter because I hate redundancy. The rule enforcers of the school go against everything I was brought up to believe. Need I say more?

I enjoy learning. And I make a serious effort at it.

I'm not blaming my bad grades on the irish system, nor am I saying the irish system is bad, I'm saying Wesley College is bad IN MY OPINION. I'm blaming them on me. It's my fault okay? I should have put in an extra hour of study, I've worked my ass off.

Thats a slightly different tune from the one on your blog
    While I do have an armload of legitimate excuses, I do take personal responsibility for my grades as the only problem is this is an exam based system which means I actually need to study have several objective reasoning’s on what is wrong with the classes here.

God forbid you might actually STUDY for exams! And yet you blame flunking the irish education system on a number of different factors - none of them your shortcomings - i.e. the standard at teaching @ wesley, your fellow students, the school books, the irish education system in general
    I'm not blaming my bad grades on the irish system, nor am I saying the irish system is bad,

Eh, well actually you are - hence the long winded "The Fixes" section on your blog

I actually feel kind of sorry for you on one level, you obviously got a bit of a ****ty time in Wesley
    From Blog wrote:
    it was the loneliest two years of my life in Wesley College, despite being a completely friendly open person, outsiders seem to be exceedingly frowned upon. I had a few friends, but no one I really clicked with completely…no one I trusted completely, furthermore these “friends” never invited me out outside the school, the, “slagging” also I received as an American was insurmountable. Even my teachers made fun of me at one point or another

But, if the activities you describe in your blog are anything to go by, you really brought it on yourself. If you despise the majority of the student body and feel that most of the teachers are inferior and proceed to antagonise them (numerous references found in the blog) then you really were asking for it.

It's not because you were an American, it's just because you were a bloody nonce

homeOwner wrote:
    I think this is the nub of the ops problem. He thinks that he is intelligent but that isnt being reflected in his exam results. People therefore think he isnt inteligent and he feels frustrated because he feels that the yardstick by which he is being measured (ie the LC) isnt a good indication of intelligence.

Would that be a fair summary Orionetheus?

It would indeed. Excellent comparison.

I know I'm smart because I got top marks on all of my 3 work experiences (Peats, A cyber cafe, and Microsoft's marketing department)

Furthermore I've bagged an internship with a small startup in Seattle that is looking for college students, but my CV impressed them.

I do debate, and was the assumed winner for Wesley College's Public Speaking award (turned out they wanted a 6th year but everyone thought I won)

I have many attributes that are exemplified in the states (we have to give presentations and speeches regularly) we have to write 3+ papers per term that are longer than 2 pages...

I may not be able to explain titrations in chemistry...but I can convince you of something in an Argument

jimi_t wrote:

God forbid you might actually STUDY for exams! And yet you blame flunking the irish education system on a number of different factors - none of them your shortcomings - i.e. the standard at teaching @ wesley, your fellow students, the school books, the irish education system in general

My point was that homework made it so I had no need to study, I should have just to get the A's. But the required homework does make one remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

one exam left

My point was that homework made it so I had no need to study, I should have just to get the A's. But the required homework does make one remember...

Yes but what about every other point you've made that you've failed to address? I'm afraid this is simply more evidence of your blindness to reality.

How have I failed on the net?

Just a generally failure to keep your Arguments ( as you seem to pride yourself on that ability) co-herent between this thread and you blog.

Several times you have said one thing on your blog, then said anothe thing here.

I believe the basis of any Argument is it's foundation, yours seems to be a little shaky.

I'm sure your a smart guy, however just because you cannot excel in a system does not mean the system is bad, and while you say you only mean Wesley when you say such things on several occasions you have made broad and sweeping statements that encompass large groups of people, often the whole country.

You then seem to act as if you never made these insults. None of this implies, to me at least, that you are particularly intelligent. I'm sure your smart, and may even possess a certain low animal cunning, but intelligent any ones standards is nothing something i would accuse you off.

Mostly because you fail to see the flaws in your own arguments and even why people may react badly to the way you put them forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

It would indeed. Excellent comparison.

I know I'm smart because I got top marks on all of my 3 work experiences (Peats, A cyber cafe, and Microsoft's marketing department)

Furthermore I've bagged an internship with a small startup in Seattle that is looking for college students, but my CV impressed them.

I do debate, and was the assumed winner for Wesley College's Public Speaking award (turned out they wanted a 6th year but everyone thought I won)

I have many attributes that are exemplified in the states (we have to give presentations and speeches regularly) we have to write 3+ papers per term that are longer than 2 pages...

I may not be able to explain titrations in chemistry...but I can convince you of something in an Argument

Here you are your very own blue peter badge!!! WOO!! You failed to adreess my question btw.. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement