Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

2 years come and gone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I know I'm smart because I got top marks on all of my 3 work experiences (Peats, A cyber cafe, and Microsoft's marketing department)

I'm not sure how doing your work experience in a succession of low paying, unskilled jobs (with the exception of Microsoft which you probably need a degree for) is ANY indication of intelligence or otherwise
    I may not be able to explain titrations in chemistry...but I can convince you of something in an Argument

Doesn't seem like you're convincing anyone here, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

I know I'm smart because I got top marks on all of my 3 work experiences (Peats, A cyber cafe, and Microsoft's marketing department)

Furthermore I've bagged an internship with a small startup in Seattle that is looking for college students, but my CV impressed them.

I do debate, and was the assumed winner for Wesley College's Public Speaking award (turned out they wanted a 6th year but everyone thought I won)

I have many attributes that are exemplified in the states (we have to give presentations and speeches regularly) we have to write 3+ papers per term that are longer than 2 pages...

I may not be able to explain titrations in chemistry...but I can convince you of something in an Argument

These are all worthwhile things and do demonstrate a level of intelligence, but you have to see that they are not the only types of intelligence nor an indicator of higher intelligence which you purport to have.

I could equally say that you can talk your way out of a paper bag but you cant seem to grasp the simple concepts of logic. Does that mean you are thick? No, but it doesnt make you Einstein either. I dont think you see the difference. Most intelligent people have a really good grasp of both the bookish type skills that the LC requires and quick wit and thinking required for debating and getting jobs.

I'm not sure you can be considered to be highly intelligent if you cant do the book learning type stuff of basic reading something, understanding it and answering questions. If you understand something you dont need to memorise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I have to say, the Irish school system is ****e. I hated every second of school. Stupid rules, uniforms, and the leaving cert were the worst.

Where I went to school, the teachers spent most of their time giving out about if a person was wearing runners instead of black shoes, or if the tie was tied incorrectly, or not wearing that itchy jumper! Its abit pointless really, I just kept thinking...will you just get on with it and teach us something!

And as for the Leaving Cert its a complete joke! All that stress for 2 weeks in June are not healthy, it cant be. The Leaving Cert needs to be overhauled because it just isn't fair. If the exams were continuous assessment then it might relieve some of the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

lol

Look, this guy is clearly just looking for attention. I read through a bit of his blog there, and it's fairly clear he needs a kick in the balls at school. In one post, he skipped chemistry to 'study', when confronted by his teacher he erupted into rage cursing him/her and this country, then 'because of embarrasment' skipped the last class of school, gave cheek to a teacher and went home.

My final contribution to this thread will be this: shut the **** up.

(Oh, and your 'tips' on how to make a good speech.......oh dear. "Research, but not too much!" Genius!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

most people on the southside make more than 40,000 a year.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You have got to be joking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Orionetheus

Dragan wrote:
    Just a generally failure to keep your Arguments ( as you seem to pride yourself on that ability) co-herent between this thread and you blog.

Several times you have said one thing on your blog, then said anothe thing here.

I believe the basis of any Argument is it's foundation, yours seems to be a little shaky.

I'm sure your a smart guy, however just because you cannot excel in a system does not mean the system is bad, and while you say you only mean Wesley when you say such things on several occasions you have made broad and sweeping statements that encompass large groups of people, often the whole country.

You then seem to act as if you never made these insults. None of this implies, to me at least, that you are particularly intelligent. I'm sure your smart, and may even possess a certain low animal cunning, but intelligent any ones standards is nothing something i would accuse you off.

Mostly because you fail to see the flaws in your own arguments and even why people may react badly to the way you put them forward.

Or maybe you interpret my arguments the wrong way? It could be any number of things.

My main points are

1.I work hard
    2.I dont work well in an exam based system with no homework
    3.I am confident, not arrogant, arrogant would be me saying I'm better than everyone else because I'm american or the such. Confidence is KNOWING I'm better than someone else because reason xyz
    4.I generalise, but I do so because a majority of people who do xyz often have traits abc....it doesn't stop me from befriending or liking them.
    5.It's hard to keep up 5 concurrent arguments :-P

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You have got to be joking

not my actual guess ;) Just an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I was going to start something here, but then I thought for a second, and what's the point.

Ok I will try... OP, woop-di-doo, fantastic stuff you wrote there, glad to see you've picked up your balls and are deciding to leave... life wasn't all roses and cherry blossoms! :eek: No-one else has bad experiences like yours in school, its only you, wow that's tough. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

My main points are

1.I work hard

You were given bloody homework, you were just too cool to do it because it wasn't "logical" - according to what you've written on your blog anyway
    I am confident, not arrogant... Confidence is KNOWING I'm better than someone else because reason xyz

YOU ARE THE SINGLE MOST ARROGANT PERSON I HAVE EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE OF BEING EXPOSED TO IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

I see no possible benefit in continuing this conversation for either me or you - you're beyond the point of return.
    Get some professional help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

1.I work hard

I'm sure you do.

We know that, but the ability to do so is a major aspect of being above average intelligent. If you are not doing well in the system it is because you are not intellectual able enough.
    3.I am confident, not arrogant, arrogant would be me saying I'm better than everyone else because I'm american or the such. Confidence is KNOWING I'm better than someone else because reason xyz

Really????? Look at the below ( see what i mean about you not keeping all your arguments in line? )
    I’m smarter (I know I sound quite arrogant) than many kids in my school

4.I generalise, but I do so because a majority of people who do xyz often have traits abc....it doesn't stop me from befriending or liking them.

Indeed, however you generalise to an astounding degree, Wesley = bad so the entire Irish Education system and country = bad.

You met some idiots from the Southside so all Southsiders = idiots.

Everyone on the Southside earns more than 40,000.

Such lines of thinking do not imply intelligence, nor does you attempt to justify them.
    5.It's hard to keep up 5 concurrent arguments :-P

Not really, if your clever enough. Besides, your "5" arguments are all, in fact, the same.

• Advertisement

if you knew anything you would know that the "true class divide" to be horribly stereotypical is a east/west divide. And the so called southsider you refer to is a small section of the southside.

You are a prat. I remember you from another site and you were a prat then too.

On the SAT thing i did them when i was 13 and got 1100. Therefore with the score you obtained you must not be ths sharpest tool in the shed.

And the reason you did **** here is the irish system is harder. If you sudenly go from being good to bad it is the type of education no?

d4gurl wrote:
    In America - freedom is promorted i understand - so much so that children bring in guns and shoot their classmate...now I do not see that happening in Ireland - do you? Why? I don't know... perhaps you do?

Sorry! Didn't mean to.

Let's go with statistics, there are what 300 million.

Out of all them, 100 people over the last 15 years have taken a gun into school and shot people up.

100/300,000,000

thats 3.333333333333333333333 to the power of -7

coincidentally, my old school had such a thing happen the year after I left, but the kid was stopped prior to it.

You don't see it happen in Ireland because no one except farmers and gardai own weapons. There are plenty of knives etc...and lots of beatings I'm aware of.

The only reason you've heard of columbine etc, is because the press made it out to be a huge thing (it isn't) in fact I agree and support the two kids that did it. Now maybe they shouldn't of KILLED but maybe they should have shot a leg to scare them a bit. Harsh reality, but those kids were treated like **** and they had their revenge.

I would never of heard of columbine if not for the press, I don't google for school shootings...

But relating back, why is alcohol such a bad problem here? America has guns, you have alcohol, although that exists in such larger concentrations.

you have a donation thing on your blog

sad príck

You don't see it happen in Ireland because no one except farmers and gardai own weapons. There are plenty of knives etc...and lots of beatings I'm aware of.

Indeed, keep telling yourself. While out gun problem is completely minor, there are plenty of people out there with guns my friend.

As for the guy who brough the gun to your school, i assume he was looking for you???? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ha yeah, the SAT's were harder than I anticipated, I studied my ass off for them (even ordered study guide matierials) when I got the results and didn't do too hot. But I havent been in the correct maths clasess.

Most kids get sub 1000 on their first try on the SAT's. 2nd try I'm expecting upwards of 1100.

Hopefully I'll do better this september, I havent done half the maths on the SAT. I'm correcting that this summer with Summer School.
    I got 1120 on the SATs when I was 12. Just saying.

Dragan wrote:
    Indeed, however you generalise to an astounding degree, Wesley = bad so the entire Irish Education system and country = bad.

You met some idiots from the Southside so all Southsiders = idiots.

1st, I haven't condemed the ENTIRE Irish system, I condemed Wesley. It's in the first post if you read that...

I've met some sound southsiders that I plan to keep in touch with.

Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

.I am confident, not arrogant, arrogant would be me saying I'm better than everyone else because I'm american or the such. Confidence is KNOWING I'm better than someone else because reason xyz

Dear oh dear......I think you are the very definition of arrogant.

Arrogant (Ar"ro*gant) (#), a.
    [F. arrogant, L. arrogans, p. pr. of arrogare. See Arrogate.]

1. Making, or having the disposition to make, exorbitant claims of rank or estimation; giving one's self an undue degree of importance; assuming; haughty;
    2. Containing arrogance; marked with arrogance; proceeding from undue claims or self-importance; -- applied to things; as, arrogant pretensions or behavior.

Synonyms -- Magisterial; lordly; proud; assuming; overbearing; presumptuous; haughty.

jimi_t wrote:
    You were given bloody homework, you were just too cool to do it because it wasn't "logical" - according to what you've written on your blog anyway

Actually I wasn't. I got some...I did it all. But no more than one essay per month....no worksheets...no quizzes or tests......

ZILCH.

Nuff said.

Not really no, because for a guy who claims to be great at Arguments, you just ignore points that you don't want to admit to. I have seen you do it a dozen times in this thread, and quite frankly it's gone from a funny display of your inability to think to just being rude.

I'm afraid my friend that the jury is in, you are definitely below par intelligence, have no manners and are in short, the worst type of advertisement for you country. :D Now you just run on home dear boy!

I'm afraid you have had many people tear your arguments apart here, and whether you want to admit it or not it has happened. Your just an arrogant young man, who someday will lose his temper or express his own brand of "agro logic" to someone who will simply put you in your place, very hard and very fast.

Wish i was there to see it.

Dragan wrote:
    As for the guy who brough the gun to your school, i assume he was looking for you???? :D

No, I didn't go to that school Anymore, I was in High school he was in Middle School. He was looking for one other kid. He brought 2 bullets one for the kid and one for himself

People feel more safe in NYC at 4 am then they do at Temple Bar at 10pm.

• Advertisement

homeOwner wrote:
    Dear oh dear......I think you are the very definition of arrogant.

Arrogant (Ar"ro*gant) (#), a.
    [F. arrogant, L. arrogans, p. pr. of arrogare. See Arrogate.]

1. Making, or having the disposition to make, exorbitant claims of rank or estimation; giving one's self an undue degree of importance; assuming; haughty;
    2. Containing arrogance; marked with arrogance; proceeding from undue claims or self-importance; -- applied to things; as, arrogant pretensions or behavior.

Synonyms -- Magisterial; lordly; proud; assuming; overbearing; presumptuous; haughty.

Definitions of confidence on the Web:

* assurance: freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities; "his assurance in his superiority did not make him popular"; "after that failure he lost his confidence"; "she spoke with authority"
    * a feeling of trust (in someone or something); "I have confidence in our team"; "confidence is always borrowed, never owned"
    * a state of confident hopefulness that events will be favorable; "public confidence in the economy"
    * a trustful relationship; "he took me into his confidence"; "he betrayed their trust"

There is a thin line between Arrogance and Confidence, sometimes the line becomes blurred.

I know It's doomed to be interpreted as Arrogant as soon as one realises that this entire post is directed at me...when it should be directed at the report itself and not flaming me.

It would be arrogant of me to say you're wrong "because I say so" or something along those lines, I've taken the time to answer (almost) every counter argument....I've even conceded a few points (I needed to study for sure)

People feel more safe in NYC at 4 am then they do at Temple Bar at 10pm.

There's more of those generalisatons......."some people told me", or "a guy told me"....i would doubt that everyone you meet expressed such an opinion.

In fact most people i know seem to over estimate how safe Dublin is tbh.

Youjust can't help yourself can ya kiddo!!! ;)

I've taken the time to answer (almost) every counter argument....

Rubbish, there are dozens of points raised that you haven't replied to....reply to a post is one thing, replying to the arguments within that post is quite another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

But did you know they have more guns in Canada than the people of America? Yes that is true my friend...but you do not here of gun crime to such a large extent...I feel sorry for you seriously I do....But why did you not just move to the institute or some other school? (some boy in my year dyed his hair pink he got no stink over it!) In the institute freedom of thought blah are there...no big rules really! As I understand it the fees are in around the same? My dear boy, why then did you not up and leave the school you detested so much after a year or 6 months for that matter? Also do you understand where this heated confrontation on these boards is coming from? Anyway im off to do some chemistry!

Dragan wrote:
    Not really no, because for a guy who claims to be great at Arguments, you just ignore points that you don't want to admit to. I have seen you do it a dozen times in this thread, and quite frankly it's gone from a funny display of your inability to think to just being rude.

I'm afraid my friend that the jury is in, you are definitely below par intelligence, have no manners and are in short, the worst type of advertisement for you country. :D Now you just run on home dear boy!

I'm afraid you have had many people tear your arguments apart here, and whether you want to admit it or not it has happened. Your just an arrogant young man, who someday will lose his temper or express his own brand of "agro logic" to someone who will simply put you in your place, very hard and very fast.

Wish i was there to see it.

I've lost track of arguments inbetween page updates whilst I am typing.

I know I'm going to do fine, I might do better than fine. I know that I will do well. That's all that metters.

I'm used to having people tear my arguments apart, I do debate :-P I can only improve on it.

While all of you have been ripping on me, I've gotten around a dozen people or so either mailing me telling me I'm right, PMing me or leaving me comments saying I'm right.

bottom line.......

I am a smart kid, yes I've made mistakes we all have at some point, WC doesn't work for me, and I don't like the geographical socio economic divide in Dublin.

Please, stop replying unless the reply is relevant to the actual report and not bashing me. I'm not bashing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

The only reason you've heard of columbine etc, is because the press made it out to be a huge thing (it isn't) in fact I agree and support the two kids that did it. Now maybe they shouldn't of KILLED but maybe they should have shot a leg to scare them a bit. Harsh reality, but those kids were treated like **** and they had their revenge.

Ok, you can leave the country now thanks.

I am a smart kid

you got under 1000 on you SAT!

that != smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Here there is a geographical socio economic divide in every city in the world!! Hell the divide exists in little villages in timbaktu! From what I know Wesley is a multi cultured school no?

d4gurl wrote:
    But did you know they have more guns in Canada than the people of America? Yes that is true my friend...but you do not here of gun crime to such a large extent...I feel sorry for you seriously I do....But why did you not just move to the institute or some other school? (some boy in my year dyed his hair pink he got no stink over it!) In the institute freedom of thought blah are there...no big rules really! As I understand it the fees are in around the same? My dear boy, why then did you not up and leave the school you detested so much after a year or 6 months for that matter? Also do you understand where this heated confrontation on these boards is coming from? Anyway im off to do some chemistry!

Mi padre, would not allow it! If we had stayed another year I would have gone to the Instituite for sure, but I asked several times to leave the school and do online coursework (www.apex.com for example) he wanted me to stick it out, so I did.
    Good luck with chemistry! I didn't do too hot on my final exam despite cramming 100+ hours since Feb.

• Advertisement

d4gurl wrote:
    Here there is a geographical socio economic divide in every city in the world!! Hell the divide exists in little villages in timbaktu! From what I know Wesley is a multi cultured school no?

It is in some ways, there are boarders, but the boarders hang with the boarders. The day pupils with the day pupils.

There is some mixing, but not a lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement