Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kim Wilde

Options
  • 19-06-2006 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here remember this child of the 80s? I just saw her on tv doing some tacky Harold and Barret commercial and I have to say she looks pretty damn good for her age. Don't even get me started on that irresistablr accent! Apparently she's had her own gardening show on BBC for years now and is planning a comeback album this year. Hopefully we'll be seeing more of her soon. I think she's being doing some TV spots recently. Her 80's tunes are all cheesy classics. Everyhting I love about that decade in a nutshell. Surely I'm not the only one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope, I'm with ya too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

She does or did a gradening show too. She was dating Chris Evans for a good while.Her brother wrote the songs and her sister was out in a band a while ago maybe 3-5 years ago not sure.

Strange I know so much about Kim Wilde.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Strange I know so much about Kim Wilde.:o

And her dad was a singer in the 50s/60s - Marty Wilde.

I will happily admit to owning a few of her records as a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I saw her at Michael Jackson's gig in Cork a few years ago - She was a major crush for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Never really liked her "music" but quite liked the look of her though. Also Suzi Hoffs from the Bangles and Balinda Carlisle. Yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Kids in America is one of the best pop songs of all time!!! Also, Cambodia, View From a Bridge and Chequered Love are pretty darn great. Kim Wilde's sound wasn't even that naff. It was kind of Blondie-ish - a little bit New Wavey. Those songs came out at the very start of the eighties, but then she signed to Stock, Aitken and Waterman. Still though, I quite like her cover of The Supremes' Keep Me Hanging On.
    Another one of her contemporaries was the group Altered Images, with Claire Grogan on vocals. She does some presenting on VH1 and a bit of acting. She was in Gregory's Girl and was the crazy feminist singer in Father Ted:D. They were absolutely superb! Again, catchy pop but with more than a hint of New Wave. Happy Birthday would be their best known song, but they also had a few other crackers - I Could Be Happy, See Those Eyes and the fantastic Don't Talk To Me About Love. If you haven't checked them out yet, do it now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Dudess wrote:
    Kids in America is one of the best pop songs of all time!!! Also, Cambodia, View From a Bridge and Chequered Love are pretty darn great. Kim Wilde's sound wasn't even that naff. It was kind of Blondie-ish - a little bit New Wavey. Those songs came out at the very start of the eighties, but then she signed to Stock, Aitken and Waterman. Still though, I quite like her cover of The Supremes' Keep Me Hanging On.

You Keep Me Hangin' On is one of the best cover versions ever! Much as I love The Supremes, Kim Wilde walks all over the original. Her version of If I Can't Have You was another good one, and herself and Mel in the Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree video is absolutely priceless.
    Another one of her contemporaries was the group Altered Images, with Claire Grogan on vocals. She does some presenting on VH1 and a bit of acting. She was in Gregory's Girl and was the crazy feminist singer in Father Ted:D. They were absolutely superb! Again, catchy pop but with more than a hint of New Wave. Happy Birthday would be their best known song, but they also had a few other crackers - I Could Be Happy, See Those Eyes and the fantastic Don't Talk To Me About Love. If you haven't checked them out yet, do it now!!!

I vaguely remember Claire Grogan from VH1 back in the late 90s. Of course I only remember cos I thought she was really sexy. Thx for the heads up, I'll check them out sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

Clair Grogan was very cute. She is still pretty cute

I saw her bing interviewed about the 80s and it was quite funny. She basically said she turned into a bitch as she was so successful so quickly. She had a a number 1 movie, song and album within a year. SHe thought the rest of her carear was going to be the same

Altered Iamages had a pretty decent pop album and "Happy Birthday" is a pop classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I agree. I sooner watch her today rolling around in the muck as she is now than watch her bopping away to "Kids in America" as she was 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Clair Grogan was very cute. She is still pretty cute
    Wasn't she in Eastenders for a while too?

Oh yeah, that's right. She played a journalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Kids in America is one of my all-time favourite singles. Proper New-Wave pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

stone is a good song from the close album

Very pretty girl, but a bit mullet-tastic early on. Still, s'pose that was the trend back then. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

kim was class,,,, everything about her song "you came" was brilliant,,, great video in which she was sexy as hell cause she was out of her 80's big hair look and her voice was matured and sexy.

i has a major crush on her at this stage, i think my crush-ometer went something like this

suzanne hoffs
    patsy kensit
    wendy james
    tiffany
    terri nunn

and the list goes on

"You Came" is class! Stock, Aitken and Waterman were mostly lame but were capable of producing the odd gem.

Package wrote:
    kim was class,,,, everything about her song "you came" was brilliant,,, great video in which she was sexy as hell cause she was out of her 80's big hair look and her voice was matured and sexy.

Here it is in all of its glory. Guess she isn't a natural blonde then:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q986s3PvfBo

And here's Patsy Kensit with her "well-known" group Eighth Wonder:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoVdLANFBNE

Ah, late eighties popstrels ftw!!! (with the exception of Debbie Gibson and Tiffany - ew!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Dudess wrote:
    "You Came" is class! Stock, Aitken and Waterman were mostly lame but were capable of producing the odd gem.

Had that 7" - loved the b-side 'Stone' too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

Dudess wrote:
    Here it is in all of its glory.

hmmmmm, "you Came"

actually the name of that song rings quite true when it comes to that video and me if ya get me,, haha :rolleyes:

Advertisement